Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Solvent'
adj : capable of meeting financial obligations [ant: insolvent]
- a liquid substance capable of dissolving other substances; "the solvent does not change its state in forming a solution" [syn: dissolvent, dissolver, dissolving agent, resolvent]
- a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem; "they were trying to find a peaceful solution"; "the answers were in the back of the book"; "he computed the result to four decimal places" [syn: solution, answer, result, resolution]
- Solvent \Sol"vent\, n. (Chem.)
A substance (usually liquid) suitable for, or employed in,
solution, or in dissolving something; as, water is the
appropriate solvent of most salts, alcohol of resins, ether
of fats, and mercury or acids of metals, etc.
- That which resolves; as, a solvent of mystery.
- Solvent \Sol"vent\ (s[o^]l"vent), a. [L. solvens, p. pr. of
solvere. See Solvable.]
- Having the power of dissolving; dissolving; as, a solvent fluid. ``the solvent body.'' --Boyle.
- Able or sufficient to pay all just debts; as, a solvent merchant; the estate is solvent.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Solvent'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Solvent'
A solvent is a liquid that becomes a solution by dissolving a solid, liquid, or gaseous solute. The most common solvent in everyday life is water.
Most other commonly-used solvents are organic (carbon-containing) chemicals. These are called organic solvents. Solvents usually have a low boiling point and evaporate easily or can be removed by distillation, thereby leaving the dissolved substance behind. Solvents should therefore not react chemically with the dissolved compounds — they have to be inert. Solvents can also be used to extract soluble compounds from a mixture, the most common example is the brewing of coffee or tea with hot water. Solvents are usually clear and colorless liquids and many have a characteristic smell. The concentration of a solution is the amount of compound that is dissolved in a certain volume of solvent. The solubility is the maximal amount of compound that is soluble in a certain volume of solvent at a specified temperature.[See more about Solvent at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Solvent'
Solvent Sample Sentences in News
- Higher taxes needed to keep fund solvent, report says
To bail out the beleaguered Social Security system and keep it solvent for the next 75 years, payroll taxes would have to be raised on all working Americans who pay Social Security taxes, a new bipartisan report says. Read more on this news related to 'Solvent'
- Haz-mat team resolves scare
Residents of a three-storey Whalley apartment complex were evacuated Monday morning around 8 a.m. after solvent was found to be leaking in the building. A haz-mat team was called in, and a transit bus arrived to house the residents while the scene was assessed. One man was taken to hospital for shortness of breath but is expected to be fine. Surrey deputy fire chi Read more on this news related to 'Solvent'
- Global Protective Coatings Market To See 9.75% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch ...
RnRMarketResearch.com adds "Protective coatings market by resin type (alkyd, acrylic, epoxy, polyurethane, polyester & others), by technology (solvent borne, water borne, powder & others) & by application (construction, oil & gas, automotive, aerospace, product finishes & others) - global trends & forecast to 2019" global research report to its store. (P Read more on this news related to 'Solvent'