Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Slavery'
- the state of being under the control of another person [syn: bondage, thrall, thralldom, thraldom]
- the practice of owning slaves [syn: slaveholding]
- work done under harsh conditions for little or no pay
- Slavery \Slav"er*y\, n.; pl. Slaveries. [See 2d Slave.]
- The condition of a slave; the state of entire subjection of one person to the will of another. Disguise thyself as thou wilt, still, slavery, said I, still thou art a bitter draught! --Sterne. I wish, from my soul, that the legislature of this state [Virginia] could see the policy of a gradual abolition of slavery. It might prevent much future mischief. --Washington.
- A condition of subjection or submission characterized by lack of freedom of action or of will. The vulgar slaveries rich men submit to. --C. Lever. There is a slavery that no legislation can abolish, -- the slavery of caste. --G. W. Cable.
- The holding of slaves. Syn: Bondage; servitude; inthrallment; enslavement; captivity; bond service; vassalage.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Slavery'
Slavery is a system in which people are the property of others. Slaves can be held against their will from the time of their capture, purchase or birth, and deprived of the right to leave, to refuse to work, or to demand wages. In some societies it was legal for an owner to kill a slave. In others it was a crime to kill a slave.
The organization Anti-Slavery International defines slavery as "forced labour." By this definition there are approximately 27 million slaves in the world today, more than at any point in history and more than twice as many as all African slaves who survived being taken to the Americas in the Atlantic slave trade.
The International Labour Organization, however, does not equate forced labour with slavery. According to the ILO, there are estimated 12 million people around the world still working under coercion in forced labour, slavery and slavery-like practices.[See more about Slavery at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Slavery'
'Slavery' in famous quotation sentence
* Debt is the slavery of the free. - Publilius Syrus
* Enjoy things which are pleasant that is not the evil it is the reducing of our moral self to slavery by them that is. - Thomas Carlyle
Click here for more related quotations on 'Slavery'
Slavery Sample Sentences in News
- Caribbean nations consider push for slavery reparations
By Aileen Torres KINGSTON (Reuters) - More than 150 years after European colonial powers abolished slavery, a coalition of Caribbean nations is considering legal action to seek a formal apology and monetary compensation. Caribbean leaders meeting next week in St. Vincent are expected to study a broad legal outline for the reparations claim prepared by a British la Read more on this news related to 'Slavery'
- Human Trafficking: Why Slavery Still Exists
Yet the issue of slavery is nearly as much of a problem today as it was in 1841, when Solomon Northup was kidnapped from his home. As many as 21 million men, women and children are trafficked within their own countries and across international borders in the 21st century, to be sold as forced labourers, sex slaves, for forced marriages and as child soldiers. Kevi Read more on this news related to 'Slavery'
- Mauritania should take more steps to eliminate slavery: UN
Mauritania has made progress towards fighting slavery but needs to do more to eliminate it completely, a U.N. human rights expert said on Thursday. "I commend the government of Mauritania for the measures taken since my last mission in 2009 and for its commitment to ending slavery in the country," Gulnara Shahinian, U.N. Special Rapporteur on slavery, sa Read more on this news related to 'Slavery'