Society Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- an extended social group having a distinctive cultural and economic organization
- a formal association of people with similar interests; "he joined a golf club"; "they formed a small lunch society"; "men from the fraternal order will staff the soup kitchen today"
- the fashionable elite
- the state of being with someone; "he missed their company"; "he enjoyed the society of his friends"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- an extended social group having a distinctive cultural and economic organization ,
- a formal association of people with similar interests; "he joined a golf club"; "they formed a small lunch society"; "men from the fraternal order will staff the soup kitchen today" ,
- the state of being with someone; "he missed their company"; "he enjoyed the society of his friends" ,
- the fashionable elite
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Society'?
Society Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Society is the term to describe human beings together (collective, the sum of their social networks and power networks). It does not refer to everything everybody thinks or does, but only to those things that everybody acts upon - or refuses to do - quite reliably.
Because it must keep even the poorest and weakest members of a society willing to help even the richest and strongest, a society is very concerned with its citizenship, rights, ethics and time limits. These are basic ways to achieve fairness. If they break down badly, people will think the society is unfair and start taking things from each other, refusing to help each other, or seeing those who have more as cheats.
While every society is different, the way it breaks down and fails is very often the same: fraud, theft, violence, war and sometimes even genocide if people stop identifying with the society and thus identify with what they think of as a "race" of people. A new society may be formed out of only those who still agree, or who just survive the collapse of an old failed one.
Words and phrases related to 'Society'
'Society' example sentence in quotations
* I knew from the start if I left a woman I really loved -- the Great Society -- in order to fight that bitch of a war in Vietnam then I would lose everything at home. My hopes my dreams. - Lyndon B. Johnson
* To conclude that women are unfitted to the task of our historic society seems to me the equivalent of closing male eyes to female facts. - Lyndon B. Johnson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Society'
Society Sample Sentences in News
- CFA Society Toronto Announces the Finalists of the Second Annual Financial Journalism Awards
CFA Society Toronto Announces the Finalists of the Second Annual Financial Journalism Awards Read more on this news related to 'Society'
- Coles Genealogical Society hopes to draw new members
CHARLESTON -- The future of the Coles County Genealogical Society could depend on whether new people are willing to be part of the organization, according to the group's president. Read more on this news related to 'Society'
- Charleston Animal Society Reveals 2015 Firefighter Calendar
CHARLESTON, S.C., Nov. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Charleston Animal Society (CAS) – the Lowcountry's oldest and largest animal rescue organization – is taking orders for their 2015 Firefighter Calendar. All net calendar sales benefit Toby's Fund, providing medical care to treat thousands of injured, abused and abandoned animals. In 2013, CAS launched the Read more on this news related to 'Society'