Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Society'
- an extended social group having a distinctive cultural and economic organization
- a formal association of people with similar interests; "he joined a golf club"; "they formed a small lunch society"; "men from the fraternal order will staff the soup kitchen today" [syn: club, guild, gild, lodge, order]
- the state of being with someone; "he missed their company"; "he enjoyed the society of his friends" [syn: company, companionship, fellowship]
- the fashionable elite [syn: high society, beau monde, smart set, bon ton]
- Society \So*ci"e*ty\, n.; pl. Societies. [L. societas, fr.
socius a companion: cf. F. soci['e]t['e]. See Social.]
- The relationship of men to one another when associated in any way; companionship; fellowship; company. ``Her loved society.'' --Milton. There is society where none intrudes By the deep sea, and music in its roar. --Byron.
- Connection; participation; partnership. [R.] The meanest of the people and such as have the least society with the acts and crimes of kings. --Jer. Taylor.
- A number of persons associated for any temporary or permanent object; an association for mutual or joint usefulness, pleasure, or profit; a social union; a partnership; as, a missionary society.
- The persons, collectively considered, who live in any region or at any period; any community of individuals who are united together by a common bond of nearness or intercourse; those who recognize each other as associates, friends, and acquaintances.
- Specifically, the more cultivated portion of any community in its social relations and influences; those who mutually give receive formal entertainments. Society of Jesus. See Jesuit. Society verses [a translation of F. vers de soci['e]t['e]], the lightest kind of lyrical poetry; verses for the amusement of polite society.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Society'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Society'
Society is the term to describe human beings together (collective, the sum of their social networks and power networks). It does not refer to everything everybody thinks or does, but only to those things that everybody acts upon - or refuses to do - quite reliably.
Because it must keep even the poorest and weakest members of a society willing to help even the richest and strongest, a society is very concerned with its citizenship, rights, ethics and time limits. These are basic ways to achieve fairness. If they break down badly, people will think the society is unfair and start taking things from each other, refusing to help each other, or seeing those who have more as cheats.
While every society is different, the way it breaks down and fails is very often the same: fraud, theft, violence, war and sometimes even genocide if people stop identifying with the society and thus identify with what they think of as a "race" of people. A new society may be formed out of only those who still agree, or who just survive the collapse of an old failed one.[See more about Society at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Society'
'Society' in famous quotation sentence
* I knew from the start if I left a woman I really loved -- the Great Society -- in order to fight that bitch of a war in Vietnam then I would lose everything at home. My hopes my dreams. - Lyndon B. Johnson
* To conclude that women are unfitted to the task of our historic society seems to me the equivalent of closing male eyes to female facts. - Lyndon B. Johnson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Society'
Society Sample Sentences in News
- Alzheimer Society of Canada says Council of Federation on the right track but more action needed for dementia
TORONTO, Aug. 29, 2014 /CNW/ - The Alzheimer Society of Canada is pleased that the Council of Federation continues to make early diagnosis and treatment of dementia a priority. "Sharing and building on best practices that are already working well across the country means we can make a huge difference in the lives of Canadians affected by Alzheimer's disea Read more on this news related to 'Society'
- #ICEBUCKETCHALLENGE: ALS Society of Quebec surpasses $1,000,000
MONTREAL, Aug. 28, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - The Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Society of Quebec is pleased to announce that donations received thanks to the Ice Bucket Challenge have reached $1,100,000. This chilly, yet fun-filled initiative was launched by Peter Frates, a young 29-year old American baseball player who is presently living with this fatal neurolo Read more on this news related to 'Society'
- Society Insurance Deploys Cover-All Policy for Workers Compensation
Society Insurance , a multi-line commercial property and casualty insurance company specializing in niche business, and Cover-All Technologies , a Read more on this news related to 'Society'