See Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- the seat within a bishop''s diocese where his cathedral is located
- perceive (an idea or situation) mentally; "Now I see!"; "I just can''t see your point"; "Does she realize how important this decision is?"; "I don''t understand the idea"
- get to know or become aware of, usually accidentally; "I learned that she has two grown-up children"; "I see that you have been promoted"
- make sense of; assign a meaning to; "What message do you see in this letter?"; "How do you interpret his behavior?"
- be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something; "He verified that the valves were closed"; "See that the curtains are closed"; "control the quality of the product"
- deem to be; "She views this quite differently from me"; "I consider her to be shallow"; "I don''t see the situation quite as negatively as you do"
- deliberate or decide; "See whether you can come tomorrow"; "let''s see--which movie should we see tonight?"
- find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort; "I want to see whether she speaks French"; "See whether it works"; "find out if he speaks Russian"; "Check whether the train leaves on time"
- match or meet; "I saw the bet of one of my fellow players"
- receive as a specified guest; "the doctor will see you now"; "The minister doesn''t see anybody before noon"
- imagine; conceive of; see in one''s mind; "I can''t see him on horseback!"; "I can see what will happen"; "I can see a risk in this strategy"
- come together; "I''ll probably see you at the meeting"; "How nice to see you again!"
- accompany or escort; "I''ll see you to the door"
- go or live through; "We had many trials to go through"; "he saw action in Viet Nam"
- perceive or be contemporaneous with; "We found Republicans winning the offices"; "You''ll see a lot of cheating in this school"; "I want to see results"; "The 1960 saw the rebellion of the younger generation against established traditions"; "I want to see
- perceive by sight or have the power to perceive by sight; "You have to be a good observer to see all the details"; "Can you see the bird in that tree?"; "He is blind--he cannot see"
- see and understand, have a good eye; "The artist must first learn to see"
- observe, check out, and look over carefully or inspect; "The customs agent examined the baggage"; "I must see your passport before you can enter the country"
- see or watch; "view a show on television"; "This program will be seen all over the world"; "view an exhibition"; "Catch a show on Broadway"; "see a movie"
- observe as if with an eye; "The camera saw the burglary and recorded it"
- date regularly; have a steady relationship with; "Did you know that she is seeing an older man?"; "He is dating his former wife again!"
- go to see for professional or business reasons; "You should see a lawyer"; "We had to see a psychiatrist"
- go to see for a social visit; "I went to see my friend Mary the other day"
- visit a place, as for entertainment; "We went to see the Eiffel Tower in the morning"
- take charge of or deal with; "Could you see about lunch?"; "I must attend to this matter"; "She took care of this business"
- compare (used in texts to point the reader to another location in the text)
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the seat within a bishop's diocese where his cathedral is located
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'See'?
See Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Sight is one of the senses. Having sight means to be able to see. Seeing gives animals knowledge of the world. Some simple animals can only tell light from dark, but with vertebrates, the visual system is able to form images.
Light enters the animal's eyes, and a part of the eye called the lens sends information from the light to the back part of the eye called the retina. The retina is composed of light-sensitive cells which fire a signal down the optic nerve when light hits the cell. The optic nerve is a bundle of nerve fibres from all over the retina.
When the information from the light leaves the retina, it goes to the brain. It travels along the optic chiasma until it reaches the optic cortex at the rear of the brain. The information is then processed to find out the shapes and colours of objects. From that and from memory, it can tell of what kind the object is. For example, it can somehow tell a tree from a house. The path on which this kind of information flows is called ventral stream.
Words and phrases related to 'See'
'See' example sentence in quotations
* We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
* The more sand that has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it. - Jean Paul
Click here for more related quotations on 'See'
See Sample Sentences in News
- Turkey's Erdogan says wants to see more power in hands of president
Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan said he wanted to see the powers of the presidency boosted, adding that he expected his ruling AK Party to propose a new constitution after parliamentary polls in 2015. Erdogan is hoping to become Turkey's first directly elected president in a vote on Aug 10 and has made little secret of his desire to see the largely cerem Read more on this news related to 'See'
- Publicis, Omnicom See Mixed Results After Merger Flop
After advertising giants Publicis and Omnicom called off their merger this spring, investors were watching to see how the two fared in earnings Tuesday. Publicis missed estimates, yet Omnicom reported strong growth. Read more on this news related to 'See'
- Photos: See How Families Break Their Ramadan Fast
See How Families Break Their Ramadan Fast Read more on this news related to 'See'