Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sclerotic'
Sclerotic Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- relating to or having sclerosis; hardened; "a sclerotic patient" [syn: sclerosed]
- of or relating to the sclera of the eyeball; "sclerotic tissue"
- Sclerotic \Scle*rot"ic\, a. [Gr. sklhro`s hard: cf. F.
- Hard; firm; indurated; -- applied especially in anatomy to the firm outer coat of the eyeball, which is often cartilaginous and sometimes bony.
- (Anat.) Of or pertaining to the sclerotic coat of the eye; sclerotical.
- (Med.) Affected with sclerosis; sclerosed. Sclerotic parenchyma (Bot.), sclerenchyma. By some writers a distinction is made, sclerotic parenchyma being applied to tissue composed of cells with the walls hardened but not thickened, and sclerenchyma to tissue composed of cells with the walls both hardened and thickened.
- Sclerotic \Scle*rot"ic\, n. [Cf. F. scl['e]rotique.] (Anat.)
The sclerotic coat of the eye. See Illust. of Eye
- Sclerotic \Scle*rot"ic\, a. (Chem.)
Pertaining to, or designating, an acid obtained from ergot or
the sclerotium of a fungus growing on rye.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sclerotic'
- Sclerotic ring: Sclerotic rings are rings of bone found in the eye s of several groups of vertebrate animals, except for mammal s and crocodilia ns They ...
- Sclerotic fibroma: Sclerotic fibromas are a cutaneous condition characterized by well-circumscribed, dome-shaped, dermal hypocellular nodules composed ...