Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Side'
- located on a side; "side fences"; "the side porch" [syn: side(a)] [ant: top(a), bottom(a)]
- added as a consequence or supplement; "a side benefit" [syn: side(a)] n
- a place within a region identified relative to a center or reference location; "they always sat on the right side of the church"; "he never left my side"
- one of two or more contesting groups; "the Confederate side was prepared to attack"
- either the left or right half of a body; "he had a pain in his side"
- an extended outer surface of an object; "he turned the box over to examine the bottom side"; "they painted all four sides of the house"
- a surface forming part of the outside of an object; "he examined all sides of the crystal"; "dew dripped from the face of the leaf" [syn: face]
- a line segment forming part of the perimeter of a plane figure; "the hypotenuse of a right triangle is always the longest side"
- an aspect of something (as contrasted with some other implied aspect); "he was on the heavy side"; "he is on the purchasing side of the business"; "it brought out his better side"
- a family line of descent; "he gets his brains from his father's side"
- a lengthwise dressed half of an animal's carcass used for food [syn: side of meat]
- an opinion that is held in opposition to another in an argument or dispute; "there are two sides to every question" [syn: position] 1
- an elevated geological formation; "he climbed the steep slope"; "the house was built on the side of the mountain" [syn: slope, incline] 1
- (sports) the spin given to a ball by striking it on one side or releasing it with a sharp twist [syn: English] v
- take sides with; align oneself with; show strong sympathy for; "We all rooted for the home team"; "I'm pulling for the underdog"; "Are you siding with the defender of the title?" [syn: pull, root]
- take the side of; be on the side of; "Whose side are you on?"; "Why are you taking sides with the accused?" [syn: go with] [ant: straddle]
- , to laugh secretly, or so as not to be observed, especially
while apparently preserving a grave or serious demeanor toward
the person or persons laughed at.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Side'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Side'
Side (Greek: Σίδη Side, Turkish: Side) was an ancient Luvi city in Anatolia, in the region of Pamphylia, in what is now Antalya province, on the southern Mediterranean coast of Turkey. It is now a resort town and one of the best-known classical sites in Turkey, near Manavgat and the village of Selimiye, 75 km from Antalya) in the province of Antalya.
It is located on the eastern part of the Pamphylian coast, which lies about 20 km east of the mouth of the Eurymedon River. Today, as in antiquity, the ancient city is situated on a small north-south peninsula about 1 km long and 400 m across.
Strabo and Arrian both record that Side was founded by Greek settlers from Cyme in Aeolis, a region of western Anatolia. This most likely occurred in the 7th century BC. Possessing a good harbor for small-craft boats, Side's natural geography made it one of the most important places in Pamphylia and one of the most important trade centers in the region. According to Arrian, when settlers from Cyme came to Side, they could not understand the dialect. After a short while, the influence of this indigenous tongue was so great that the newcomers forgot their native Greek and started using the language of Side. Excavations have revealed several inscriptions written in this language. The inscriptions, dating from the 3rd and 2nd centuries BC, remain undeciphered, but testify that the local language was still in use several centuries after colonization. Another object found in the excavations at Side, a basalt column base from the 7th century BC and attributable to the Neo-Hittites, provides further evidence of the site's early history. The name Side is Anatolian in origin and means pomegranate.[See more about Side at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Side'
'Side' in famous quotation sentence
* Every burned book or house enlightens the world every suppressed or expunged word reverberates through the earth from side to side. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* The wise man always throws himself on the side of his assailants. It is more his interest than it is theirs to find his weak point. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Side'
Side Sample Sentences in News
- Soccer-Porto out after defeat at Atletico
* Portuguese side finish third behind Zenit * Garcia, Costa strike for Atletico in 2-0 win (Adds details, byline) By Iain Rogers MADRID, Dec 11 (Reuters) - Porto will have to settle for a place in Europe's second-tier club competition after their Champions League campaign ended with a 2-0 defeat at Group G winners Atletico Madrid on Wednesday. Zenit St Petersb Read more on this news related to 'Side'
- West Side Main Street sees year of success
CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Side Main Street had one of its most successful years in 2013, Executive Director Stephanie Johnson told the Charleston Urban Renewal Authority Wednesday. "The statistics show that weve had an excellent year, and we ha... Read more on this news related to 'Side'
- West Side Main Street director says area is progressing
CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Side Main Street has made significant strides in the past year in its efforts to improve areas on Charlestons West Side, the organizations director said at its annual meeting Thursday. "Its just such a great community,&quo... Read more on this news related to 'Side'