Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Slavery'
- the state of being under the control of another person [syn: bondage, thrall, thralldom, thraldom]
- the practice of owning slaves [syn: slaveholding]
- work done under harsh conditions for little or no pay
- Slavery \Slav"er*y\, n.; pl. Slaveries. [See 2d Slave.]
- The condition of a slave; the state of entire subjection of one person to the will of another. Disguise thyself as thou wilt, still, slavery, said I, still thou art a bitter draught! --Sterne. I wish, from my soul, that the legislature of this state [Virginia] could see the policy of a gradual abolition of slavery. It might prevent much future mischief. --Washington.
- A condition of subjection or submission characterized by lack of freedom of action or of will. The vulgar slaveries rich men submit to. --C. Lever. There is a slavery that no legislation can abolish, -- the slavery of caste. --G. W. Cable.
- The holding of slaves. Syn: Bondage; servitude; inthrallment; enslavement; captivity; bond service; vassalage.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Slavery'
Slavery is a system in which people are the property of others. Slaves can be held against their will from the time of their capture, purchase or birth, and deprived of the right to leave, to refuse to work, or to demand wages. In some societies it was legal for an owner to kill a slave. In others it was a crime to kill a slave.
The organization Anti-Slavery International defines slavery as "forced labour." By this definition there are approximately 27 million slaves in the world today, more than at any point in history and more than twice as many as all African slaves who survived being taken to the Americas in the Atlantic slave trade.
The International Labour Organization, however, does not equate forced labour with slavery. According to the ILO, there are estimated 12 million people around the world still working under coercion in forced labour, slavery and slavery-like practices.[See more about Slavery at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Slavery'
'Slavery' in famous quotation sentence
* Debt is the slavery of the free. - Publilius Syrus
* Enjoy things which are pleasant that is not the evil it is the reducing of our moral self to slavery by them that is. - Thomas Carlyle
Click here for more related quotations on 'Slavery'
Slavery Sample Sentences in News
- London 'slavery' case: suspects had been arrested before
The two suspects bailed after three women were alleged to have been held for 30 years were previously arrested in the 1970s, Scotland Yard has said • What we have learned so far today • Live coverage of all developments Paul Owen Read more on this news related to 'Slavery'
- Latitude Festival
The benefits of slavery have accrued down the generations, so why are we so nervous about the responsibility for the slave trade doing the same? Read more on this news related to 'Slavery'
- Three women rescued after 'decades of slavery' in south London home
Two people arrested by police investigating slavery and domestic servitude Three "highly traumatised" women have been rescued from a house in south London where they appear to have been held captive for three decades, Scotland Yard has said. A 69-year-old Malaysian woman, a 57-year-old Irish woman and a 30-year-old British woman were all rescued from the Read more on this news related to 'Slavery'