Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Subscription'
- a payment for consecutive issues of a newspaper or magazine for a given period of time
- agreement expressed by (or as if expressed by) signing your name
- a pledged contribution
- the act of signing your name; writing your signature (as on a document); "the deed was attested by the subscription of his signature"
- Subscription \Sub*scrip"tion\, n. [L. subscriptio: cf. F.
- The act of subscribing.
- That which is subscribed. Specifically: (a) A paper to which a signature is attached. (b) The signature attached to a paper. (c) Consent or attestation by underwriting the name. (d) Sum subscribed; amount of sums subscribed; as, an individual subscription to a fund.
- (Eccl.) The acceptance of articles, or other tests tending to promote uniformity; esp. (Ch. of Eng.), formal assent to the Thirty-nine Articles and the Book of Common Prayer, required before ordination.
- Submission; obedience. [Obs.] You owe me no subscription. --Shak.
- (Pharm.) That part of a prescription which contains the direction to the apothecary.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Subscription'
The subscription business model is a business model where a customer must pay a subscription price to have access to the product/service. The model was pioneered by magazines and newspapers, but is now used by many businesses and websites.
The first UK subscription newsletter was the London Property Letter launched in the early 1960s by Sylvester Stein, previously editor of South Africa's Drum magazine. The London Property Letter utilized the standing order payment where the subscriber signed up for a continuous annual payment from his or her bank account. Around the same time, the Consumer's Association launched Which? magazine using the same standing order techniques.
In 1982, Running magazine was launched by Sylvester Stein to cater for the new jogging and running craze that had arrived from the USA.[See more about Subscription at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Subscription'
Subscription Sample Sentences in News
- WhereverTV Inks Internet TV Subscription Deal in Europe
WhereverTV Broadcasting Corp. , a leader in delivering Over the Top subscription television services to a variety of devices including Connected TVs, streaming media players, smartphones and TabletPCs, ... Read more on this news related to 'Subscription'
- SAP adds subscription pricing for Hana cloud services
SAP is introducing a set of new subscription pricing options for its Hana in-memory cloud computing platform, in a move that falls in step with the pay-as-you-go model common in the cloud computing industry. Customers were already able to bring their existing on-premises Hana in-memory database licenses to SAP’s infrastructure service. Now it’s possible to buy Read more on this news related to 'Subscription'
- CNET survey: Will you renew your Creative Cloud subscription?
Jefferies and CNET are conducting a new survey about Adobe's subscription program and increasingly elderly CS6 software. Will you renew? What competing products have you bought? [Read more] Read more on this news related to 'Subscription'