Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Shyer'
Shyer Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- lacking self-confidence; "stood in the doorway diffident and abashed"; "problems that call for bold not timid responses"; "a very unsure young man" [syn: diffident, timid, unsure]
- easily startled or frightened
- short; "eleven is one shy of a dozen" [syn: shy(p)]
- wary and distrustful; disposed to avoid persons or things; "shy of strangers" n : a quick throw; "he gave the ball a shy to the first baseman" v
- start suddenly, as from fight
- throw quickly [also: shied, shyest, shyer, shiest, shier]
- Shy \Shy\ (sh[imac]), a. [Compar. Shier (-[~e]r) or Shyer;
superl. Shiest or Shyest.] [OE. schey, skey, sceouh, AS.
sce['o]h; akin to Dan. sky, Sw. skygg, D. schuw, MHG.
schiech, G. scheu, OHG. sciuhen to be or make timid. Cf.
- Easily frightened; timid; as, a shy bird. The horses of the army . . . were no longer shy, but would come up to my very feet without starting. --Swift.
- Reserved; coy; disinclined to familiar approach. What makes you so shy, my good friend? There's nobody loves you better than I. --Arbuthnot. The embarrassed look of shy distress And maidenly shamefacedness. --Wordsworth.
- Cautious; wary; suspicious. I am very shy of using corrosive liquors in the preparation of medicines. --Boyle. Princes are, by wisdom of state, somewhat shy of thier successors. --Sir H. Wotton. To fight shy. See under Fight, v. i.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Shyer'
- Charles Shyer: Charles Richard Shyer (born October 11, 1941) is an American film director , writer and producer . Shyer's films are predominantly ...
- Christopher Shyer: Christopher Shyer (sometimes credited as "Chris Shyer") is a Canadian actor who has appeared in over 50 film and television roles. ...
- Melville Shyer: Melville J. Shyer (September 28, 1895 - September 14, 1968 was an American film director , writer and producer . He was one of ...
Words and phrases related to 'Shyer'
Shyer Sample Sentences in News
- Outgoing Gorillas Live Longer Than Shy Ones
Great apes who display the sense of curiosity and playfulness generally associated with extroverts generally outlive their shyer counterparts -- Read more on ScientificAmerican.com Read more on this news related to 'Shyer'
- LaBeouf appears shyer than ever
BIZARRE red-carpet behaviour at the Berlin Film Festival from the Nymphomaniac star who claims to have retired from public life. Read more on this news related to 'Shyer'