Slaves Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Slaves'?
Slaves Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Slavery (also called thralldom) is an economic system. In it, some people must work for no pay. These people are called slaves.
There is evidence that even before there was writing, there was slavery. There have been different types of slavery, and they have been in almost all cultures and continents.
The English word "slave" comes from the medieval word for the Slavic peoples of Central Europe and Eastern Europe, because these were the last ethnic group to be captured and enslaved in Central Europe. According to Adam Smith and Auguste Comte, a slave was mainly defined as a captive or prisoner of war. Slave-holders used to buy slaves at slave auctions.
Slaves are not allowed rights.
'Slaves' example sentence in quotations
* Americans who had traveled in Europe knew the 'free' European peasants suffered considerably greater oppression and misery than did American bondsman. Modern scholarship has shown that the exploitation rate -- the percentage of the worker's production that was taken from him by his owners -- was lower among the slaves than among European peasants, that work loads were light, and that slaves actually experienced a considerable measure of personal freedom. - Forest McDonald
* Our dependency makes slaves out of us, especially if this dependency is a dependency of our self-esteem. If you need encouragement, praise, pats on the back from everybody, then you make everybody your judge. - Fritz Perls
Click here for more related quotations on 'Slaves'
Slaves Sample Sentences in News
- 8 'Slaves' Rescued, 4 People Arrested, after Raid at Bedfordshire Caravan Site
Police have rescued eight male "virtual slaves" aged 17-46 from a caravan site in Bedfordshire, arresting two men and two women. 65 officers, including helicopters and a dogs unit, took part in the dawn raid at the Green Acres site near Leighton Buzzard. Four people were arrested under the Coroners and Justice Act 2009, another for breach of the peace an Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'
- Science uncovers story of slaves at Nashville Zoo
An archaeological crew excavated 19th-century graves at the Nashville Zoo earlier this year. DNA and skeletal evidence from the remains showed the graves were almost certainly part of an African-American slave cemetery at the old Grassmere farm. Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'
- Eight 'Slaves' Rescued In Caravan Site Raid
Four people have been arrested after eight "slaves" were rescued during a raid on a caravan site in Bedfordshire. Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'