Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sift'
- move as if through a sieve; "The soldiers sifted through the woods"
- separate by passing through a sieve or other straining device to separate out coarser elements; "sift the flour" [syn: sieve, strain]
- check and sort carefully; "sift the information" [syn: sieve]
- distinguish and separate out; "sift through the job candidates" [syn: sieve]
- Sift \Sift\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sifted; p. pr. & vb. n.
Sifting.] [AS. siftan, from sife sieve. [root] a. See
- To separate with a sieve, as the fine part of a substance from the coarse; as, to sift meal or flour; to sift powder; to sift sand or lime.
- To separate or part as if with a sieve. When yellow sands are sifted from below, The glittering billows give a golden show. --Dryden.
- To examine critically or minutely; to scrutinize. Sifting the very utmost sentence and syllable. --Hooker. Opportunity I here have had To try thee, sift thee. --Milton. Let him but narrowly sift his ideas. --I. Taylor. To sift out, to search out with care, as if by sifting.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sift'
A sieve, or sifter, separates wanted elements from unwanted material using a woven screen such as a mesh or net. However, in cooking, especially with flour, a sifter is used to aerate the substance, among other things. A strainer is a type of sieve typically used to separate a solid from a liquid. The word "sift" derives from sieve.
Sieving is a simple and convenient technique of separating particles of different sizes. A small sieve such as that used for sifting flour has very small holes which allow only very fine flour particles to pass through. The coarse particles are retained in the sieve or are broken up by grinding against the screen windows. Depending upon the types of particles to be separated, sieves with different types of holes are used. Separating tea leaves from tea is not considered to be sieving.[See more about Sift at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Sift'
'Sift' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Sift'
Sift Sample Sentences in News
- App "sifts" through offers for you
Sift app sorts through offers for you Read more on this news related to 'Sift'
- Barn fire kills estimated 1,300 pigs near Auburn
Members of the North Huron Fire Department sift through the remnants of a barn fire at a pig farm. Read more on this news related to 'Sift'
- Trombetta attorneys ask for more time to sift through millions of documents in criminal case
The government has produced a flood of documents in its prosecution of the former head of a Beaver County cyber charter school, his attorneys say ... Read more on this news related to 'Sift'