Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sift'
- move as if through a sieve; "The soldiers sifted through the woods"
- separate by passing through a sieve or other straining device to separate out coarser elements; "sift the flour" [syn: sieve, strain]
- check and sort carefully; "sift the information" [syn: sieve]
- distinguish and separate out; "sift through the job candidates" [syn: sieve]
- Sift \Sift\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sifted; p. pr. & vb. n.
Sifting.] [AS. siftan, from sife sieve. [root] a. See
- To separate with a sieve, as the fine part of a substance from the coarse; as, to sift meal or flour; to sift powder; to sift sand or lime.
- To separate or part as if with a sieve. When yellow sands are sifted from below, The glittering billows give a golden show. --Dryden.
- To examine critically or minutely; to scrutinize. Sifting the very utmost sentence and syllable. --Hooker. Opportunity I here have had To try thee, sift thee. --Milton. Let him but narrowly sift his ideas. --I. Taylor. To sift out, to search out with care, as if by sifting.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sift'
A sieve, or sifter, separates wanted elements from unwanted material using a woven screen such as a mesh or net. However, in cooking, especially with flour, a sifter is used to aerate the substance, among other things. A strainer is a type of sieve typically used to separate a solid from a liquid. The word "sift" derives from sieve.
Sieving is a simple and convenient technique of separating particles of different sizes. A small sieve such as that used for sifting flour has very small holes which allow only very fine flour particles to pass through. The coarse particles are retained in the sieve or are broken up by grinding against the screen windows. Depending upon the types of particles to be separated, sieves with different types of holes are used. Separating tea leaves from tea is not considered to be sieving.[See more about Sift at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Sift'
'Sift' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Sift'
Sift Sample Sentences in News
- Jumio and Sift Science Named 2014 METAward Winners
SEATTLE -- The MRC has announced the winners of the 2014 METAwards. Jumio, a leader in next generation payments utilizing proprietary computer vision technology to reduce mobile payment friction and ID ... Read more on this news related to 'Sift'
- Target-Date ETFs That Fit Your Retirement Outlook
With a plethora of available options, investors can sift through hundreds or thousands of stocks and bonds to craft a diversified portfolio. Alternatively, investors with a general time horizon in mind ... Read more on this news related to 'Sift'
- 41 People Displaced After Apartment Fire: People Sift Through Damage To Find What's Left
SPOKANE, Wash.- 41 people receiving assistance from the Red Cross after a building at the Brick Haven Apartment Complex on the 6500 block of North Atlantic went up in flames. We spoke with a woman who was in the apartment where the fire started. Read more on this news related to 'Sift'