Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sheaf'
Sheaf Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a package of several things tied together for carrying or
storing [syn: bundle]
[also: sheaves (pl)]
- Sheaf \Sheaf\, n. (Mech.)
A sheave. [R.]
- Sheaf \Sheaf\, n.; pl. Sheaves. [OE. sheef, shef, schef, AS.
sce['a]f; akin to D. schoof, OHG. scoub, G. schaub, Icel.
skauf a fox's brush, and E. shove. See Shove.]
- A quantity of the stalks and ears of wheat, rye, or other grain, bound together; a bundle of grain or straw. The reaper fills his greedy hands, And binds the golden sheaves in brittle bands. --Dryden.
- Any collection of things bound together; a bundle; specifically, a bundle of arrows sufficient to fill a quiver, or the allowance of each archer, -- usually twenty-four. The sheaf of arrows shook and rattled in the case. --Dryden.
- Sheaf \Sheaf\, v. t.
To gather and bind into a sheaf; to make into sheaves; as, to
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sheaf'
- Sheaf: A sheaf is one of the large bundles in which cereal plants are bound after reaping. Accounts of two usages derived from this are found at ...
- Sheaf (mathematics): In mathematics , a sheaf is a tool for systematically tracking locally defined data attached to the open set s of a topological space . ...
- River Sheaf: The River Sheaf is a river in Sheffield , South Yorkshire , England . Its source is the union of the Totley Brook and the Old Hay Brook ...
- Sheaf cohomology: In mathematics , sheaf cohomology is the aspect of sheaf theory , concerned with sheaves of abelian group s, that applies homological ...
- Invertible sheaf: In mathematics , an invertible sheaf is a coherent sheaf S on a ringed space X, for which there is an inverse T with respect to tensor ...
- Coherent sheaf: The definition of coherent sheaves is made with reference to a sheaf of rings that codifies this geometrical information. In addition, ...
- Stalk (sheaf): The stalk of a sheaf is a mathematical construction capturing the behaviour of a sheaf around a given point. Motivation and definition ...
- Injective sheaf: In mathematics , injective sheaves of abelian group s are used to construct the resolutions needed to define sheaf cohomology (and other ...
- Sheaf Square: Sheaf Square is a municipal square lying immediately east of the city centre of Sheffield , England . The sides of the square are lined ...
- Constant sheaf: In mathematics , the constant sheaf on a topological space X associated to a set A is a sheaf of sets on X whose stalks are all equal ...
Words and phrases related to 'Sheaf'
Sheaf Sample Sentences in News
- Meet the older men looking to score during spring break
Drew Stevens and David Sheaf are standing in the sand, tossing a football back and forth as the hot Fort Lauderdale sun beams down on their naked torsos. All around,... Read more on this news related to 'Sheaf'
- Campaigning is too risky – even without a duckhouse!
I HAVE before me a sheaf of forms to complete. They're nomination papers for the forthcoming parish council elections and are, frankly, a bit intimidating.There's a seven-page Guidance for Candidates. Part one says: "Before starting the process … potential candidates need to … meet all the requirements for standing for election."You should th Read more on this news related to 'Sheaf'
- Marquis de Sade’s Stolen Sadism Manuscript Returns Home to Paris
"The 120 Days of Sodom" written by the Marquis de Sade while he was imprisoned at the Bastille in 1785. Sade wrote the manuscript in tiny script on both sides of a sheaf of narrow paper, whose sheets he attached into a single 39-foot-long roll. Read more on this news related to 'Sheaf'