Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Squander'
- spend thoughtlessly; throw away; "He wasted his inheritance on his insincere friends"; "You squandered the opportunity to get and advanced degree" [syn: waste, blow] [ant: conserve]
- spend extravagantly; "waste not, want not" [syn: consume, waste, ware]
- Squander \Squan"der\, v. i.
- To spend lavishly; to be wasteful. They often squandered, but they never gave. --Savage.
- To wander at random; to scatter. [R.] The wise man's folly is anatomized Even by squandering glances of the fool. --Shak.
- Squander \Squan"der\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Squandered; p. pr. &
vb. n. Squandering.] [Cf. Scot. squatter to splash water
about, to scatter, to squander, Prov. E. swatter, Dan.
sqvatte, Sw. sqv["a]tta to squirt, sqv["a]ttra to squander,
Icel. skvetta to squirt out, to throw out water.]
- To scatter; to disperse. [Obs.] Our squandered troops he rallies. --Dryden.
- To spend lavishly or profusely; to spend prodigally or wastefully; to use without economy or judgment; to dissipate; as, to squander an estate. The crime of squandering health is equal to the folly. --Rambler. Syn: To spend; expend; waste; scatter; dissipate.
- Squander \Squan"der\, n.
The act of squandering; waste.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Squander'
Squander (written as "$QUANDER" on the box and in the rules) is an Avalon Hill board game published in 1965. It is based loosely on the game Monopoly, but in reverse. As in Monopoly, players roll dice and move around a board, encountering opportunities to make financial decisions. The object, however, is to lose money rather than gain it. Each player starts with a million "Squanderbucks" and the winner is the first player to become bankrupt.
In financial terms, it mean to waste, or spend money[See more about Squander at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Squander'
'Squander' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Squander'
Squander Sample Sentences in News
- Miners Urge Chile Not to Squander Wealth in Development
The world’s biggest copper miners are urging Chile not to squander its mineral potential amid mounting environmental opposition, power shortages and rising labor costs and taxes in Latin America’s wealthiest economy. Read more on this news related to 'Squander'
- Jays squander early five-run lead, lose 10-8 to Orioles
Brett Lawrie continues to show signs of all the “positivity” he keeps talking about — but in reality, there’s a lot of patience and coaching behind his two-homer performance the past two games. Lawrie struck for a monster homer for the second time in as many nights on Wednesday, crushing a three-run blast against Baltimore. In fact, both Lawrie and Jose Re Read more on this news related to 'Squander'
- Penguins squander 3-goal lead, lose in OT
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- In the dressing room after Brandon Dubinsky's late goal forced overtime, Columbus Blue Jackets forward Nick Foligno half-jokingly said he'd get the winner. Read more on this news related to 'Squander'