Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Speed'
- distance travelled per unit time [syn: velocity]
- a rate (usually rapid) at which something happens; "the project advanced with gratifying speed" [syn: swiftness, fastness]
- changing location rapidly [syn: speeding, hurrying]
- the ratio of the focal length to the diameter of a (camera) lens system [syn: focal ratio, f number, stop number]
- a central nervous system stimulant that increases energy and decreases appetite; used to treat narcolepsy and some forms of depression [syn: amphetamine, pep pill, upper] v
- step on it; "He rushed down the hall to receive his guests"; "The cars raced down the street" [syn: rush, hotfoot, hasten, hie, race, pelt along, rush along, cannonball along, bucket along, belt along] [ant: linger]
- move faster; "The car accelerated" [syn: accelerate, speed up, quicken] [ant: decelerate]
- travel at an excessive or illegal velocity; "I got a ticket for speeding"
- move very fast; "The runner zipped past us at breakneck speed" [syn: travel rapidly, hurry, zip]
- cause to move faster; "He accelerated the car" [syn: accelerate, speed up] [ant: decelerate] [also: sped]
- Speed \Speed\, n. [AS. sp?d success, swiftness, from sp?wan to
succeed; akin to D. spoedd, OHG. spuot success, spuot to
succees, Skr. sph[=a] to increase, grow fat. [root]170b.]
- Prosperity in an undertaking; favorable issue; success. ``For common speed.'' --Chaucer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Speed'
In kinematics, the speed of an object is the magnitude of its velocity (the rate of change of its position); it is thus a scalar quantity. The average speed of an object in an interval of time is the distance traveled by the object divided by the duration of the interval; the instantaneous speed is the limit of the average speed as the duration of the time interval approaches zero .
Like velocity, speed has the dimensions of a length divided by a time; the SI unit of speed is the meter per second, but the most usual unit of speed in everyday usage is the kilometer per hour or, in the USA and the UK, miles per hour. For air and marine travel the knot is commonly used.
The fastest possible speed at which energy or information can travel, according to special relativity, is the speed of light in vacuum c = 299,792,458 meters per second, approximately 1079 million kilometers per hour (671,000,000 mph). Matter cannot quite reach the speed of light, as this would require an infinite amount of energy.[See more about Speed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Speed'
Meaning of the Name 'Speed'
- Meaning: Success
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
'Speed' in famous quotation sentence
* Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. - Douglas Adams
* I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia. - Woody Allen
Click here for more related quotations on 'Speed'
Speed Sample Sentences in News
- Speed trap city accused of corruption, threatened with extinction
How off-the-charts corrupt do you have to be to capture somebody's attention in the Sunshine State? Read more on this news related to 'Speed'
- Speed Reading App Claims You Can Read a Novel in 90 Minutes
A new speed reading program promises to help you read a novel in less than 90 minutes without having to move your eyes. Read more on this news related to 'Speed'
- Exclusive: High-speed trader Infinium Capital winds down -president
High-speed trader Infinium Capital Management, which has struggled financially, has stopped trading and is working to wind down the company, President Mark Palchak told Reuters on Thursday. Currency broker FXCM Inc and a subsidiary have acquired five trading desks, physical assets and 48 employees from Infinium to start a new joint venture, V3 Markets, Palchak and Read more on this news related to 'Speed'