Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Soliciting'
- Solicit \So*lic"it\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Solicited; p. pr. &
vb. n. Soliciting.] [F. sollicier, L. sollicitare,
solicitare, -atum, fr. sollicitus wholly (i. e., violently)
moved; sollus whole + citus, p. p. of ciere to move, excite.
See Solemn, Cite.]
- To ask from with earnestness; to make petition to; to apply to for obtaining something; as, to solicit person for alms. Did I solicit thee From darkness to promote me? --Milton.
- To endeavor to obtain; to seek; to plead for; as, to solicit an office; to solicit a favor. I view my crime, but kindle at the view, Repent old pleasures, and solicit new. --Pope.
- To awake or excite to action; to rouse desire in; to summon; to appeal to; to invite. That fruit . . . solicited her longing eye. --Milton. Sounds and some tangible qualities solicit their proper senses, and force an entrance to the mind. --Locke.
- To urge the claims of; to plead; to act as solicitor for or with reference to. [Obs.] Should My brother henceforth study to forget The vow that he hath made thee, I would ever Solicit thy deserts. --Ford.
- To disturb; to disquiet; -- a Latinism rarely used. Hath any ill solicited thine ears? --Chapman. But anxious fears solicit my weak breast. --Dryden. Syn: Syn. To beseech; ask; request; crave; supplicate; entreat; beg; implore; importune. See Beseech.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Soliciting'
Literally, solicitation means: 'urgently asking'. It is the action or instance of soliciting; petition; proposal. In criminal law, it most commonly refers to either the act of offering goods or services, or the act of attempting to purchase goods or services, that are prohibited by law. The illegality of the solicited goods or services may be general, or it may be specific to the time and place where solicitation occurs.
In England and Wales, the term soliciting refers to: "for a common prostitute to loiter or solicit in a street or public place for the purpose of prostitution", under the Street Offences Act 1959. The crime of soliciting should not be confused with the profession of a solicitor, which under UK law is typically that of a lawyer, who may also function as a legal agent to obtain the services of a barrister on behalf of a client.[See more about Soliciting at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Soliciting'
Soliciting Sample Sentences in News
- Ex-councillor for trial over soliciting to murder
Gary O’Flynn is charged with soliciting someone to murder a revenue official, an accountant and a garda Read more on this news related to 'Soliciting'
- Choir Director Indicted For Soliciting Sex, Pictures From Students
A former choir director at St. Francis DeSales has been indicted for soliciting sex and nude pictures from students. Read more on this news related to 'Soliciting'
- Former DeSales Teacher Accused Of Soliciting Students For Nude Photos Indicted
A former music teacher at St. Francis DeSales High School was indicted Thursday on charges that he solicited a sex act and nude photos from students. Read more on this news related to 'Soliciting'