Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Root'
- (botany) the usually underground organ that lacks buds or leaves or nodes; absorbs water and mineral salts; usually it anchors the plant to the ground
- (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed; "thematic vowels are part of the stem" [syn: root word, base, stem, theme, radical]
- the place where something begins, where it springs into being; "the Italian beginning of the Renaissance"; "Jupiter was the origin of the radiation"; "Pittsburgh is the source of the Ohio River"; "communism's Russian root" [syn: beginning, origin, rootage, source]
- a number that when multiplied by itself some number of times equals a given number
- the set of values that give a true statement when substituted into an equation [syn: solution]
- someone from whom you are descended (but usually more remote than a grandparent) [syn: ancestor, ascendant, ascendent, antecedent] [ant: descendant]
- a simple form inferred as the common basis from which related words in several languages can be derived by linguistic processes [syn: etymon]
- the part of a tooth that is embedded in the jaw and serves as support [syn: tooth root] v
- take root and begin to grow; "this plant roots quickly"
- come into existence, originate; "The problem roots in her depression"
- plant by the roots
- dig with the snout; "the pig was rooting for truffles" [syn: rout, rootle]
- take sides with; align oneself with; show strong sympathy for; "We all rooted for the home team"; "I'm pulling for the underdog"; "Are you siding with the defender of the title?" [syn: side, pull]
- become settled or established and stable in one's residence
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Root'
In vascular plants, the root is the organ of a plant that typically lies below the surface of the soil. This is not always the case, however, since a root can also be aerial (growing above the ground) or aerating (growing up above the ground or especially above water). Furthermore, a stem normally occurring below ground is not exceptional either (see rhizome). So, it is better to define root as a part of a plant body that bears no leaves, and therefore also lacks nodes. There are also important internal structural differences between stems and roots.
The first root that comes from a plant is called the radicle. The three major functions of roots are 1) absorption of water and inorganic nutrients, 2) anchoring of the plant body to the ground and 3) storage of food and nutrients. In response to the concentration of nutrients, roots also synthesise cytokinin, which acts as a signal as to how fast the shoots can grow. Roots often function in storage of food and nutrients. The roots of most vascular plant species enter into symbiosis with certain fungi to form mycorrhizas, and a large range of other organisms including bacteria also closely associate with roots.[See more about Root at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Root'
'Root' in famous quotation sentence
* All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, till they take root in our personal experience. - Johann von Goethe
* Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good. - Kierkegaard
Click here for more related quotations on 'Root'
Root Sample Sentences in News
- Root Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 SM-T320 on Android 4.4 KitKat
The CF-Auto-Root package by XDA developer, Chainfire, adds support for Samsung's newly launched Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (Wi-Fi) with model number SM-T320. The CF-Auto-Root, which is the safest and easiest root method, allows users to root their tablets without any difficulty. Read more on this news related to 'Root'
- Injured Root out of England tour
Joe Root will miss England's Twenty20 matches against West Indies after breaking his thumb in the last one-day international. Read more on this news related to 'Root'
- Cricket-Root doubtful for World T20 with thumb injury
(Adds last para) March 6 (Reuters) - England batsman Joe Root is a major doubt for the World Twenty20 tournament this month after fracturing his thumb during England's one-day series clincher in the West Indies. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said Root was returning home from the Caribbean. "Joe Root has a fractured thumb and is returning home Read more on this news related to 'Root'