Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Shocking'
- glaringly vivid and graphic; marked by sensationalism; "lurid details of the accident" [syn: lurid]
- giving offense to moral sensibilities and injurious to reputation; "scandalous behavior"; "the wicked rascally shameful conduct of the bankrupt"- Thackeray; "the most shocking book of its time" [syn: disgraceful, scandalous, shameful]
- Shock \Shock\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Shocked; p. pr. & vb. n.
Shocking.] [OE. schokken; cf. D. schokken, F. choquer, Sp.
- Cf. Chuck to strike, Jog, Shake, Shock a striking, Shog, n. & v.]
- To give a shock to; to cause to shake or waver; hence, to strike against suddenly; to encounter with violence. Come the three corners of the world in arms, And we shall shock them. --Shak. I shall never forget the force with which he shocked De Vipont. --Sir W. Scott.
- To strike with surprise, terror, horror, or disgust; to cause to recoil; as, his violence shocked his associates. Advise him not to shock a father's will. --Dryden.
- Shocking \Shock"ing\, a.
Causing to shake or tremble, as by a blow; especially,
causing to recoil with horror or disgust; extremely offensive
The grossest and most shocking villainies. --Secker.
-- Shock"ing*ly, adv. -- Shock"ing*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Shocking'
Shocking is an Australian bred Thoroughbred racehorse, trained by Mark Kavanagh, who won the 149th Melbourne Cup on 3 November 2009 by three-quarters of a length.
Shocking is by the outstanding sire, Street Cry (Ireland) out of Maria Di Castaglia by Danehill (USA). George Fraser purchased Maria di Castiglia (GB) while she was carrying Shocking in utero at a William Inglis bloodstock sale for $20,000. Mr Fraser later sold the resulting foal, Shocking, at the 2007 Magic Millions Yearling Sale for $45,000 to a local horse broker. After being broken in, he was sold on to Laurence Eales for $64,000 in late 2007.
At the time of winning the Melbourne Cup he was four years old and had qualified after winning the Lexus Stakes over 2,500 metres at Flemington on 31 October 2009. The Melbourne Cup was Shocking's 15th start. He defeated Crime Scene (ridden by Kerrin McEvoy) and Mourilyan (ridden by Glyn Schofield) who placed second and third respectively.[See more about Shocking at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Shocking'
Shocking Sample Sentences in News
- "Shocking" Pokemon Project Being Announced Next Week -- What Do You Want to See?
The Pokemon Company announces a livestream for some kind of announcement. Read more on this news related to 'Shocking'
- Shocking Number of America’s Military Families Are Going Hungry
While the number is staggering in itself, about 20 percent of those households include a family member who is serving or has served in the military, according to a survey released this month. With help from 6,000 trained data collectors armed with tablets, Feeding America questioned more than 60,000 of its clients about the circumstances that led them to seek food Read more on this news related to 'Shocking'
- The Pikachu Detective game may finally be announced next week
A "shocking" new Pokémon project will be announced next week, according to The Pokémon Company. The announcement, made in collaboration with Famitsu magazine, will be made via livestream and feature The Pokémon Company president Tsunekazu Ishihara, along with Pokémon anime voice actors Nobuhiko Okamoto and Aoi Yuuki. Taking a leap off the "sho Read more on this news related to 'Shocking'