Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sonorous'
adj : full and loud and deep; "heavy sounds"; "a herald chosen for
his sonorous voice" [syn: heavy]
- Sonorous \So*no"rous\, a. [L. sonorus, fr. sonor, -oris, a
sound, akin to sonus a sound. See Sound.]
- Giving sound when struck; resonant; as, sonorous metals.
- Loud-sounding; giving a clear or loud sound; as, a sonorous voice.
- Yielding sound; characterized by sound; vocal; sonant; as, the vowels are sonorous.
- Impressive in sound; high-sounding. The Italian opera, amidst all the meanness and familiarty of the thoughts, has something beautiful and sonorous in the expression. --Addison. There is nothing of the artificial Johnsonian balance in his style. It is as often marked by a pregnant brevity as by a sonorous amplitude. --E. Everett.
- (Med.) Sonant; vibrant; hence, of sounds produced in a cavity, deep-toned; as, sonorous rhonchi. Sonorous figures (Physics), figures formed by the vibrations of a substance capable of emitting a musical tone, as when the bow of a violin is drawn along the edge of a piece of glass or metal on which sand is strewed, and the sand arranges itself in figures according to the musical tone. Called also acoustic figures. Sonorous tumor (Med.), a tumor which emits a clear, resonant sound on percussion. -- So*no"rous*ly, adv. -- So*no"rous*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sonorous'
A sonority hierarchy or sonority scale is a ranking of speech sounds (or phones) by amplitude. For example, if you say the vowel . Sonority hierarchies are especially important when analyzing syllable structure; rules about what segments may appear in onsets or codas together, such as SSP, are formulated in terms of the difference of their sonority values. Some languages also have assimilation rules based on sonority hierarchy, for example, the Finnish potential mood (e.g. -tne- → -nne-).
Sonority hierarchies vary somewhat in which sounds are grouped together. The one below is fairly typical:
In English, the sonority scale, from lowest to highest, is the following:
([See more about Sonorous at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Sonorous'
Sonorous Sample Sentences in News
- Music Teacher Loves Ethnic Instruments in Shen Yun Orchestra
Music teacher Norman Stull heard the sonorous tone of the erhu at the Merriam Theater during Shen Yun Performing Arts on Friday night. Read more on this news related to 'Sonorous'
- Why ESPN's Chris Broussard Came Out As A Bigot
Outside the Lines is supposed to be the safe haven from all the bullshit. Bob Ley likes to call the show the Switzerland of ESPN. It's the thinking man's sports program—Bristol's answer to NewsHour . Sonorous reporters intoning Serious News. An air of calm, cool reflection about the issues of the day. Even on Monday, as SportsCenter kept fucking Tim Read more on this news related to 'Sonorous'