Simile Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a figure of speech that expresses a resemblance between things of different kinds (usually formed with `like'' or `as'')
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a figure of speech that expresses a resemblance between things of different kinds (usually formed with `like' or `as')
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Simile'?
Simile Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A simile is a figure of speech that compares two different things, usually by using the words 'like' or 'as'. It is used to make a direct comparison. Similes may be confused with metaphors, which do the same kind of thing. Similes use comparisons, with the words 'like' or 'as'. Metaphors use indirect comparisons, without the words 'like' or 'as'.
Words and phrases related to 'Simile'
Simile Sample Sentences in News
- Oil train crash in coal country shows dangers of new energy economy
The oil train that derailed and burst into flame in West Virginia earlier this week had passed by Dyann Simile’s house just a few minutes earlier. Click to Continue » Read more on this news related to 'Simile'
- Carmelo Anthony "Getting Close" To Sitting Out The Rest Of The Year
The Knicks lost again last night, with a starting five of Jose Calderon, Langston Galloway, Carmelo Anthony, Jason Smith, and Lou Amundson. Removing Anthony would be like putting a bolt through a broken-down horse's brain. But that's a pretty accurate simile, come to think of it, and it's no less than the Knicks need or deserve. Read more... Read more on this news related to 'Simile'
- Silver Lining Creamery Celebrates One Year
Rapid City ice cream fans were in for a treat all day Sunday. Silver Lining Creamery at Main Street Square offered up the free ice cream scoops to celebrate a successful first year in business. Nothing says thanks and puts a simile on customer’s faces like free ice cream! Read more on this news related to 'Simile'