Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sartorial'
- of or relating to the sartorius muscle
- of or relating to a tailor or to tailoring
- Sartorial \Sar*to"ri*al\, a. [See Sartorius.]
- Of or pertaining to a tailor or his work. Our legs skulked under the table as free from sartorial impertinences as those of the noblest savages. --Lowell.
- (Anat.) Of or pertaining to the sartorius muscle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sartorial'
A tailor is a person who makes, repairs, or alters clothing professionally, especially suits and men's clothing.
Although the term dates to the thirteenth century, tailor took on its modern sense in the late eighteenth century, and now refers to makers of men's and women's suits, coats, trousers, and similar garments, usually of wool, linen, or silk.
The term refers to a set of specific hand and machine sewing and pressing techniques that are unique to the construction of traditional jackets. Retailers of tailored suits often take their services internationally, traveling to various cities, allowing the client to be measured locally.
Traditional tailoring is called bespoke tailoring in the United Kingdom, where the heart of the trade is in London's Savile Row, and custom tailoring in the United States and Hong Kong. This is unlike made to measure which uses pre-existing patterns. A bespoke garment or suit is completely original and unique to each customer.[See more about Sartorial at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Sartorial'
Sartorial Sample Sentences in News
- Sartorial scuffle: Men's Wearhouse bids to buy Jos. A. Bank for $1.5B
Men's Wearhouse is turning the tables on its recent pursuer, offering to buy Jos. A. Bank for about $1.54 billion. The offer comes less than two weeks after Jos. A. Bank withdrew a $2.3 billion bid for its rival. Men's Wearhouse Inc. is offering $55 per share for Jos. A. Bank Clothiers Inc. Read more on this news related to 'Sartorial'
- Wedding Guest Dresses: 100 Beautiful Buys
Wedding guest dresses can be a sartorial nightmare, time and time again. You want a stylish dress that suits your figure, feels comfortable enough to wear all day and bags you quality compliments. Read more on this news related to 'Sartorial'
- The Carpetbagger: Clothes and Character: ‘12 Years a Slave’
The costume designer for “12 Years a Slave” explains the thought process that went into that film’s sartorial looks. Read more on this news related to 'Sartorial'