Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sclerotic'
Sclerotic Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- relating to or having sclerosis; hardened; "a sclerotic patient" [syn: sclerosed]
- of or relating to the sclera of the eyeball; "sclerotic tissue"
- Sclerotic \Scle*rot"ic\, a. [Gr. sklhro`s hard: cf. F.
- Hard; firm; indurated; -- applied especially in anatomy to the firm outer coat of the eyeball, which is often cartilaginous and sometimes bony.
- (Anat.) Of or pertaining to the sclerotic coat of the eye; sclerotical.
- (Med.) Affected with sclerosis; sclerosed. Sclerotic parenchyma (Bot.), sclerenchyma. By some writers a distinction is made, sclerotic parenchyma being applied to tissue composed of cells with the walls hardened but not thickened, and sclerenchyma to tissue composed of cells with the walls both hardened and thickened.
- Sclerotic \Scle*rot"ic\, n. [Cf. F. scl['e]rotique.] (Anat.)
The sclerotic coat of the eye. See Illust. of Eye
- Sclerotic \Scle*rot"ic\, a. (Chem.)
Pertaining to, or designating, an acid obtained from ergot or
the sclerotium of a fungus growing on rye.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sclerotic'
- Sclerotic ring: Sclerotic rings are rings of bone found in the eye s of several groups of vertebrate animals, except for mammal s and crocodilia ns They ...
- Sclerotic fibroma: Sclerotic fibromas are a cutaneous condition characterized by well-circumscribed, dome-shaped, dermal hypocellular nodules composed ...
Words and phrases related to 'Sclerotic'
Sclerotic Sample Sentences in News
- 'Do not fear EU exit' says Johnson
Life outside the "sclerotic" European Union is an "attractive" option for Britain, Boris Johnson will say today. Read more on this news related to 'Sclerotic'
- Boris: Life outside
London mayor Boris Johnson will say that life outside the "sclerotic" European Union is an "attractive" option for Britain. London mayor Boris Johnson. Read more on this news related to 'Sclerotic'
- Africa: Innovating for Refugees
[IRIN]London -Alexander Aleinikoff, deputy high commissioner for refugees at the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), is frank about the challenge of innovating within what he refers to as "stodgy and sclerotic" UN organizations. He says: "I have not been to one of our operations where people aren't doing really new and interesting things; they just don Read more on this news related to 'Sclerotic'