Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sleeping'
adj : lying with head on paws as if sleeping [syn: dormant(ip)]
- the state of being asleep [ant: waking]
- quiet and inactive restfulness [syn: quiescence, quiescency, dormancy]
- the suspension of consciousness and decrease in metabolic rate
- Sleep \Sleep\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Slept; p. pr. & vb. n.
Sleeping.] [OE. slepen, AS. sl?pan; akin to OFries. sl?pa,
OS. sl[=a]pan, D. slapen, OHG. sl[=a]fan, G. schlafen, Goth.
sl?pan, and G. schlaff slack, loose, and L. labi to glide,
slide, labare to totter. Cf. Lapse.]
- To take rest by a suspension of the voluntary exercise of the powers of the body and mind, and an apathy of the organs of sense; to slumber. --Chaucer. Watching at the head of these that sleep. --Milton.
- Figuratively: (a) To be careless, inattentive, or uncouncerned; not to be vigilant; to live thoughtlessly. We sleep over our happiness. --Atterbury. (b) To be dead; to lie in the grave. Them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. --1 Thess. iv. 14. (c) To be, or appear to be, in repose; to be quiet; to be unemployed, unused, or unagitated; to rest; to lie dormant; as, a question sleeps for the present; the law sleeps. How sweet the moonlight sleep upon this bank! --Shak.
- Sleeping \Sleep"ing\,
a. & n. from Sleep.
Sleeping car, a railway car or carrriage, arranged with
apartments and berths for sleeping.
Sleeping partner (Com.), a dormant partner. See under
Sleeping table (Mining), a stationary inclined platform on
which pulverized ore is washed; a kind of buddle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sleeping'
Sleep is a naturally recurring state characterized by reduced or lacking consciousness, relatively suspended sensory activity, and inactivity of nearly all voluntary muscles. It is distinguished from quiet wakefulness by a decreased ability to react to stimuli, but it is more easily reversible than hibernation or coma. Sleep is a heightened anabolic state, accentuating the growth and rejuvenation of the immune, nervous, skeletal and muscular systems. It is observed in all mammals, all birds, and many reptiles, amphibians, and fish.
The purposes and mechanisms of sleep are only partially clear and are the subject of intense research.
In mammals and birds, sleep is divided into two broad types: rapid eye movement (REM) and non-rapid eye movement (NREM or non-REM) sleep. Each type has a distinct set of associated physiological, neurological, and psychological features. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) further divides NREM into three stages: N1, N2, and N3, the last of which is also called delta sleep or slow-wave sleep (SWS).[See more about Sleeping at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Sleeping'
'Sleeping' in famous quotation sentence
* History teaches us that when a barbarian race confronts a sleeping culture, the barbarian always wins. - Arnold J. Toynbee
* If I thought there was some reason to be concerned about them, I wouldn't be sleeping in this house tonight. (When asked about continued presence of Soviet nuclear submarines along US coastlines) - Ronald Reagan
Click here for more related quotations on 'Sleeping'
Sleeping Sample Sentences in News
- Cave Sleeping A Regular Occurrence For Madagascar Lemurs: Study
April Flowers for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online A team of researchers led by the University of Colorado Boulder has discovered that some ring-tailed lemurs regularly return to the same limestone chambers to sleep. The findings, published in Madagascar Conservation and Development , are the first proof of the consistent, daily use of some caves and crevices f Read more on this news related to 'Sleeping'
- First evidence of primates regularly sleeping in caves
Scientists have discovered that some ring-tailed lemurs in Madagascar regularly retire to limestone chambers for their nightly snoozes, the first evidence of the consistent, daily use of the same caves and crevices for sleeping among the world's wild primates. Read more on this news related to 'Sleeping'
- Family collects sleeping bags for needy
A Bakersfield family has decided to collect sleeping bags for the homeless this holiday season. Read more on this news related to 'Sleeping'