Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Solvent'
adj : capable of meeting financial obligations [ant: insolvent]
- a liquid substance capable of dissolving other substances; "the solvent does not change its state in forming a solution" [syn: dissolvent, dissolver, dissolving agent, resolvent]
- a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem; "they were trying to find a peaceful solution"; "the answers were in the back of the book"; "he computed the result to four decimal places" [syn: solution, answer, result, resolution]
- Solvent \Sol"vent\, n. (Chem.)
A substance (usually liquid) suitable for, or employed in,
solution, or in dissolving something; as, water is the
appropriate solvent of most salts, alcohol of resins, ether
of fats, and mercury or acids of metals, etc.
- That which resolves; as, a solvent of mystery.
- Solvent \Sol"vent\ (s[o^]l"vent), a. [L. solvens, p. pr. of
solvere. See Solvable.]
- Having the power of dissolving; dissolving; as, a solvent fluid. ``the solvent body.'' --Boyle.
- Able or sufficient to pay all just debts; as, a solvent merchant; the estate is solvent.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Solvent'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Solvent'
A solvent is a liquid that becomes a solution by dissolving a solid, liquid, or gaseous solute. The most common solvent in everyday life is water.
Most other commonly-used solvents are organic (carbon-containing) chemicals. These are called organic solvents. Solvents usually have a low boiling point and evaporate easily or can be removed by distillation, thereby leaving the dissolved substance behind. Solvents should therefore not react chemically with the dissolved compounds — they have to be inert. Solvents can also be used to extract soluble compounds from a mixture, the most common example is the brewing of coffee or tea with hot water. Solvents are usually clear and colorless liquids and many have a characteristic smell. The concentration of a solution is the amount of compound that is dissolved in a certain volume of solvent. The solubility is the maximal amount of compound that is soluble in a certain volume of solvent at a specified temperature.[See more about Solvent at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Solvent'