Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Sagged'
Sagged Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a shape that sags; "there was a sag in the chair seat" [syn:
- droop, sink, or settle from or as if from pressure or loss of tautness [syn: droop, swag, flag]
- cause to sag; "The children sagged their bottoms down even more comfortably" [syn: sag down] [also: sagging, sagged]
- Sag \Sag\ (s[a^]g), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Sagged; p. pr. & vb.
n. Sagging.] [Akin to Sw. sacka to settle, sink down, LG.
sacken, D. zakken. Cf. Sink, v. i.]
- To sink, in the middle, by its weight or under applied pressure, below a horizontal line or plane; as, a line or cable supported by its ends sags, though tightly drawn; the floor of a room sags; hence, to lean, give way, or settle from a vertical position; as, a building may sag one way or another; a door sags on its hinges.
- Fig.: To lose firmness or elasticity; to sink; to droop; to flag; to bend; to yield, as the mind or spirits, under the pressure of care, trouble, doubt, or the like; to be unsettled or unbalanced. [R.] The mind I sway by, and the heart I bear, Shall never sag with doubt nor shake with fear. --Shak.
- To loiter in walking; to idle along; to drag or droop heavily. To sag to leeward (Naut.), to make much leeway by reason of the wind, sea, or current; to drift to leeward; -- said of a vessel. --Totten.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Sagged'
Words and phrases related to 'Sagged'
Sagged Sample Sentences in News
- China's export growth accelerates, imports sag
BEIJING (AP) — China's export growth accelerated in July but imports sagged in a possible sign of weakness in the world's second-largest economy. Read more on this news related to 'Sagged'
- TSE DATA & REPORT
Stocks skidded lower Friday, dampened by weak U.S. equities and index futures-led selling. The Nikkei 225 average closed down 35.27 points, or 0.23 percent, to close at 15,424.59 on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. On Thursday, the key market gauge sagged 74.96 points. The Topix ... Read more on this news related to 'Sagged'
- German ZEW confidence index sags on Ukraine fears
FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — Germany's ZEW indicator of confidence among professional investment analysts sagged to a 20-month low in August. Read more on this news related to 'Sagged'