Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Skipping'
Skipping Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a gait in which steps and hops alternate
- a mistake resulting from neglect [syn: omission] v
- bypass; "He skipped a row in the text and so the sentence was incomprehensible" [syn: jump, pass over, skip over}]
- intentionally fail to attend; "cut class" [syn: cut]
- jump lightly [syn: hop, hop-skip]
- leave suddenly; "She persuaded him to decamp"; "skip town" [syn: decamp, vamoose]
- bound off one point after another [syn: bound off]
- cause to skip over a surface; "Skip a stone across the pond" [syn: skim, skitter] [also: skipping, skipped]
- Skip \Skip\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Skipped; p. pr. & vb. n.
Skipping.] [OE. skippen, of uncertain origin; cf. Icel.
skopa run, skoppa to spin like a top, OSw. & dial. Sw.
skimmpa to run, skimpa, skompa, to hop, skip; or Ir. sgiob to
snatch, Gael. sgiab to start or move suddenly, to snatch, W.
ysgipio to snatch.]
- To leap lightly; to move in leaps and hounds; -- commonly implying a sportive spirit. The lamb thy riot dooms to bleed to-day, Had he thy reason, would he skip and play? --Pope. So she drew her mother away skipping, dancing, and frisking fantastically. --Hawthorne.
- Fig.: To leave matters unnoticed, as in reading, speaking, or writing; to pass by, or overlook, portions of a thing; -- often followed by over.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Skipping'
- Skipping rope: Skipping rope (British English ) or jump rope (American English ) is the primary tool used in the game of skipping played by child ren and ...
Words and phrases related to 'Skipping'
Skipping Sample Sentences in News
- Investors Pour Into Vanguard, Skipping Stock Pickers
Vanguard this week is expected to top $3 trillion in assets, the latest in a series of milestones for the mutual-fund giant. The company got help from two investing legends: Warren Buffett and Bill Gross. Geoffrey Rogow joins MoneyBeat. Read more on this news related to 'Skipping'
- Docs: Skipping infants' vitamin K shots a bad idea
Medical centers across the country are reporting an increase of vitamin K deficiencies that are serious and in some cases fatal, but they're also completely avoidable. Read more on this news related to 'Skipping'
- Bubba skipping long-drive contest at Valhalla
Bubba skipping long-drive contest at Valhalla Read more on this news related to 'Skipping'