Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sanguine'
- confidently optimistic and cheerful
- inclined to a healthy reddish color often associated with outdoor life; "a ruddy complexion"; "Santa's rubicund cheeks"; "a fresh and sanguine complexion" [syn: rubicund, ruddy]
- Sanguine \San"guine\, v. t.
To stain with blood; to impart the color of blood to; to
- Sanguine \San"guine\, a. [F. sanguin, L. sanguineus, fr. sanguis
blood. Cf. Sanguineous.]
- Having the color of blood; red. Of his complexion he was sanguine. --Chaucer. Like to that sanguine flower inscribed with woe. --Milton.
- Characterized by abundance and active circulation of blood; as, a sanguine bodily temperament.
- Warm; ardent; as, a sanguine temper.
- Anticipating the best; not desponding; confident; full of hope; as, sanguine of success. Syn: Warm; ardent; lively; confident; hopeful.
- Sanguine \San"guine\, n.
- Blood color; red. --Spenser.
- Anything of a blood-red color, as cloth. [Obs.] In sanguine and in pes he clad was all. --Chaucer.
- (Min.) Bloodstone.
- Red crayon. See the Note under Crayon, 1.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sanguine'
Sanguine refers to a reddish, often tending to brown, color of chalk used in drawing. The word may also refer to a drawing done in sanguine.
Sanguine lends itself naturally to sketches, life drawings, and rustic scenes. It is ideal for rendering modeling and volume. In the form of wood-cased pencils or manufactured sticks, sanguine may be used similarly to charcoal or pastel. As with pastel, a mid-toned paper may be put to good use. A fixative is often applied to preserve the finished state of the drawing.[See more about Sanguine at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Sanguine'
Sanguine Sample Sentences in News
- Raiffeisen Sanguine on Russian Sanctions Impact as European Stocks Rise
European stock indices rise as minutes from the Federal Reserve’s last rate-setting meeting quell nervousness about the monetary outlook and European economic data also points to sustained low rates. Read more on this news related to 'Sanguine'
- Editorial: The wrong way to achieve political accommodation in Afghanistan
WHEN PRESIDENT Obama announced in 2011 the withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Iraq, he was sanguine about that nation?s future. U.S. soldiers could be ?proud of their success,? he said, and he was ?co... Read more on this news related to 'Sanguine'
- Close Talker Spin Plush Pop With the Yearning 'Burnstick'
Close Talker pair their rigid yet sanguine melodies with achingly euphoric lyricism. The Saskatoon quartet's latest track, "Burnstick," displays their wistful longing for the past with the opening verse, "Remembering the old days / Sitting there in silence / Hoping we can live it again... Read more on this news related to 'Sanguine'