Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Spurned'
Spurned Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- Spurn \Spurn\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Spurned; p. pr. & vb. n.
Spurning.] [OE. spurnen to kick against, to stumble over,
AS. spurnan to kick, offend; akin to spura spur, OS. & OHG.
spurnan to kick, Icel. spyrna, L. spernere to despise, Skr.
sphur to jerk, to push. [root]17
- See Spur.]
- To drive back or away, as with the foot; to kick. [The bird] with his foot will spurn adown his cup. --Chaucer. I spurn thee like a cur out of my way. --Shak.
- To reject with disdain; to scorn to receive or accept; to treat with contempt. What safe and nicely I might well delay By rule of knighthood, I disdain and spurn. --Shak. Domestics will pay a more cheerful service when they find themselves not spurned because fortune has laid them at their master's feet. --Locke.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Spurned'
Words and phrases related to 'Spurned'
Spurned Sample Sentences in News
- Spurned Victoria Quibell-Smith wrecked her home after being evicted by ex-husband's family
Victoria Quibell-Smith, 30, caused £8,000 damage in a wrecking spree at her house in Cwmbran, south Wales after splitting up with husband Paul. Read more on this news related to 'Spurned'
- KKR’s Spurned Offer for Treasury Puts Focus on Penfolds
KKR & Co. (KKR) ’s spurned $2.9 billion offer for Treasury Wine Estates Ltd. (TWE) , owner of the acclaimed Penfolds label, raises an intriguing question: How does a publicly traded vintner juggle quarterly earnings targets with producing some of the world’s finest wines? Read more on this news related to 'Spurned'
- Time Warner shares jump 13% on spurned 21st Century Fox offer
Time Warner shares jump 13% on spurned 21st Century Fox offer Read more on this news related to 'Spurned'