Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Slaves'
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Slaves'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Slaves'
Slavery (also called thralldom) is an economic system. In it, some people must work for little or no pay. These people are called slaves.
There is evidence that even before there was writing, there was slavery. There have been different types of slavery, and they have been in almost all cultures and continents.
The English word "slave" comes from the medieval word for Slavic people of Central and Eastern Europe, because these were the last ethnic group to be captured and enslaved in Central Europe. According to Adam Smith and Auguste Comte, a slave was mainly defined as a captive or prisoner of war.
Slaves may not have all rights.[See more about Slaves at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Slaves'
'Slaves' in famous quotation sentence
* Americans who had traveled in Europe knew the 'free' European peasants suffered considerably greater oppression and misery than did American bondsman. Modern scholarship has shown that the exploitation rate -- the percentage of the worker's production that was taken from him by his owners -- was lower among the slaves than among European peasants, that work loads were light, and that slaves actually experienced a considerable measure of personal freedom. - Forest McDonald
* Our dependency makes slaves out of us, especially if this dependency is a dependency of our self-esteem. If you need encouragement, praise, pats on the back from everybody, then you make everybody your judge. - Fritz Perls
Click here for more related quotations on 'Slaves'
Slaves Sample Sentences in News
- Va. plantation’s holiday tour will include accounts of how slaves spent Christmas
Reenactors will present historical vignettes during Ben Lomond’s candlelight event Saturday. Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'
- Were there ever slaves in Ridgefield?
Were there ever slaves in Ridgefield? Yes, but apparently relatively few. Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'
- Chattanoogan.com - Chattanooga's source for breaking local news
A groundbreaking exhibit about the slaves and slaveholders who worked and resided at a distinctive plantation in Tennessee will open next year at the Tennessee State Museum in Nashville. Read more on this news related to 'Slaves'