Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Strangulation'
- the act of suffocating (someone) by constricting the windpipe; "no evidence that the choking was done by the accused" [syn: choking, strangling, throttling]
- the condition of having respiration stopped by compression of the air passage
- (pathology) constriction of a body part so as to cut off the flow of blood or other fluid; "strangulation of the intestine"
- Strangulation \Stran"gu*la`tion\, n. [L. strangulatio: cf. F.
strangulation. See Strangle.]
- The act of strangling, or the state of being strangled.
- (Med.) Inordinate compression or constriction of a tube or part, as of the throat; especially, such as causes a suspension of breathing, of the passage of contents, or of the circulation, as in cases of hernia.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Strangulation'
Strangling is compression of the neck that may lead to unconsciousness or death by causing an increasingly hypoxic state in the brain. Fatal strangling typically occurs in cases of violence, accidents, and as the auxiliary lethal mechanism in hangings in the event the neck does not break. Strangling does not have to be fatal; limited or interrupted strangling is practiced in erotic asphyxia, in the choking game, and is an important technique in many combat sports and self-defense systems.
Strangling can be divided into three general types according to the mechanism used:
Strangling involves one or several mechanisms that interfere with the normal flow of oxygen into the brain:
In some martial arts (such as Judo) a distinction is made between a strangle, which interferes with the flow of blood to the brain, and a choke, which interferes with the airway. Depending on the particular method of strangulation, one or several of these typically occur in combination; vascular obstruction is usually the main mechanism.[See more about Strangulation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Strangulation'
Strangulation Sample Sentences in News
- HPD seeks 'Maria' in 2012 strangulation case
Houston authorities are searching for woman who might have information about the 2012 strangulation death of 45-year-old Lidia Jaramillo. Described only as Hispanic and possibly named Maria, the woman is being sought for questioning in the Jaramillo case, according to the Houston Police Department. Read more on this news related to 'Strangulation'
- Minister found dead in South L.A. home; strangulation suspected
Detectives are investigating the death of a 67-year-old man whose body was found in a South Los Angeles home after he was apparently strangled, authorities said. Read more on this news related to 'Strangulation'
- USDA looks at U-M animal research after baboon's strangulation death
The U.S. Department of Agriculture plans to review incidents involving animal research at University of Michigan that included the accidental strangulation death of a baboon. Read more on this news related to 'Strangulation'