Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Statesman'
n : a man who is a respected leader in national or international
affairs [syn: solon, national leader]
- Statesman \States"man\, n.; pl. Statesmen.
- A man versed in public affairs and in the principles and art of government; especially, one eminent for political abilities. The minds of some of our statesmen, like the pupil of the human eye, contract themselves the more, the stronger light there is shed upon them. --More.
- One occupied with the affairs of government, and influental in shaping its policy.
- A small landholder. [Prov. Eng.] --Halliwell.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Statesman'
A statesperson is usually a politician or other notable public figure who has had a long and respected career in politics or government at the national and international level. As a term of respect, it is usually left to supporters or commentators to use the term. When politicians retire, they are often referred to as elder statesmen.
Statesmanship also conveys a quality of leadership that organically brings people together and of eldership, a spirit of caring for others and for the whole.
The words statesman or stateswoman are applied loosely to any head of state, any senior political figure, or anyone who in a given moment exhibits a certain quality of statesmanship.[See more about Statesman at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Statesman'
'Statesman' in famous quotation sentence
* Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events. - Sir Winston Churchill
* It will not be any European statesman who will unite Europe Europe will be united by the Chinese. - Charles De Gaulle
Click here for more related quotations on 'Statesman'
Statesman Sample Sentences in News
- Week in Reviews: In lieu of a review, Statesman...
In lieu of a review, Statesman critic Matthew Odam rounds up seven recommended salads, including Épicerie's. The Chronicle skipped reviews this week in order to cover the upcoming Hot Sauce Festival. Hopefully next week someone will file a report on... Read more on this news related to 'Statesman'
- Menu Porn: Statesman critic Matthew Odam is super...
Statesman critic Matthew Odam is super pleased Whole Foods finally granted his long-held wish for online menus. He also explains why online menus are handy, a lesson one would not think restaurants need in 2014, and yet it took a... Read more on this news related to 'Statesman'
- Anti-First Looks: Dining public, Statesman critic Matthew Odam...
Dining public, Statesman critic Matthew Odam would like to remind you "to take everything you hear about an unopened restaurant (positive or negative) w/ massive grain of salt." Why the dining public needs reminding of this fact at this very... Read more on this news related to 'Statesman'