Stars Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Stars'?
Stars Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A star is a massive ball of plasma (very hot gas) held together by gravity. It radiates energy because of the nuclear reactions inside it.
It radiates heat and light, and every other part of the electromagnetic spectrum, such as radio waves, micro-waves, X-rays, gamma-rays and ultra-violet radiation. The proportions vary according to the mass and age of the star.
The energy of stars comes from nuclear fusion. This is a process that turns a light chemical element into another heavier element. Stars are mostly made of hydrogen and helium. They turn the hydrogen into helium by fusion. When a star is near the end of its life, it begins to change the helium into other heavier chemical elements, like carbon and oxygen. Fusion produces a lot of energy. The energy makes the star very hot. The energy produced by stars radiates away from them. The energy leaves as electromagnetic radiation.
Words and phrases related to 'Stars'
'Stars' example sentence in quotations
* All men have the stars, but they do not mean the same things for different people. For some they are guides, for others, no more than little lights in the sky. But all these are silent. You--you alone have the stars as no one else has them - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
* I met in the street a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat worn, his cloak was out at the elbows, the water passed through his shoes, - and the stars through his soul. - Victor Hugo
Click here for more related quotations on 'Stars'
Stars Sample Sentences in News
- Dallas Stars Impact Player Rankings #3: Jason Spezza
One year ago today (thereabout) as Dallas Stars training camp 2013 opened we had many questions on our minds. One of them was "Why do the Stars have so many third-line centers on the roster?", the implication being that there didn't really appear to be a clear number-two. Jim Nill must have at some point, probably long before our feeble-minded sensib Read more on this news related to 'Stars'
- Young Dallas Stars open camp more confident group
Jamie Benn and the young Dallas Stars are definitely a more confident group, though it took the captain a long time to get over how last season ended. In the first year under general manager Jim Nill and veteran coach Lindy Ruff, the Stars made it to the playoffs to snap the longest postseason drought in franchise history. ''It was a tough way to lose in G Read more on this news related to 'Stars'
- Dallas Stars 2014 Training Camp Observations: Jason Spezza, Radek Faksa Impress in Scrimmage
The Stars had a scrimmage on Friday, and we have some observations to share. The Dallas Stars hit the ice on Friday officially for the first time since the Game 6 loss to the Anaheim Ducks in April, in what was a rather lively and energetic practice for Group A that then rolled into a scrimmage between Groups B and C. A contingent of about 900 elementary students Read more on this news related to 'Stars'