Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Soil'
- the state of being covered with unclean things [syn: dirt, filth, grime, stain, grease, grunge]
- the part of the earth's surface consisting of humus and disintegrated rock [syn: dirt]
- material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use); "the land had never been plowed"; "good agricultural soil" [syn: land, ground]
- the geographical area under the jurisdiction of a sovereign state; "American troops were stationed on Japanese soil" [syn: territory] v : make soiled, filthy, or dirty; "don't soil your clothes when you play outside!" [syn: dirty, begrime, grime, colly, bemire] [ant: clean]
- Soil \Soil\, v. i.
To become soiled; as, light colors soil sooner than dark
- Soil \Soil\, n. [See Soil to make dirty, Soil a miry place.]
That which soils or pollutes; a soiled place; spot; stain.
A lady's honor . . . will not bear a soil. --Dryden.
- Soil \Soil\, v. t.
To enrich with soil or muck; to manure.
Men . . . soil their ground, not that they love the
dirt, but that they expect a crop. --South.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Soil'
Soil is a natural body consisting of layers (soil horizons) of mineral constituents of variable thicknesses, which differ from the parent materials in their morphological, physical, chemical, and mineralogical characteristics.
Soil particles pack loosely, forming a soil structure filled with pore spaces. These pores contain soil solution (liquid) and air (gas). In engineering, soil is referred to as regolith, or loose rock material.
Soil formation, or pedogenesis, is the combined effect of physical, chemical, biological, and anthropogenic processes on soil parent material. Soil genesis involves processes that develop layers or horizons in the soil profile. These processes involve additions, losses, transformations and translocations of material that compose the soil. Minerals derived from weathered rocks undergo changes that cause the formation of secondary minerals and other compounds that are variably soluble in water, these constituents are moved (translocated) from one area of the soil to other areas by water and animal activity. The alteration and movement of materials within soil causes the formation of distinctive soil horizons.[See more about Soil at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Soil'
'Soil' in famous quotation sentence
* A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often - just to save it from drying out completely. - Pam Brown
* Isn't it the moment of most profound doubt that gives birth to new certainties Perhaps hopelessness is the very soil that nourishes human hope perhaps one could never find sense in life without first experiencing its absurdity... - Vaclav Havel
Click here for more related quotations on 'Soil'
Soil Sample Sentences in News
- GelTech Solutions Announces Addition to Soil2O Dust Control Product Line
GelTech Solutions, Inc. announces the launch of Soil2O Soil Cap, the newest addition to the Soil2O product line. Soil Cap, a cutting-edge dust suppressant technology, is designed to stabilize stockpile ... Read more on this news related to 'Soil'
- Soil water the key to profitable crops
THE efficient capture of rainfall and management of stored soil moisture are core competencies when it comes to profitability in dryland farming operations. Read more on this news related to 'Soil'
- Crews to begin excavation of hazardous soil in Sept.
Cleanup of soil contaminated with mercury, lead, arsenic and dioxin to last till Nov. Read more on this news related to 'Soil'