Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Self-sufficient'
adj : able to provide for your own needs without help from others;
"a self-sufficing economic unit" [syn: self-sufficing,
- Self-sufficient \Self`-suf*fi"cient\, a.
- Sufficient for one's self without external aid or co["o]peration. Neglect of friends can never be proved rational till we prove the person using it omnipotent and self-sufficient, and such as can never need any mortal assistance. --South.
- Having an overweening confidence in one's own abilities or worth; hence, haughty; overbearing. ``A rash and self-sufficient manner.'' --I. Watts.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Self-sufficient'
Self-sufficiency refers to the state of not requiring any outside aid, support, or interaction, for survival; it is therefore a type of personal or collective autonomy. On a large scale, a totally self-sufficient economy that does not trade with the outside world is called an autarky.
The term self-sufficiency is usually applied to varieties of sustainable living in which nothing is consumed outside of what is produced by the self-sufficient individuals. Examples of attempts at self-sufficiency in North America include voluntary simplicity, homesteading, survivalism, and the back-to-the-land movement.
According to Michael Allaby and Peter Bunyard, “there is nothing really new in the search of “self-sufficiency”. The pioneers who first colonized the New World, Australia, and parts of Africa were self-sufficient because they had to be and, in this context, the term suggests a kind of rugged independence associated with mastering a new and rather hostile environment.”[See more about Self-sufficient at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Self-sufficient'
Self-sufficient Sample Sentences in News
- Albania: Self-sufficient future for hungry families
The lives of hungry families in Albania are being transformed thanks to simple packets of vegetable seeds. Read more on this news related to 'Self-sufficient'
- Brazil's fuel self-sufficiency hinges on price hikes -Petrobras
Brazil could become self-sufficient in gasoline, diesel and other fuels by 2020 if state-run oil company Petrobras is allowed to bring domestic fuel prices in line with world prices that will help fund new refineries, company executives said on Wednesday. Current Petrobras refining capacity is about 2 million bpd and insufficient to meet rising domestic demand, a Read more on this news related to 'Self-sufficient'
- Pathway to independence: Program help participants become self-sufficient, improve lives
Rachel Ben-Ismail is quickly learning what goes into home ownership, whether it's figuring out why the heat hasn't kicked in or putting together a landscape plan. Read more on this news related to 'Self-sufficient'