Slaves Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Slaves'?
Slaves Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Slavery is an economic system. In it, some people must work for no pay. It is also a system of ownership. In many countries slaves were owned by citizens of the country. These people were slaves.
There is evidence that even before there was writing, there was slavery. There have been different types of slavery, and they have been in almost all cultures and continents.
The English word "slave" comes from the medieval word for the Slavic peoples of Central Europe and Eastern Europe, because these were the last ethnic group to be captured and enslaved in Central Europe. According to Adam Smith and Auguste Comte, a slave was mainly defined as a captive or prisoner of war. Slave-holders used to buy slaves at slave auctions.
Slaves are not allowed rights.
'Slaves' example sentence in quotations
* Americans who had traveled in Europe knew the 'free' European peasants suffered considerably greater oppression and misery than did American bondsman. Modern scholarship has shown that the exploitation rate -- the percentage of the worker's production that was taken from him by his owners -- was lower among the slaves than among European peasants, that work loads were light, and that slaves actually experienced a considerable measure of personal freedom. - Forest McDonald
* Our dependency makes slaves out of us, especially if this dependency is a dependency of our self-esteem. If you need encouragement, praise, pats on the back from everybody, then you make everybody your judge. - Fritz Perls
Click here for more related quotations on 'Slaves'
Slaves Sample Sentences in News
- ISIS Sex Slaves Being Bought, Reunited With Family by Mysterious Iraqi Man
As thousands of women and girls are being raped, abused and victimized as part of the Islamic State's sex slave operation in Iraq and Syria, one Iraqi man is buying ISIS sex slaves in order to free and reunite them with their families. Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'
- 'Gateway To Freedom': Heroes, Danger And Loss On The Underground Railroad
While writing his new book, historian Eric Foner relied on a recently discovered record of slaves' escapes. He says the documents paint a "revealing picture" of life on the Underground Railroad. Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'
- Epstein ‘sex slaves’ allegedly wore bondage, schoolgirl costumes
“He had bondage outfits. He had all different kinds of outfits, but his favorite was the school girl,” said Virginia Roberts. Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'