Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Settler'
- a person who settles in a new colony or moves into new country [syn: colonist]
- a negotiator who settles disputes
- a clerk in a betting shop who calculates the winnings
- Settler \Set"tler\, n.
- One who settles, becomes fixed, established, etc.
- Especially, one who establishes himself in a new region or a colony; a colonist; a planter; as, the first settlers of New England.
- That which settles or finishes; hence, a blow, etc., which settles or decides a contest. [Colloq.]
- A vessel, as a tub, in which something, as pulverized ore suspended in a liquid, is allowed to settle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Settler'
A settler is a person who has migrated to an area and established permanent residence there, often to colonize the area. Settlers are generally people who take up residence on land and cultivate it, as opposed to nomads. Settlers are sometimes termed "colonists" or "colonials" and—in the United States -- "pioneers".
The term settler is not usually used in relation to the later histories of well-established and/or independent, post-colonial countries with continuing immigration, like the present-day United States, Canada or Australia, where terms like immigrants are preferred. However, Canadian First Nations people often refer to all non-natives as "settler peoples", or "settler populations".
In almost every real historical case, settlers live on land which previously belonged to long-established peoples, known as indigenous people (often called "natives", "Aborigines" or, in the Americas, "Indians"). This land is usually settled against the wishes of the indigenes, and then controlled, defended and expanded by force, or it is bought or leased from indigenous people on terms highly favourable to the settlers, sometimes under a treaty (e.g. the Treaty of Waitangi in New Zealand). In some cases (such as Australia), the legal ownership of some lands is contested much later by indigenous people, who seek or claim traditional usage, land rights, native title and related forms of ownership or partial control.[See more about Settler at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Settler'
Settler Sample Sentences in News
- Israel West Bank settler population grows over 4%
Israel's settler population in the occupied West Bank increased by 4.2 percent in 2013, interior ministry figures show, as US-backed peace talks with the Palestinians falter over the settlement issue. The number of settlers living in the West Bank rose to 375,000 in January 2014 from 360,000 at the same time the year before, according to statistics AFP obtaine Read more on this news related to 'Settler'
- Bengali settlers a deciding factor in Nabarangpur
Voters from the Bengali settler community would be a key deciding factor in the Nabarangpur Lok Sabha constituency.Earlier, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) boasted of support of this Bengali se... Read more on this news related to 'Settler'
- Israel court rules settler ownership of West Bank building
An Israeli court on Tuesday ruled that Jewish settlers were the lawful owners of a long-disputed building in the heart of the occupied West Bank city of Hebron. The Supreme Court ruling brings an end to a legal dispute lasting nearly seven years, after the Palestinian Rajabi family said its four-storey building had been taken over by Israeli settlers. Israeli sett Read more on this news related to 'Settler'