Sovereignty Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- government free from external control
- royal authority; the dominion of a monarch
Definitions from Wiktionary
- government free from external control ,
- royal authority; the dominion of a monarch ,
- the authority of a state to govern another state
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Sovereignty'?
Sovereignty Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Sovereignty is the right of a government to have complete control over its area. The idea that this right comes from doing good things for the people under control of the government is as old as Ancient Greece if not older.
The exact meaning of Sovereignty has changed some in the past. The present meaning of Sovereignty is said to come from the Peace of Westphalia, an agreement between the rulers of Europe in 1648 which said:
Words and phrases related to 'Sovereignty'
'Sovereignty' example sentence in quotations
* It was no Insurrection or Rebellion, or even Civil War in any proper sense of these terms... The war... was a war between States regularly organized into two separate Federal Republics... In the beginning, and throughout the contest, the object of the 'Confederates' was to maintain the separate Sovereignty of each State, and the right of self-government, which that necessarily carries with it. The object of the 'Federals,' on the contrary, was to maintain a Centralized Sovereignty over all the States on both sides. This was the fundamental principle involved in the Conflict, which must be kept continually in mind. - Alexander Hamilton Stephens
* Just what is it that America stands for If she stands for one thing more than another it is for the sovereignty of self-governing people. - Woodrow Wilson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Sovereignty'
Sovereignty Sample Sentences in News
- PQ members want another referendum soon, internal document reveals
If the PartiQuébécois is voted into power again, party members would like it to hold a sovereignty referendum shortly after the election. Party officials consulted about 2,500 members to decide rules for the leadership race. The document states that many are “exasperated” with the debate on sovereignty. “The members of the Parti Québécois want, first an Read more on this news related to 'Sovereignty'
- Native Hawaiians Debate Best Path to Sovereignty
Native Hawaiians debate best path to sovereignty _ tribal status or outright independence Read more on this news related to 'Sovereignty'
- Putin Says Russia Should Boost Economic Sovereignty
Russia should increase its economic sovereignty while remaining an integral, natural and organic part of the global economy. Read more on this news related to 'Sovereignty'