Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Self-esteem'
- a feeling of pride in yourself [syn: self-pride]
- the quality of being worthy of esteem or respect; "it was beneath his dignity to cheat"; "showed his true dignity when under pressure" [syn: dignity, self-respect, self-regard]
- Self-esteem \Self`-es*teem"\, n.
The holding a good opinion of one's self; self-complacency.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Self-esteem'
Self-esteem is a term used in psychology to reflect a person's overall evaluation or appraisal of his or her own worth. Self-esteem encompasses beliefs (for example, "I am competent") and emotions such as triumph, despair, pride and shame. Self-esteem can apply specifically to a particular dimension (for example, "I believe I am a good writer, and feel proud of that in particular") or have global extent (for example, "I believe I am a bad person, and feel bad of myself in general").
Psychologists usually regard self-esteem as an enduring personality characteristic ("trait" self-esteem), though normal, short-term variations ("state" self-esteem) also exist.
Synonyms or near-synonyms of self-esteem include:
Self-esteem is distinct from self-confidence and self-efficacy, which involve beliefs about ability and future performance.[See more about Self-esteem at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Self-esteem'
'Self-esteem' in famous quotation sentence
* I think high self-esteem is overrated. A little low self-esteem is actually quite goodMaybe you're not the best, so you should work a little harder. - Jay Leno
* Parents need to fill a child's bucket of self-esteem so high that the rest of the world can't poke enough holes in it to drain it dry. - Alvin Price
Click here for more related quotations on 'Self-esteem'
Self-esteem Sample Sentences in News
- Does Self-Esteem Affect Seniors' Health?
Title: Does Self-Esteem Affect Seniors' Health? Category: Health News Created: 3/17/2014 5:36:00 PM Last Editorial Review: 3/18/2014 12:00:00 AM Read more on this news related to 'Self-esteem'
- Looking beyond kids' gung-ho spirit
IN most bookshops are rows and rows dedicated to your belief in yourself. Books on how to raise your self-esteem, rise from the pits and push yourself thrustingly, self-confidently up the ladder. High esteemed people of the world unite, push your way through the crowd now and take your cake. Read more on this news related to 'Self-esteem'
- Does Facebook make women feel bad about their bodies?
Too much time on Facebook may take a toll on a young woman's sense of self-esteem, particularly how she feels about her body, a new study suggests. Read more on this news related to 'Self-esteem'