Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Skipping'
Skipping Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a gait in which steps and hops alternate
- a mistake resulting from neglect [syn: omission] v
- bypass; "He skipped a row in the text and so the sentence was incomprehensible" [syn: jump, pass over, skip over}]
- intentionally fail to attend; "cut class" [syn: cut]
- jump lightly [syn: hop, hop-skip]
- leave suddenly; "She persuaded him to decamp"; "skip town" [syn: decamp, vamoose]
- bound off one point after another [syn: bound off]
- cause to skip over a surface; "Skip a stone across the pond" [syn: skim, skitter] [also: skipping, skipped]
- Skip \Skip\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Skipped; p. pr. & vb. n.
Skipping.] [OE. skippen, of uncertain origin; cf. Icel.
skopa run, skoppa to spin like a top, OSw. & dial. Sw.
skimmpa to run, skimpa, skompa, to hop, skip; or Ir. sgiob to
snatch, Gael. sgiab to start or move suddenly, to snatch, W.
ysgipio to snatch.]
- To leap lightly; to move in leaps and hounds; -- commonly implying a sportive spirit. The lamb thy riot dooms to bleed to-day, Had he thy reason, would he skip and play? --Pope. So she drew her mother away skipping, dancing, and frisking fantastically. --Hawthorne.
- Fig.: To leave matters unnoticed, as in reading, speaking, or writing; to pass by, or overlook, portions of a thing; -- often followed by over.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Skipping'
- Skipping rope: Skipping rope (British English ) or jump rope (American English ) is the primary tool used in the game of skipping played by child ren and ...
Words and phrases related to 'Skipping'
Skipping Sample Sentences in News
- HK jumps for joy – and victory
An unlikely contender has evolved into a global, organised competitive sport: rope skipping, or jump rope. Some Hong Kongers are incredibly adept at it, too. The World Rope Skipping Championships 2014 will take place in the city for the first time later this month – and 159 local athletes will compete with 1,000 others from around the world. This is the largest Read more on this news related to 'Skipping'
- New York adults gather for skipping club
Meet one fitness class that's spreading positivity and shedding pounds by skipping in a skipping club. Michelle Joni is the group's founder. She came up with the idea when she was heading to get a manicure and it was so cold she started skipping to stay warm. Read more on this news related to 'Skipping'
- Beyonce and Jay Z's reason for skipping Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's wedding revealed
It was the perceived snub that threatened to overshadow the fairytale wedding of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. Read more on this news related to 'Skipping'