Slaves Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Slaves'?
Slaves Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Slavery (also called thralldom) is an economic system. In it, some people must work for no pay. These people are called slaves.
There is evidence that even before there was writing, there was slavery. There have been different types of slavery, and they have been in almost all cultures and continents.
The English word "slave" comes from the medieval word for the Slavic peoples of Central Europe and Eastern Europe, because these were the last ethnic group to be captured and enslaved in Central Europe. According to Adam Smith and Auguste Comte, a slave was mainly defined as a captive or prisoner of war. Slave-holders used to buy slaves at slave auctions.
Slaves are not allowed rights.
'Slaves' example sentence in quotations
* Americans who had traveled in Europe knew the 'free' European peasants suffered considerably greater oppression and misery than did American bondsman. Modern scholarship has shown that the exploitation rate -- the percentage of the worker's production that was taken from him by his owners -- was lower among the slaves than among European peasants, that work loads were light, and that slaves actually experienced a considerable measure of personal freedom. - Forest McDonald
* Our dependency makes slaves out of us, especially if this dependency is a dependency of our self-esteem. If you need encouragement, praise, pats on the back from everybody, then you make everybody your judge. - Fritz Perls
Click here for more related quotations on 'Slaves'
Slaves Sample Sentences in News
- Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells band Slaves appear on BBC Two's Later... With Jools Holland
Slaves stole the show on Tuesday and look set to do so again when they appear on the Maidstone-based programme this evening. Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'
- Oakdale cemetery will have Underground Railroad tour Sunday
Oakdale Memorial Gardens will sponsor a walking tour at 2 p.m. Sunday of the gravesites for 11 former slaves who were helped to freedom by the Underground Railroad. Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'
- Yazidis used as Isis sex slaves: claim
Islamic State (Isis) jihadists separated virgin women from the Yazidi minority sect in Iraq to take as sex slaves, according to a group that monitors Isis in Syria.This month, Isis' English-language online magazine Dabiq confirmed... Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'