Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Shoved'
Shoved Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Shove \Shove\ (sh[u^]v), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Shoved
(sh[u^]vd); p. pr. & vb. n. Shoving.] [OE. shoven, AS.
scofian, fr. sc[=u]fan; akin to OFries. sk[=u]va, D.
schuiven, G. schieben, OHG. scioban, Icel. sk[=u]fa,
sk[=y]fa, Sw. skuffa, Dan. skuffe, Goth. afskiuban to put
away, cast away; cf. Skr. kshubh to become agitated, to
quake, Lith. skubrus quick, skubinti to hasten. [root]160.
Cf. Sheaf a bundle of stalks, Scoop, Scuffle.]
- To drive along by the direct and continuous application of strength; to push; especially, to push (a body) so as to make it move along the surface of another body; as, to shove a boat on the water; to shove a table across the floor.
- To push along, aside, or away, in a careless or rude manner; to jostle. And shove away the worthy bidden guest. --Milton. He used to shove and elbow his fellow servants. --Arbuthnot.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Shoved'
Words and phrases related to 'Shoved'
Shoved Sample Sentences in News
- Jeremy Lin shoved cake in his mom's face
Shoving cake (or pie, if you insist) in another human being's face as a celebratory move is a common act on sports teams. It's a much less common act when done on a parent. It's an even less common act when the pie is not only placed on the face, but then jammed in there for a few seconds for maximum effect.I can see why Jeremy Lin's mom was upset. Read more on this news related to 'Shoved'
- John Farrell notes the consequences of chewing tobacco
It's no surprise to see baseball players and coaches standing in the field or dugout with a wad of chewing tobacco shoved in their mouths. Read more on this news related to 'Shoved'
- Stock Market Today: Stocks Nudge Higher as Markets Await Fed Insight
Geopolitics have been shoved to the backburner with the spotlight for U.S. investors now on Federal Reserve Chief Janet Yellen and the U.S. central bank. Read more on this news related to 'Shoved'