Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Straying'
Straying Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : unable to find your way; "found the straying sheep"
- Stray \Stray\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Strayed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Straying.] [OF. estraier, estraer, to stray, or as adj.,
stray, fr. (assumed) L. stratarius roving the streets, fr. L.
strata (sc. via) a paved road. See Street, and Stray, a.]
- To wander, as from a direct course; to deviate, or go out of the way. Thames among the wanton valleys strays. --Denham.
- To wander from company, or from the proper limits; to rove at large; to roam; to go astray. Now, until the break of day, Through this house each fairy stray. --Shak. A sheep doth very often stray. --Shak.
- Figuratively, to wander from the path of duty or rectitude; to err. We have erred and strayed from thy ways. --??? of Com. Prayer. While meaner things, whom instinct leads, Are rarely known to stray. --Cowper. Syn: To deviate; err; swerve; rove; roam; wander.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Straying'
Words and phrases related to 'Straying'
Straying Sample Sentences in News
- Nylon net fencing brings down man-tiger conflict
The straying of Royal Bengal Tigers into villages around the Sunderbans forest has seen a dramatic decline after erection of nylon net fencing on the forest-village interface. Not a singl... Read more on this news related to 'Straying'
- Detroit EM Orr to speak at U-M on ‘Future of Detroit Urban Governance’
The oracle speaks! Straying from the usual exclusive (!) visits to local editorial boards and radio stations, Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr will make a rare public appearance later this month the University of Michigan’s Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy. Orr, 55, will deliver a lecture titled “The Future of Detroit Urban Governance” inside a ball Read more on this news related to 'Straying'
- OPPD salaries, perks keep staff from straying
The compensation is good, board members say, but not out of line with other public utilities. Read more on this news related to 'Straying'