Slaves Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Slaves'?
Slaves Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Slavery is an economic system. In it, some people must work for no pay. It is also a system of ownership. In many countries slaves were owned by citizens of the country. These people were slaves.
There is evidence that even before there was writing, there was slavery. There have been different types of slavery, and they have been in almost all cultures and continents.
The English word "slave" comes from the medieval word for the Slavic peoples of Central Europe and Eastern Europe, because these were the last ethnic group to be captured and enslaved in Central Europe. According to Adam Smith and Auguste Comte, a slave was mainly defined as a captive or prisoner of war. Slave-holders used to buy slaves at slave auctions.
Slaves are not allowed rights.
'Slaves' example sentence in quotations
* Americans who had traveled in Europe knew the 'free' European peasants suffered considerably greater oppression and misery than did American bondsman. Modern scholarship has shown that the exploitation rate -- the percentage of the worker's production that was taken from him by his owners -- was lower among the slaves than among European peasants, that work loads were light, and that slaves actually experienced a considerable measure of personal freedom. - Forest McDonald
* Our dependency makes slaves out of us, especially if this dependency is a dependency of our self-esteem. If you need encouragement, praise, pats on the back from everybody, then you make everybody your judge. - Fritz Perls
Click here for more related quotations on 'Slaves'
Slaves Sample Sentences in News
- Nearly 36 mln people are slaves, Qatar in focus: global index
By Katie Nguyen LONDON (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Almost 36 million people are living as slaves across the globe with an index on Monday listing Mauritania, Uzbekistan, Haiti, Qatar and India as the nations where modern-day slavery is most prevalent. The Walk Free Foundation, an Australian-based human rights group, estimated in its inaugural slavery index last Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'
- WorldViews: Map: The world’s 36 million slaves
A new report reveals how widespread modern-day slavery really is. Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'
- Nearly 36m people 'live as slaves'
Nearly 36 million people worldwide, or 0.5% of the world's population, live as slaves, a survey by anti-slavery campaign group Walk Free says. Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'