Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Spoiled'
- treated with excessive indulgence; "pampered from earliest childhood, he believed the world had been invented for his entertainment" [syn: coddled, pampered]
- having the character or disposition harmed by pampering or oversolicitous attention; "a spoiled child" [syn: spoilt]
- (of foodstuffs) not in an edible or usable condition; "bad meat"; "a refrigerator full of spoilt food" [syn: bad, spoilt]
- Spoil \Spoil\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Spoiledor Spoilt; p. pr.
& vb. n. Spoiling.] [F. spolier, OF. espoilelier, fr. L.
spoliare, fr. spolium spoil. Cf. Despoil, Spoliation.]
- To plunder; to strip by violence; to pillage; to rob; -- with of before the name of the thing taken; as, to spoil one of his goods or possession. ``Ye shall spoil the Egyptians.'' --Ex. iii. 22. My sons their old, unhappy sire despise, Spoiled of his kingdom, and deprived of eues. --Pope.
- To seize by violence;; to take by force; to plunder. No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man. --Mark iii. 27.
- To cause to decay and perish; to corrput; to vitiate; to mar. Spiritual pride spoils many graces. --Jer. Taylor.
- To render useless by injury; to injure fatally; to ruin; to destroy; as, to spoil paper; to have the crops spoiled by insects; to spoil the eyes by reading.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Spoiled'
A spoiled child (also called a spoiled brat, spoilt child or spoilt brat) is a child that exhibits behavioral problems from overindulgence by his or her parents. Spoiled children may be described as "overindulged", "grandiose", "narcissistic" or "egocentric-regressed". There is no accepted scientific definition of what "spoiled" means, and professionals are often unwilling to use the label because it is considered vague and derogatory. Being spoiled is not recognized as a mental disorder in any of the medical manuals, such as the ICD-10
In 1989, Bruce McIntosh coined the term the "spoiled child syndrome".
It is important to note that the temper tantrums are recurrent. McIntosh observes that "many of the problem behaviors that cause parental concern are unrelated to spoiling as properly understood". Children may have occasional temper tantrums without them falling under the umbrella of "spoiled". Extreme cases of spoiled child syndrome, in contrast, will involve frequent temper tantrums, physical aggression, defiance, destructive behaviour, and refusal to comply with even the simple demands of daily living.[See more about Spoiled at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Spoiled'
'Spoiled' in famous quotation sentence
* A happy childhood has spoiled many a promising life. - Robertson Davies
* It is not the young people that degenerate they are not spoiled till those of mature age are already sunk into corruption. - Baron de la Brede et de Montesquieu
Click here for more related quotations on 'Spoiled'
Spoiled Sample Sentences in News
- Spoiled for investment choices? Less is much more
The financial services industry, not necessarily helping investors paralyzed with indecision by devising more portfolio choices, should limit options. Read more on this news related to 'Spoiled'
- BLISSFUL MOM | Blog Love: Grace Barbers-Baja of The Spoiled Mummy
This mom of three finds the balance between home life and "spoiling" herself with things that also matter, like time, devotion, friendship, and love. Read more on this news related to 'Spoiled'
- Teen suing parents rages at ‘spoiled’ baby boomers
The New Jersey parents being sued for tuition by their entitled teenager were excoriated in a Friday rant on her new Facebook page as “spoiled” baby boomers who would rather... Read more on this news related to 'Spoiled'