Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Settler'
- a person who settles in a new colony or moves into new country [syn: colonist]
- a negotiator who settles disputes
- a clerk in a betting shop who calculates the winnings
- Settler \Set"tler\, n.
- One who settles, becomes fixed, established, etc.
- Especially, one who establishes himself in a new region or a colony; a colonist; a planter; as, the first settlers of New England.
- That which settles or finishes; hence, a blow, etc., which settles or decides a contest. [Colloq.]
- A vessel, as a tub, in which something, as pulverized ore suspended in a liquid, is allowed to settle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Settler'
A settler is a person who has migrated to an area and established permanent residence there, often to colonize the area. Settlers are generally people who take up residence on land and cultivate it, as opposed to nomads. Settlers are sometimes termed "colonists" or "colonials" and—in the United States -- "pioneers".
The term settler is not usually used in relation to the later histories of well-established and/or independent, post-colonial countries with continuing immigration, like the present-day United States, Canada or Australia, where terms like immigrants are preferred. However, Canadian First Nations people often refer to all non-natives as "settler peoples", or "settler populations".
In almost every real historical case, settlers live on land which previously belonged to long-established peoples, known as indigenous people (often called "natives", "Aborigines" or, in the Americas, "Indians"). This land is usually settled against the wishes of the indigenes, and then controlled, defended and expanded by force, or it is bought or leased from indigenous people on terms highly favourable to the settlers, sometimes under a treaty (e.g. the Treaty of Waitangi in New Zealand). In some cases (such as Australia), the legal ownership of some lands is contested much later by indigenous people, who seek or claim traditional usage, land rights, native title and related forms of ownership or partial control.[See more about Settler at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Settler'
Settler Sample Sentences in News
- Settler purposely Runs Over Palestinian near Hebron
HEBRON, August 28, 2014 (WAFA) – A Palestinian youth was injured on Thursday after an Israeli settler deliberately ran him over at a road near the village of Beit Ummar, to the north of Hebron, according to local sources. Read more on this news related to 'Settler'
- Settler escapes the gallows for killing his 11-month-old daughter
KUANTAN: A 31-year-old Felda settler charged with murdering his toddler daughter escaped the death sentence after the High Court today found him to be of unsound mind when committing the offence three years ago. Read more on this news related to 'Settler'
- Settler suffers RM5,000 loss as elephants forage on crops
TAWAU: A farming settler lost about RM5,000 after his bananas and oil palm plantation at Felda Umas here […] Read more on this news related to 'Settler'