Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Subscription'
- a payment for consecutive issues of a newspaper or magazine for a given period of time
- agreement expressed by (or as if expressed by) signing your name
- a pledged contribution
- the act of signing your name; writing your signature (as on a document); "the deed was attested by the subscription of his signature"
- Subscription \Sub*scrip"tion\, n. [L. subscriptio: cf. F.
- The act of subscribing.
- That which is subscribed. Specifically: (a) A paper to which a signature is attached. (b) The signature attached to a paper. (c) Consent or attestation by underwriting the name. (d) Sum subscribed; amount of sums subscribed; as, an individual subscription to a fund.
- (Eccl.) The acceptance of articles, or other tests tending to promote uniformity; esp. (Ch. of Eng.), formal assent to the Thirty-nine Articles and the Book of Common Prayer, required before ordination.
- Submission; obedience. [Obs.] You owe me no subscription. --Shak.
- (Pharm.) That part of a prescription which contains the direction to the apothecary.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Subscription'
The subscription business model is a business model where a customer must pay a subscription price to have access to the product/service. The model was pioneered by magazines and newspapers, but is now used by many businesses and websites.
The first UK subscription newsletter was the London Property Letter launched in the early 1960s by Sylvester Stein, previously editor of South Africa's Drum magazine. The London Property Letter utilized the standing order payment where the subscriber signed up for a continuous annual payment from his or her bank account. Around the same time, the Consumer's Association launched Which? magazine using the same standing order techniques.
In 1982, Running magazine was launched by Sylvester Stein to cater for the new jogging and running craze that had arrived from the USA.[See more about Subscription at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Subscription'
Subscription Sample Sentences in News
- Manulife Opts for Subscription Receipts Preferred by Canada
Manulife Financial (MFC) successfully raises C$2.26 billion to fund its previously announced acquisition of the Canadian operations of Standard Life plc. Read more on this news related to 'Subscription'
- Manulife completes $2.26 billion subscription receipt offerings
Manulife completes $2.26 billion subscription receipt offerings Read more on this news related to 'Subscription'
- CUR Media Selects Zuora's Subscription Platform to Power CUR's New Social Music Service
CÜR Media , today announced it has contracted with Zuora, Inc., a leader in subscription billing and mobile commerce, to utilize its Relationship Business Management platform to process subscriptions for ... Read more on this news related to 'Subscription'