Sovereignty Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- government free from external control
- royal authority; the dominion of a monarch
Definitions from Wiktionary
- government free from external control ,
- royal authority; the dominion of a monarch ,
- the authority of a state to govern another state
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Sovereignty'?
Sovereignty Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Sovereignty is the right of a government to have complete control over its area. The idea that this right comes from doing good things for the people under control of the government is as old as Ancient Greece if not older.
The exact meaning of Sovereignty has changed some in the past. The present meaning of Sovereignty is said to come from the Peace of Westphalia, an agreement between the rulers of Europe in 1648 which said:
Words and phrases related to 'Sovereignty'
'Sovereignty' example sentence in quotations
* It was no Insurrection or Rebellion, or even Civil War in any proper sense of these terms... The war... was a war between States regularly organized into two separate Federal Republics... In the beginning, and throughout the contest, the object of the 'Confederates' was to maintain the separate Sovereignty of each State, and the right of self-government, which that necessarily carries with it. The object of the 'Federals,' on the contrary, was to maintain a Centralized Sovereignty over all the States on both sides. This was the fundamental principle involved in the Conflict, which must be kept continually in mind. - Alexander Hamilton Stephens
* Just what is it that America stands for If she stands for one thing more than another it is for the sovereignty of self-governing people. - Woodrow Wilson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Sovereignty'
Sovereignty Sample Sentences in News
- Selangor's sovereignty, people's interest to be prioritised in water deal - S'gor MB
SHAH ALAM, March 30 (Bernama) -- The sovereignty of the Selangor state and interests of the people will be prioritised and guaranteed in the state's water restructuring agreement, said Selangor Menteri Besar Mohamed Azmin Ali. Read more on this news related to 'Sovereignty'
- United Sovereignty Alliance Issues Call for Citizen’s Constitutional Referendum Vote in Response to Recent Discussion ...
Burton F. Hill, founder of United Sovereignty Alliance , a South Dakota registered nonprofit, is calling on citizen voters in the United States, not only to support an Article V Convention of the States, but to use their constitutional rights through the Tenth Amendment to force government reforms. (PRWeb March 17, 2015) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com Read more on this news related to 'Sovereignty'
- Volokh Conspiracy: Federalist Society Treaties and National Sovereignty Conference
Promising conference in Washington, D.C., March 27-28. Read more on this news related to 'Sovereignty'