Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Settler'
- a person who settles in a new colony or moves into new country [syn: colonist]
- a negotiator who settles disputes
- a clerk in a betting shop who calculates the winnings
- Settler \Set"tler\, n.
- One who settles, becomes fixed, established, etc.
- Especially, one who establishes himself in a new region or a colony; a colonist; a planter; as, the first settlers of New England.
- That which settles or finishes; hence, a blow, etc., which settles or decides a contest. [Colloq.]
- A vessel, as a tub, in which something, as pulverized ore suspended in a liquid, is allowed to settle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Settler'
A settler is a person who has migrated to an area and established permanent residence there, often to colonize the area. Settlers are generally people who take up residence on land and cultivate it, as opposed to nomads. Settlers are sometimes termed "colonists" or "colonials" and—in the United States -- "pioneers".
The term settler is not usually used in relation to the later histories of well-established and/or independent, post-colonial countries with continuing immigration, like the present-day United States, Canada or Australia, where terms like immigrants are preferred. However, Canadian First Nations people often refer to all non-natives as "settler peoples", or "settler populations".
In almost every real historical case, settlers live on land which previously belonged to long-established peoples, known as indigenous people (often called "natives", "Aborigines" or, in the Americas, "Indians"). This land is usually settled against the wishes of the indigenes, and then controlled, defended and expanded by force, or it is bought or leased from indigenous people on terms highly favourable to the settlers, sometimes under a treaty (e.g. the Treaty of Waitangi in New Zealand). In some cases (such as Australia), the legal ownership of some lands is contested much later by indigenous people, who seek or claim traditional usage, land rights, native title and related forms of ownership or partial control.[See more about Settler at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Settler'
Settler Sample Sentences in News
- The Ensemble Theatre Presents The Old Settler
HOUSTON -- Read more on this news related to 'Settler'
- Netanyahu orders crackdown on pro-settler vandals
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday ordered a crackdown on pro-settler activists accused of assaulting Israeli troops at a Jewish enclave in the occupied West Bank. Following news reports that settlers had thrown stones at reservist troops, slashed their tents, spilled kerosene and overturned equipment at a Jewish enclave near Nablus, Netanyahu de Read more on this news related to 'Settler'
- Israel reissues tenders for E. Jerusalem settler homes: NGO
Israel reissued Tuesday a call for tenders for settler homes in annexed east Jerusalem in a move said likely to hike tensions as Washington struggles to salvage crisis-hit peace talks, an NGO said. Peace Now's Hagit Ofran, confirming the tenders were for 708 homes in Gilo, a settlement neighbourhood of Arab east Jerusalem, saying "the ministry of housing Read more on this news related to 'Settler'