Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sheaf'
Sheaf Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a package of several things tied together for carrying or
storing [syn: bundle]
[also: sheaves (pl)]
- Sheaf \Sheaf\, n. (Mech.)
A sheave. [R.]
- Sheaf \Sheaf\, n.; pl. Sheaves. [OE. sheef, shef, schef, AS.
sce['a]f; akin to D. schoof, OHG. scoub, G. schaub, Icel.
skauf a fox's brush, and E. shove. See Shove.]
- A quantity of the stalks and ears of wheat, rye, or other grain, bound together; a bundle of grain or straw. The reaper fills his greedy hands, And binds the golden sheaves in brittle bands. --Dryden.
- Any collection of things bound together; a bundle; specifically, a bundle of arrows sufficient to fill a quiver, or the allowance of each archer, -- usually twenty-four. The sheaf of arrows shook and rattled in the case. --Dryden.
- Sheaf \Sheaf\, v. t.
To gather and bind into a sheaf; to make into sheaves; as, to
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sheaf'
- Sheaf: A sheaf is one of the large bundles in which cereal plants are bound after reaping. Accounts of two usages derived from this are found at ...
- Sheaf (mathematics): In mathematics , a sheaf is a tool for systematically tracking locally defined data attached to the open set s of a topological space . ...
- River Sheaf: The River Sheaf is a river in Sheffield , South Yorkshire , England . Its source is the union of the Totley Brook and the Old Hay Brook ...
- Sheaf cohomology: In mathematics , sheaf cohomology is the aspect of sheaf theory , concerned with sheaves of abelian group s, that applies homological ...
- Invertible sheaf: In mathematics , an invertible sheaf is a coherent sheaf S on a ringed space X, for which there is an inverse T with respect to tensor ...
- Coherent sheaf: The definition of coherent sheaves is made with reference to a sheaf of rings that codifies this geometrical information. In addition, ...
- Stalk (sheaf): The stalk of a sheaf is a mathematical construction capturing the behaviour of a sheaf around a given point. Motivation and definition ...
- Injective sheaf: In mathematics , injective sheaves of abelian group s are used to construct the resolutions needed to define sheaf cohomology (and other ...
- Sheaf Square: Sheaf Square is a municipal square lying immediately east of the city centre of Sheffield , England . The sides of the square are lined ...
- Constant sheaf: In mathematics , the constant sheaf on a topological space X associated to a set A is a sheaf of sets on X whose stalks are all equal ...
Words and phrases related to 'Sheaf'
Sheaf Sample Sentences in News
- Gareau goes beyond maximum strikeout total
Extra work: Pitcher records four in the first inning after a dropped third strike produces Wheat Sheaf's lone baserunner Read more on this news related to 'Sheaf'
- UK insurers "begrudgingly" coming around to Solvency II rules - Grant Thornton
"The sector is begrudgingly ... recognising that (Solvency II) will bring some benefits," said Simon Sheaf, head of actuarial and risk at Grant Thornton UK. When asked by lawmakers this month if Britain's insurers were in reasonable shape to meet Solvency II, the Bank of England's director of life insurance, Andrew Bulley, said they were "ov Read more on this news related to 'Sheaf'
- Photo gallery: Saline Celtic Festival draws crowds
The Saline Celtic Festival took place at Millpond Park on Saturday, July 12. The festival featured a number events including Jousting, Sheaf Toss and Braemar.... Read more on this news related to 'Sheaf'