Short Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed between 2nd and 3rd base
- the location on a baseball field where the shortstop is stationed
- accidental contact between two points in an electric circuit that have a potential difference
- create a short-circuit in
- cheat someone by not returning him enough money
- most direct; "took the shortest and most direct route to town"
- quickly aroused to anger; "a hotheaded commander"
- primarily spatial sense; having little length or lacking in length; "short skirts"; "short hair"; "the board was a foot short"; "a short toss"
- primarily temporal sense; indicating or being or seeming to be limited in duration; "a short life"; "a short flight"; "a short holiday"; "a short story"; "only a few short months"
- of speech sounds (especially vowels) of relatively short duration (as e.g. the English vowel sounds in `pat'', `pet'', `pit'', `pot'', putt'')
- not holding securities or commodities that one sells in expectation of a fall in prices; "a short sale"; "short in cotton"
- unwilling to endure; "she was short with the slower students"
- lacking foresight or scope; "a short view of the problem"; "shortsighted policies"; "shortsighted critics derided the plan"; "myopic thinking"
- (of memory) deficient in retentiveness or range; "a short memory"
- used of syllables that are unaccented or of relatively brief duration
- not sufficient to meet a need; "an inadequate income"; "a poor salary"; "money is short"; "on short rations"; "food is in short supply"; "short on experience"
- less than the correct or legal or full amount often deliberately so; "a light pound"; "a scant cup of sugar"; "regularly gives short weight"
- low in stature; not tall; "his was short and stocky"; "short in stature"; "a short smokestack"
- containing a large amount of shortening; therefore tender and easy to crumble or break into flakes; "shortbread is a short crumbly cookie"; "a short flaky pie crust"
- quickly and without warning; "he stopped suddenly"
- in a curt, abrupt and discourteous manner; "he told me curtly to get on with it"; "he talked short with everyone"; "he said shortly that he didn''t like it"
- tightly; "she caught him up short on his lapel"
- at a disadvantage; "I was caught short"
- so as to interrupt; "She took him up short before he could continue"
- at some point or distance before a goal is reached; "he fell short of our expectations"
- clean across; "the car''s axle snapped short"
- without possessing something at the time it is contractually sold; "he made his fortune by selling short just before the crash"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the location on a baseball field where the shortstop is stationed ,
- accidental contact between two points in an electric circuit that have a potential difference ,
- the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed between second and third base
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Short'?
Short Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Length is a property of a thing that can be measured. One of the methods of measurement is either using a ruler or a Geometric Square. We generally measure the length of small shapes but we have made a range of sizes so you can either have an 'easy to go' degree of accuracy or an close to exact measurement in millimeters, or even more accurate ways of saying that length, the more longer the object seems the lesser the degree of accuracy we tend to measure it. The length of something is the distance between two ends of the thing. Short means of small length. Long means of much length. Short and long are opposites. For two dimensional things, length is usually the longer side of measurement.
Length is also a property of time. An amount of time has a length.
Words and phrases related to 'Short'
'Short' example sentence in quotations
* Art is long, life short judgment difficult, opportunity transient. - Johann von Goethe
* Once a man has made a commitment to a way of life, he puts the greatest strength in the world behind him. It's something we call heart power. Once a man has made his commitment, nothing will stop him short of success. - Vince Lombardi
Click here for more related quotations on 'Short'
Short Sample Sentences in News
- Short Story from Briefing.com
Short Story from Briefing.com Read more on this news related to 'Short'
- North Korea, angered by drills, fires short-range missiles off coast
North Korea fired two short-range missiles off its east coast on Monday, a South Korean military official said, a move seen as a protest against annual military exercises between South Korea and the United States that were due to start hours later. The firing came on the day when the U.S.-South Korean military exercises were scheduled to begin. North Korea frequen Read more on this news related to 'Short'
- Short Sellers Come Back To Biotech Stocks
By and large, short interest among the leading biotechs and emerging pharmaceuticals reversed course and rose again between the January 30 and February 13 settlement dates. Leading that trend were Amgen, ... Read more on this news related to 'Short'