Stars Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Stars'?
Stars Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A star is a massive ball of plasma (very hot gas) held together by gravity. It radiates energy because of the nuclear reactions inside it
It radiates heat and light, and every other part of the electromagnetic spectrum, such as radio waves, micro-waves, X-rays, gamma-rays and ultra-violet radiation. The proportions vary according to the mass and age of the star.
The energy of stars comes from nuclear fusion. This is a process that turns a light chemical element into another heavier element. Stars are mostly made of hydrogen and helium. They turn the hydrogen into helium by fusion. When a star is near the end of its life, it begins to change the helium into other heavier chemical elements, like carbon and oxygen. Fusion produces a lot of energy. The energy makes the star very hot. The energy produced by stars radiates away from them. The energy leaves as electromagnetic radiation.
Words and phrases related to 'Stars'
'Stars' example sentence in quotations
* All men have the stars, but they do not mean the same things for different people. For some they are guides, for others, no more than little lights in the sky. But all these are silent. You--you alone have the stars as no one else has them - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
* I met in the street a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat worn, his cloak was out at the elbows, the water passed through his shoes, - and the stars through his soul. - Victor Hugo
Click here for more related quotations on 'Stars'
Stars Sample Sentences in News
- Klingberg's 4-point night leads Stars to victory over Jets
WINNIPEG, Manitoba (AP) John Klingberg had a pair of goals and added two assists as the Dallas Stars scored four power-play goals in a 5-2 victory over the Winnipeg Jets on Saturday night. Read more on this news related to 'Stars'
- Stars beat Senators 6-3 in Spezza's return to Ottawa
Jamie Benn scored two goals, and the Stars beat the Senators 6-3 on Thursday in Spezza's first game in Ottawa since he was traded to Dallas in the offseason. Spezza made his NHL debut with Ottawa in 2002 and had spent his entire career with the Senators before the trade. The former Senators captain got a standing ovation from the crowd of 18,752 following a vi Read more on this news related to 'Stars'
- Lawmakers: Cut taxes for stars who play 4 nights in AC
Stars who play at least four nights in Atlantic City would be freed from having to pay state income taxes on all shows in the state that year under the latest proposal to revive the struggling seaside ... Read more on this news related to 'Stars'