Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Roasted'
adj : (of meat) cooked by dry heat in an oven [syn: roast]
- Roast \Roast\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Roasted; p. pr. & vb. n.
Roasting.] [OE. rosten, OF. rostir, F. r[^o]tir; of German
origin; cf. OHG. r[=o]sten, G. r["o]sten, fr. OHG. r[=o]st,
r[=o]sta, gridiron, G. rost; cf. AS. hyrstan to roast.]
- To cook by exposure to radiant heat before a fire; as, to roast meat on a spit, or in an oven open toward the fire and having reflecting surfaces within; also, to cook in a close oven.
- To cook by surrounding with hot embers, ashes, sand, etc.; as, to roast a potato in ashes. In eggs boiled and roasted there is scarce difference to be discerned. --BAcon.
- To dry and parch by exposure to heat; as, to roast coffee; to roast chestnuts, or peanuts.
- Hence, to heat to excess; to heat violently; to burn. ``Roasted in wrath and fire.'' --Shak.
- (Metal.) To dissipate by heat the volatile parts of, as ores.
- To banter severely. [Colloq.] --Atterbury.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Roasted'
Roasting is a cooking method that uses dry heat, whether an open flame, oven, or other heat source. Roasting usually causes caramelization or Maillard browning of the surface of the food, which is considered a flavor enhancement. Meats and most root and bulb vegetables can be roasted. Any piece of meat, especially red meat, that has been cooked in this fashion is called a roast. In addition, large uncooked cuts of meat are referred to as roasts. Roasting is a much slower method of cooking. A roast joint of meat can take one, two, even three hours to cook - the resulting meat is tender. Also, meats and vegetables prepared in this way are described as "roasted", e.g., roasted chicken or roasted squash.
For roasting, the food may be placed on a rack, in a roasting pan or, to ensure even application of heat, may be rotated on a spit or rotisserie. During oven roasting, hot air circulates around the meat, cooking all sides evenly. There are several theories for roasting meats correctly: low-temperature cooking, high-temperature cooking, and a combination of both. Each method can be suitable under appropriate circumstances.[See more about Roasted at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Roasted'
Roasted Sample Sentences in News
- Salty sweet roasted cabbage
When tossed with coconut oil, soy sauce, and maple syrup, roasted cabbage has a natural sweetness and a mellow flavor. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan, this recipe will work in almost any situation. Read more on this news related to 'Roasted'
- Luscious roasted chicken in L.A.: Superba, Vincenti, Pollo a la Brasa
At open-air markets, especially in the Mediterranean, the smell of rotisserie-roasted birds wafts over the entire market, goading you into following that scent right to the source. Take it home, eat it right there — you have to have it. In the city, we're lucky enough to have some chefs and... Read more on this news related to 'Roasted'
- Eight puppies found dumped in rubbish bin on UK's hottest day of year nearly 'roasted alive'
Eight puppies nearly 'roasted alive' after they were dumped in a bin and stuck in the middle of the road during the hottest day of the year. The terrified pups were 'panting and overheating' when they were rescued by a passing motorist who took them to the nearest rescue centre. Read more on this news related to 'Roasted'