Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sighed'
Sighed Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Sigh \Sigh\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Sighed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Sighing.] [OE. sighen, si?en; cf. also OE. siken, AS.
s[=i]can, and OE. sighten, si?ten, sichten, AS. siccettan;
all, perhaps, of imitative origin.]
- To inhale a larger quantity of air than usual, and immediately expel it; to make a deep single audible respiration, especially as the result or involuntary expression of fatigue, exhaustion, grief, sorrow, or the like.
- Hence, to lament; to grieve. He sighed deeply in his spirit. --Mark viii. 12.
- To make a sound like sighing. And the coming wind did roar more loud, And the sails did sigh like sedge. --Coleridge. The winter winds are wearily sighing. --Tennyson. Note: An extraordinary pronunciation of this word as s[=i]th is still heard in England and among the illiterate in the United States.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sighed'
Words and phrases related to 'Sighed'
Sighed Sample Sentences in News
- Methow Valley is open for business this holiday weekend
"It's really been an unbelievable summer," sighed Kristen Smith, marketing manager at the Winthrop Chamber of Commerce. But the wildfires are out and flash floods have subsided (both were well away from Winthrop) and one of the best things Washingtonians can do to help the Methow Valley is to come v Read more on this news related to 'Sighed'
- Hard times for 'red gold' divers in Morocco's El Dorado
Harvesting mineral-rich seaweed on Morocco's Atlantic coast, Attibari Lemkhanter worries that the plant known locally as "red gold" is becoming increasingly scarce. "There are more and more divers and less and less red seaweed," Lemkhanter sighed as he worked on a beach in El Jadida, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) southwest of Casablanca. Read more on this news related to 'Sighed'
- OPINION: Truth from a poetry sleuth
Mother sighed. “It’s not a card you carry in your wallet,” she said. But she was too late. I didn’t care where you carried it. If there was a way to get one of those poetic licenses, I was going to find it. And in a way I’ve been looking for it ever since. Read more on this news related to 'Sighed'