Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Skirting'
adj : being all around the edges; enclosing; "his encircling
arms"; "the room's skirting board needs painting" [syn:
- Skirt \Skirt\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Skirted; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To cover with a skirt; to surround. Skirted his loins and thighs with downy gold. --Milton.
- To border; to form the border or edge of; to run along the edge of; as, the plain was skirted by rows of trees. ``When sundown skirts the moor.'' --Tennyson.
- Skirting \Skirt"ing\, n.
- (Arch.) A skirting board. [R.]
- Skirts, taken collectivelly; material for skirts. Skirting board, the board running around a room on the wall next the floor; baseboard.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Skirting'
In architecture, a baseboard (also called skirting board, skirting, mopboard, floor molding, as well as base molding) is a (generally wooden) board, covering the lowest part of an interior wall. Its purpose is to cover the joint between the wall surface (usually plaster or drywall) and the floor.
It covers the uneven edge as flooring meets the wall; protects the wall from kicks, abrasion, and furniture; and can serve as a decorative molding.
At its simplest, baseboard consists of a simple plank nailed, screwed or glued to the wall; however, particularly in older houses, it can be made up of a number of mouldings for decoration.
Plastic baseboard is usually available in white or a flexible version in several colors and is generally glued to the wall. Wooden baseboard is available in paint or stain grade versions. Paint grade will not take stain well. Paint grade baseboards can be either "raw finger jointed" or "primed." Stain grade woods—such as oak, pine, and maple—are clearer and are suitable for staining in natural finishes.[See more about Skirting at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Skirting'
Skirting Sample Sentences in News
- No skirting issue for Hockeyroo
AS a young girl Anna Flanagan literally dug a hole for herself when she protested against having to wear a skirt playing hockey. Read more on this news related to 'Skirting'
- BTO owners complain about defects via Facebook
Infuriated by the flaws, some homeowners of Tampines GreenLeaf (pictured) are using Facebook to highlight the defects of their new HDB flats, according to media reports. In comparison, the skirting they viewed when choosing their unit had visible wooden grain, and this type of skirting was used in the first two blocks of Tampines GreenLeaf, 522A and 522B. Accordin Read more on this news related to 'Skirting'
- Sen. Al Franken accuses AT&T of ‘skirting’ net neutrality rules
The lawmaker warns that letting it buy DirecTV could give AT&T gatekeeper power over the mobile Web. Read more on this news related to 'Skirting'