Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Shrewdness'
Shrewdness Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : intelligence manifested by being astute (as in business
dealings) [syn: astuteness, perspicacity, perspicaciousness]
- Shrewd \Shrewd\, a. [Compar. Shrewder; superl. Shrewdest.]
[Originally the p. p. of shrew, v.t.]
- Inclining to shrew; disposing to curse or scold; hence, vicious; malicious; evil; wicked; mischievous; vexatious; rough; unfair; shrewish. [Obs.] --Chaucer. [Egypt] hath many shrewd havens, because of the great rocks that ben strong and dangerous to pass by. --Sir J. Mandeville. Every of this happy number That have endured shrewd days and nights with us. --Shak.
- Artful; wily; cunning; arch. These women are shrewd tempters with their tongues. --Shak.
- Able or clever in practical affairs; sharp in business; astute; sharp-witted; sagacious; keen; as, a shrewd observer; a shrewd design; a shrewd reply. Professing to despise the ill opinion of mankind creates a shrewd suspicion that we have deserved it. --Secker. Syn: Keen; critical; subtle; artful; astute; sagacious; discerning; acute; penetrating. Usage: Shrewd, Sagacious. One who is shrewd is keen to detect errors, to penetrate disguises, to foresee and guard against the selfishness of others. Shrewd is a word of less dignity than sagacious, which implies a comprehensive as well as penetrating mind, whereas shrewd does not. -- Shrewd"ly, adv. -- Shrewd"ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Shrewdness'
Words and phrases related to 'Shrewdness'
Shrewdness Sample Sentences in News
- Joy Burch's challenges as an ACT minister
A lack of political shrewdness has defined Joy Burch’s tenure in Katy Gallagher's ACT Cabinet. Read more on this news related to 'Shrewdness'