Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Spice'
- aromatic substances of vegetable origin used as a preservative
- any of a variety of pungent aromatic vegetable substances used for flavoring food
- the property of being seasoned with spice and so highly flavored [syn: spiciness, spicery] v
- make more interesting or flavorful; "Spice up the evening by inviting a belly dancer" [syn: spice up]
- add herbs or spices to [syn: zest, spice up]
- Spice \Spice\, n. [OE. spice, spece, spice, species, OF. espice,
espece, F. ['e]pice spice, esp[`e]ce species, fr. L. species
particular sort or kind, a species, a sight, appearance,
show, LL., spices, drugs, etc., of the same sort, fr. L.
specere to look. See Spy, and cf. Species.]
- Species; kind. [Obs.] The spices of penance ben three. --Chaucer. Abstain you from all evil spice. --Wyclif (1. Thess,v. 22). Justice, although it be but one entire virtue, yet is described in two kinds of spices. The one is named justice distributive, the other is called commutative. --Sir T. Elyot.
- A vegetable production of many kinds, fragrant or aromatic and pungent to the taste, as pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, allspice, ginger, cloves, etc., which are used in cookery and to flavor sauces, pickles, etc. Hast thou aught in thy purse [bag] any hot spices? --Piers Plowman.
- Figuratively, that which enriches or alters the quality of a thing in a small degree, as spice alters the taste of food; that which gives zest or pungency; a slight flavoring; a relish; hence, a small quantity or admixture; a sprinkling; as, a spice of mischief. So much of the will, with a spice of the willful. --Coleridge.
- Spice \Spice\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Spiced; p. p. & vb. n.
- To season with spice, or as with spice; to mix aromatic or pungent substances with; to flavor; to season; as, to spice wine; to spice one's words with wit. She 'll receive thee, but will spice thy bread With flowery poisons. --Chapman.
- To fill or impregnate with the odor of spices. In the spiced Indian air, by night. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Spice'
A spice is a dried seed, fruit, root, bark, or vegetative substance used in nutritionally insignificant quantities as a food additive for flavor, color, or as a preservative that kills harmful bacteria or prevents their growth. In the kitchen, spices are distinguished from herbs, which are leafy, green plant parts used for flavoring.
Many spices are also used for other purposes, such as medicine, religious rituals, cosmetics, perfumery, or eating as vegetables. For example, turmeric is also used as a preservative; liquorice as a medicine; garlic as a vegetable. In some cases they are referred to by different terms.
Spices can be grouped as:
The earliest evidence of the use of spice by humans was around 50,000 B.C. The spice trade developed throughout the Middle East in around 2000 BC with cinnamon and pepper, and in East Asia (Korea,China) with herbs and pepper. The Egyptians used herbs for embalming and their need for exotic herbs helped stimulate world trade. In fact, the word spice comes from the same root as species, meaning kinds of goods. By 1000 BC China, Korea and India had a medical system based upon herbs. Early uses were connected with magic, medicine, religion, tradition, and preservation.[See more about Spice at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Spice'
'Spice' in famous quotation sentence
* Oregano is the spice of life. - Henry J. Tillman
Click here for more related quotations on 'Spice'
Spice Sample Sentences in News
- The Traditional Gentleman is Alive and Well in the UK
Old Spice Research reveals what it means to be a real man: British men insist on paying on a first date, shun fad fashion trends and are expected to know how to change a tyre For the launch of its Gentleman Hunt campaign, the renowned manly deodorant, antiperspirant and fragrance brand Old Spice has enlisted the help of Isaiah Mustafa, the brand ambassador, in a b Read more on this news related to 'Spice'
- Rapturous music
Syan, Spice, Slim and Nowsa G, the modern age Tamil rappers talk about their vision and means to popularise the art form in the city. Read more on this news related to 'Spice'
- Healthy Solutions Spice Blends™ Now Ready for Distributors, Brokers and Retailers
Healthy Solutions Spice Blends is a maker of 16 distinct all natural spice blends that create healthy gourmet meals in minutes. (PRWeb December 05, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/12/prweb11394069.htm Read more on this news related to 'Spice'