Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Rustling'
adj : characterized by soft sounds; "a murmurous brook"; "a
soughing wind in the pines"; "a slow sad susurrous
rustle like the wind fingering the pines"- R.P.Warren
[syn: murmurous, soughing, susurrous]
- the stealing of cattle
- the light noise like the noise of silk clothing or leaves blowing in the wind [syn: rustle, whisper, whispering]
- Rustle \Rus"tle\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Rustled; p. pr. & vb. n.
Rustling.] [AS. hristlan to rustle; or cf. Sw. rusta to
stir, make a riot, or E. rush, v.]
- To make a quick succession of small sounds, like the rubbing or moving of silk cloth or dry leaves. He is coming; I hear his straw rustle. --Shak. Prouder than rustling in unpaid-for silk. --Shak.
- To stir about energetically; to strive to succeed; to bustle about. [Slang, Western U.S.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Rustling'
Cattle raiding is the act of stealing livestock. In Australia, such stealing is often referred to as duffing, and the person as a duffer. In North America, especially in cowboy culture, cattle theft is dubbed rustling and an individual who engages in it is a rustler.
Historically the act of cattle rustling is quite ancient with the first suspected raids conducted over seven thousand years ago.
Cattle raids play an important part in Indo-European mythology, see for example Táin Bó Cúailnge (Irish), the Rigvedic Panis (India), and the Homeric Hymn to Hermes, who steals the cows of Apollo (Greece). These myths are often paired with myths of the abduction of women (compare Helen, Sita, Saranyu, The Rape of the Sabine Women). Abduction of women and theft of lifestock were practiced in many of the world's pre-urbanised cultures, the former likely reaching back to the Paleolithic, and the latter to the earliest domestication of animals in the Neolithic.[See more about Rustling at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Rustling'
'Rustling' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Rustling'
Rustling Sample Sentences in News
- Tortoise rustling leads to drastic measures to prevent animals going extinct
Tortoise rustling leads to drastic measures to prevent the animals being driven out of existence Read more on this news related to 'Rustling'
- Cattle rustling fear over illegal site - Video
The discovery of a suspected illegal animal slaughterhouse in south Armagh has raised further concerns that stolen cattle could be involved in illicit food processing operations. - Video available Read more on this news related to 'Rustling'
- Drew Sharp: With no trades made, Drummond should be Pistons' focus
That rustling emanating from Auburn Hills as Thursday's 3 p.m. trading deadline passed was the flapping of the proverbial lame duck. Read more on this news related to 'Rustling'