Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Skirting'
adj : being all around the edges; enclosing; "his encircling
arms"; "the room's skirting board needs painting" [syn:
- Skirt \Skirt\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Skirted; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To cover with a skirt; to surround. Skirted his loins and thighs with downy gold. --Milton.
- To border; to form the border or edge of; to run along the edge of; as, the plain was skirted by rows of trees. ``When sundown skirts the moor.'' --Tennyson.
- Skirting \Skirt"ing\, n.
- (Arch.) A skirting board. [R.]
- Skirts, taken collectivelly; material for skirts. Skirting board, the board running around a room on the wall next the floor; baseboard.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Skirting'
In architecture, a baseboard (also called skirting board, skirting, mopboard, floor molding, as well as base molding) is a (generally wooden) board, covering the lowest part of an interior wall. Its purpose is to cover the joint between the wall surface (usually plaster or drywall) and the floor.
It covers the uneven edge as flooring meets the wall; protects the wall from kicks, abrasion, and furniture; and can serve as a decorative molding.
At its simplest, baseboard consists of a simple plank nailed, screwed or glued to the wall; however, particularly in older houses, it can be made up of a number of mouldings for decoration.
Plastic baseboard is usually available in white or a flexible version in several colors and is generally glued to the wall. Wooden baseboard is available in paint or stain grade versions. Paint grade will not take stain well. Paint grade baseboards can be either "raw finger jointed" or "primed." Stain grade woods—such as oak, pine, and maple—are clearer and are suitable for staining in natural finishes.[See more about Skirting at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Skirting'
Skirting Sample Sentences in News
- Qantas and Etihad skirting the law, warns competition regulator
Qantas and one of the key shareholders in Virgin Australia are skirting the law in their apparent attempts to negotiate a truce over prices and capacity, Australia's top competition regulator has warned. Read more on this news related to 'Skirting'
- Massachusetts lawmaker promises changes after "upskirting" ruling
The practice of so-called "up-skirting" - or taking photos up a woman's skirt without her knowledge - is legal in Massachusetts. Read more on this news related to 'Skirting'
- BP Splitter Refinery Seen Skirting U.S. Oil Export Ban
BP Plc (BP/) isn't waiting for a decision. The British oil giant has signed on to take at least 80 percent of the capacity of a new $360 million mini-refinery in Houston that will process crude just enough to escape restrictions on sales outside the country. Amid a flood of new U.S. oil, the demand for simple, one-step plants capable of transforming raw crude Read more on this news related to 'Skirting'