Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sighed'
Sighed Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Sigh \Sigh\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Sighed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Sighing.] [OE. sighen, si?en; cf. also OE. siken, AS.
s[=i]can, and OE. sighten, si?ten, sichten, AS. siccettan;
all, perhaps, of imitative origin.]
- To inhale a larger quantity of air than usual, and immediately expel it; to make a deep single audible respiration, especially as the result or involuntary expression of fatigue, exhaustion, grief, sorrow, or the like.
- Hence, to lament; to grieve. He sighed deeply in his spirit. --Mark viii. 12.
- To make a sound like sighing. And the coming wind did roar more loud, And the sails did sigh like sedge. --Coleridge. The winter winds are wearily sighing. --Tennyson. Note: An extraordinary pronunciation of this word as s[=i]th is still heard in England and among the illiterate in the United States.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sighed'
Words and phrases related to 'Sighed'
Sighed Sample Sentences in News
- Methow Valley is open for business this holiday weekend
"It's really been an unbelievable summer," sighed Kristen Smith, marketing manager at the Winthrop Chamber of Commerce. But the wildfires are out and flash floods have subsided (both were well away from Winthrop) and one of the best things Washingtonians can do to help the Methow Valley is to come v Read more on this news related to 'Sighed'
- Area teens take part in MASH Camp at Sikeston Career and Technology Center
SIKESTON -- Natalie Vaught sighed with a bit of frustration. The stitches just weren't going in the way she'd wanted -- or the way they were supposed. Read more on this news related to 'Sighed'
- Gold bullion buried on Folkestone beach hidden bounty draws crowds
Gold rush with spades after artist Michael Sailstorfer hides £10,000 of gold on foreshore for town's Triennial arts festival "It's getting more sculptural by the minute," a misty-eyed Lewis Biggs sighed as he watched more and more people with spades and a grimly determined look arriving Thursday afternoon at the beach at Folkestone. Biggs, the c Read more on this news related to 'Sighed'