Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Straying'
Straying Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : unable to find your way; "found the straying sheep"
- Stray \Stray\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Strayed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Straying.] [OF. estraier, estraer, to stray, or as adj.,
stray, fr. (assumed) L. stratarius roving the streets, fr. L.
strata (sc. via) a paved road. See Street, and Stray, a.]
- To wander, as from a direct course; to deviate, or go out of the way. Thames among the wanton valleys strays. --Denham.
- To wander from company, or from the proper limits; to rove at large; to roam; to go astray. Now, until the break of day, Through this house each fairy stray. --Shak. A sheep doth very often stray. --Shak.
- Figuratively, to wander from the path of duty or rectitude; to err. We have erred and strayed from thy ways. --??? of Com. Prayer. While meaner things, whom instinct leads, Are rarely known to stray. --Cowper. Syn: To deviate; err; swerve; rove; roam; wander.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Straying'
Words and phrases related to 'Straying'
Straying Sample Sentences in News
- Into the lion's den! Warthog meets its maker after straying into big cat's path
The incredible sequence was caught on camera at the Addo Elephant Park in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa Read more on this news related to 'Straying'
- Sony Strays Further from Roots into Real Estate
Sony, which made its name as the electronics company that produced the Walkman portable music player and Trinitron television, is straying further from its roots into real estate. Read more on this news related to 'Straying'
- AT&T, Chernin to Invest $500 Million in Online Video Services
AT&T Inc. (T) and the Chernin Group are investing more than $500 million to acquire or build online video services, joining Netflix Inc. and Amazon.com Inc. in the rush to draw viewers who are straying from traditional TV. Read more on this news related to 'Straying'