Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Speed'
- distance travelled per unit time [syn: velocity]
- a rate (usually rapid) at which something happens; "the project advanced with gratifying speed" [syn: swiftness, fastness]
- changing location rapidly [syn: speeding, hurrying]
- the ratio of the focal length to the diameter of a (camera) lens system [syn: focal ratio, f number, stop number]
- a central nervous system stimulant that increases energy and decreases appetite; used to treat narcolepsy and some forms of depression [syn: amphetamine, pep pill, upper] v
- step on it; "He rushed down the hall to receive his guests"; "The cars raced down the street" [syn: rush, hotfoot, hasten, hie, race, pelt along, rush along, cannonball along, bucket along, belt along] [ant: linger]
- move faster; "The car accelerated" [syn: accelerate, speed up, quicken] [ant: decelerate]
- travel at an excessive or illegal velocity; "I got a ticket for speeding"
- move very fast; "The runner zipped past us at breakneck speed" [syn: travel rapidly, hurry, zip]
- cause to move faster; "He accelerated the car" [syn: accelerate, speed up] [ant: decelerate] [also: sped]
- Speed \Speed\, n. [AS. sp?d success, swiftness, from sp?wan to
succeed; akin to D. spoedd, OHG. spuot success, spuot to
succees, Skr. sph[=a] to increase, grow fat. [root]170b.]
- Prosperity in an undertaking; favorable issue; success. ``For common speed.'' --Chaucer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Speed'
In kinematics, the speed of an object is the magnitude of its velocity (the rate of change of its position); it is thus a scalar quantity. The average speed of an object in an interval of time is the distance traveled by the object divided by the duration of the interval; the instantaneous speed is the limit of the average speed as the duration of the time interval approaches zero .
Like velocity, speed has the dimensions of a length divided by a time; the SI unit of speed is the meter per second, but the most usual unit of speed in everyday usage is the kilometer per hour or, in the USA and the UK, miles per hour. For air and marine travel the knot is commonly used.
The fastest possible speed at which energy or information can travel, according to special relativity, is the speed of light in vacuum c = 299,792,458 meters per second, approximately 1079 million kilometers per hour (671,000,000 mph). Matter cannot quite reach the speed of light, as this would require an infinite amount of energy.[See more about Speed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Speed'
Meaning of the Name 'Speed'
- Meaning: Success
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
'Speed' in famous quotation sentence
* Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. - Douglas Adams
* I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia. - Woody Allen
Click here for more related quotations on 'Speed'
Speed Sample Sentences in News
- Speed Dating? Watch Your Mouth
Do you know how long it takes for a guy and a gal to 'click' in the first stage of building a bond that may lead to a lasting relationship? Seconds, according to numerous studies. Read more on this news related to 'Speed'
- City studying speed humps in Converse Heights neighborhood
Six new speed humps could soon be installed in Converse Heights following requests from Read more on this news related to 'Speed'
- Speed limit increase 'possible' in NSW
The NSW government is prepared to consider increasing speed limits on freeways if it's deemed safe. Read more on this news related to 'Speed'