Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sensual'
- of the appetites and passions of the body; "animal instincts"; "carnal knowledge"; "fleshly desire"; "a sensual delight in eating"; "music is the only sensual pleasure without vice" [syn: animal(a), carnal, fleshly]
- sexually exciting or gratifying; "sensual excesses"; "a sultry look"; "a sultry dance" [syn: sultry]
- Sensual \Sen"su*al\, a. [L. sensualis, from sensus sense: cf. F.
- Pertaining to, consisting in, or affecting, the sense, or bodily organs of perception; relating to, or concerning, the body, in distinction from the spirit. Pleasing and sensual rites and ceremonies. --Bacon. Far as creation's ample range extends, The scale of sensual, mental powers ascends. --Pope.
- Hence, not spiritual or intellectual; carnal; fleshly; pertaining to, or consisting in, the gratification of the senses, or the indulgence of appetites; wordly. These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit. --Jude 19. The greatest part of men are such as prefer . . . that good which is sensual before whatsoever is most divine. --Hooker.
- Devoted to the pleasures of sense and appetite; luxurious; voluptuous; lewd; libidinous. No small part of virtue consists in abstaining from that wherein sensual men place their felicity. --Atterbury.
- Pertaining or peculiar to the philosophical doctrine of sensualism.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sensual'
Senses are the physiological capacities within organisms that provide inputs for perception. The senses and their operation, classification, and theory are overlapping topics studied by a variety of fields, most notably neuroscience, cognitive psychology (or cognitive science), and philosophy of perception. The nervous system has a specific sensory system or organ, dedicated to each sense.
There is no firm agreement among neurologists as to the number of senses because of differing definitions of what constitutes a sense. One definition states that an exteroceptive sense is a faculty by which outside stimuli are perceived. The human olfactory system contains about 10,000,000 olfactory receptors., and six more if interoceptive senses (see other internal senses below) are also considered.[See more about Sensual at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Sensual'
'Sensual' in famous quotation sentence
* In youth the human body drew me and was the object of my secret and natural dreams. But body after body has taken away from me that sensual phosphorescence which my youth delighted in. Within me is no disturbing interplay now, but only the steady currents of adaptation and of sympathy. - Haniel Long
Click here for more related quotations on 'Sensual'
Sensual Sample Sentences in News
- Devendra Banhart review a generous set delivered with sensual charm
The Prince Bandroom, Melbourne Though bedevilled by poor sound quality, by the end of the concert the singer had created an elated kind of intimacy Continue reading... Read more on this news related to 'Sensual'
- Chefs Week: Giada De Laurentiis talks ‘sensual’ food; Jose Andres; Rick Sandoval
“I want to create something more sensual. I want something more feminine. Each one has to say Giada. For every dish we serve, people need to look at it and say, ‘That’s a Giada dish. You can only get it at her Las Vegas restaurant,’” the TV star chef said. Read more on this news related to 'Sensual'
- Sue Wong’s Fall 2014 Collection Celebrates “Edwardian Romance”
Internationally renowned designer SUE WONG celebrated the hypnotically-sensual “Edwardian Romance” with the unveiling of her Fall 2014 Collection. (PRWeb April 15, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/04/prweb11763904.htm Read more on this news related to 'Sensual'