Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Self-sufficient'
adj : able to provide for your own needs without help from others;
"a self-sufficing economic unit" [syn: self-sufficing,
- Self-sufficient \Self`-suf*fi"cient\, a.
- Sufficient for one's self without external aid or co["o]peration. Neglect of friends can never be proved rational till we prove the person using it omnipotent and self-sufficient, and such as can never need any mortal assistance. --South.
- Having an overweening confidence in one's own abilities or worth; hence, haughty; overbearing. ``A rash and self-sufficient manner.'' --I. Watts.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Self-sufficient'
Self-sufficiency refers to the state of not requiring any outside aid, support, or interaction, for survival; it is therefore a type of personal or collective autonomy. On a large scale, a totally self-sufficient economy that does not trade with the outside world is called an autarky.
The term self-sufficiency is usually applied to varieties of sustainable living in which nothing is consumed outside of what is produced by the self-sufficient individuals. Examples of attempts at self-sufficiency in North America include voluntary simplicity, homesteading, survivalism, and the back-to-the-land movement.
According to Michael Allaby and Peter Bunyard, “there is nothing really new in the search of “self-sufficiency”. The pioneers who first colonized the New World, Australia, and parts of Africa were self-sufficient because they had to be and, in this context, the term suggests a kind of rugged independence associated with mastering a new and rather hostile environment.”[See more about Self-sufficient at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Self-sufficient'
Self-sufficient Sample Sentences in News
- Gov't allocates rice production targets to regions
Mr. Kofi Humado, Minister of Food and Agriculture have announced that government has allocated rice production targets to all regions in the country to become self-sufficient by 2017. Read more on this news related to 'Self-sufficient'
- CWB acquires Prairie West Terminal
The CWB (formerly Canadian Wheat Board) is charging ahead with its plan to have assets and business in place to be self-sufficient by August 2017 by acquiring a Saskatchewan elevator company. CWB has agreed to pay $43.2 million for Prairie West Terminal Ltd., a west-central Saskatchewan company Read more on this news related to 'Self-sufficient'
- More Americans see middle class status slipping
A sense of belonging to the middle class occupies a cherished place in America. It conjures images of self-sufficient people with stable jobs and pleasant homes working toward prosperity. Yet nearly five ... Read more on this news related to 'Self-sufficient'