Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Subscription'
- a payment for consecutive issues of a newspaper or magazine for a given period of time
- agreement expressed by (or as if expressed by) signing your name
- a pledged contribution
- the act of signing your name; writing your signature (as on a document); "the deed was attested by the subscription of his signature"
- Subscription \Sub*scrip"tion\, n. [L. subscriptio: cf. F.
- The act of subscribing.
- That which is subscribed. Specifically: (a) A paper to which a signature is attached. (b) The signature attached to a paper. (c) Consent or attestation by underwriting the name. (d) Sum subscribed; amount of sums subscribed; as, an individual subscription to a fund.
- (Eccl.) The acceptance of articles, or other tests tending to promote uniformity; esp. (Ch. of Eng.), formal assent to the Thirty-nine Articles and the Book of Common Prayer, required before ordination.
- Submission; obedience. [Obs.] You owe me no subscription. --Shak.
- (Pharm.) That part of a prescription which contains the direction to the apothecary.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Subscription'
The subscription business model is a business model where a customer must pay a subscription price to have access to the product/service. The model was pioneered by magazines and newspapers, but is now used by many businesses and websites.
The first UK subscription newsletter was the London Property Letter launched in the early 1960s by Sylvester Stein, previously editor of South Africa's Drum magazine. The London Property Letter utilized the standing order payment where the subscriber signed up for a continuous annual payment from his or her bank account. Around the same time, the Consumer's Association launched Which? magazine using the same standing order techniques.
In 1982, Running magazine was launched by Sylvester Stein to cater for the new jogging and running craze that had arrived from the USA.[See more about Subscription at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Subscription'
Subscription Sample Sentences in News
- Target Is Seriously Expanding Its Online Subscription Service
Target's online subscription service launched in September with just 150 baby-care items. Now, it's increasing its product offering tenfold, offering everything from K-cups to dog food for regular delivery.... Read more on this news related to 'Subscription'
- Subscription-based services are changing the shopping game
Automate your life. Read more on this news related to 'Subscription'
- Target expands subscription service tenfold
Target is taking aim at rival Amazon by expanding a service that regularly delivers products to shoppers' homes. The nation's second-largest discounter started its subscription service in September by ... Read more on this news related to 'Subscription'