Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Roasted'
adj : (of meat) cooked by dry heat in an oven [syn: roast]
- Roast \Roast\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Roasted; p. pr. & vb. n.
Roasting.] [OE. rosten, OF. rostir, F. r[^o]tir; of German
origin; cf. OHG. r[=o]sten, G. r["o]sten, fr. OHG. r[=o]st,
r[=o]sta, gridiron, G. rost; cf. AS. hyrstan to roast.]
- To cook by exposure to radiant heat before a fire; as, to roast meat on a spit, or in an oven open toward the fire and having reflecting surfaces within; also, to cook in a close oven.
- To cook by surrounding with hot embers, ashes, sand, etc.; as, to roast a potato in ashes. In eggs boiled and roasted there is scarce difference to be discerned. --BAcon.
- To dry and parch by exposure to heat; as, to roast coffee; to roast chestnuts, or peanuts.
- Hence, to heat to excess; to heat violently; to burn. ``Roasted in wrath and fire.'' --Shak.
- (Metal.) To dissipate by heat the volatile parts of, as ores.
- To banter severely. [Colloq.] --Atterbury.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Roasted'
Roasting is a cooking method that uses dry heat, whether an open flame, oven, or other heat source. Roasting usually causes caramelization or Maillard browning of the surface of the food, which is considered a flavor enhancement. Meats and most root and bulb vegetables can be roasted. Any piece of meat, especially red meat, that has been cooked in this fashion is called a roast. In addition, large uncooked cuts of meat are referred to as roasts. Roasting is a much slower method of cooking. A roast joint of meat can take one, two, even three hours to cook - the resulting meat is tender. Also, meats and vegetables prepared in this way are described as "roasted", e.g., roasted chicken or roasted squash.
For roasting, the food may be placed on a rack, in a roasting pan or, to ensure even application of heat, may be rotated on a spit or rotisserie. During oven roasting, hot air circulates around the meat, cooking all sides evenly. There are several theories for roasting meats correctly: low-temperature cooking, high-temperature cooking, and a combination of both. Each method can be suitable under appropriate circumstances.[See more about Roasted at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]