Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Statesman'
n : a man who is a respected leader in national or international
affairs [syn: solon, national leader]
- Statesman \States"man\, n.; pl. Statesmen.
- A man versed in public affairs and in the principles and art of government; especially, one eminent for political abilities. The minds of some of our statesmen, like the pupil of the human eye, contract themselves the more, the stronger light there is shed upon them. --More.
- One occupied with the affairs of government, and influental in shaping its policy.
- A small landholder. [Prov. Eng.] --Halliwell.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Statesman'
A statesperson is usually a politician or other notable public figure who has had a long and respected career in politics or government at the national and international level. As a term of respect, it is usually left to supporters or commentators to use the term. When politicians retire, they are often referred to as elder statesmen.
Statesmanship also conveys a quality of leadership that organically brings people together and of eldership, a spirit of caring for others and for the whole.
The words statesman or stateswoman are applied loosely to any head of state, any senior political figure, or anyone who in a given moment exhibits a certain quality of statesmanship.[See more about Statesman at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Statesman'
'Statesman' in famous quotation sentence
* Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events. - Sir Winston Churchill
* It will not be any European statesman who will unite Europe Europe will be united by the Chinese. - Charles De Gaulle
Click here for more related quotations on 'Statesman'
Statesman Sample Sentences in News
- Mandela: A statesman who built a nation on the platform of his character
With the passing today of Nelson Mandela, the African continent has lost its most important elder statesman, and someone whose moral stature and leadership were a powerful mover of history for more than five decades. Mr. Mandela's crowning achievement was his ability to steer South Africa through a peaceful transition from apartheid to democracy after 27 Read more on this news related to 'Statesman'
- Nagy: World loses statesman in Mandela
World loses statesman in Mandela Nelson Mandela is gone. While most Americans have some idea of who he is, few can truly appreciate his significance. Mandela was born in 1918 in a small village in the ethnic Thembu area of South Africa. Read more on this news related to 'Statesman'
- Season for Caring: Energy efficiency coming to Del Castillo family’s home
When Amplify Credit Union decided to adopt Statesman Season for Caring recipient 76-year-old Ethel Black, it put out a call to a lot of the businesses they work with to help repair Black’s home. Read more on this news related to 'Statesman'