Ridge Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a beam laid along the ridge of a roof; provides attachment for upper end of rafters
- any long raised border or margin of a bone or tooth or membrane
- a long narrow natural elevation or striation
- a long narrow range of hills
- any long raised strip
- form into a ridge
- spade into alternate ridges and troughs; "ridge the soil"
- throw soil toward (a crop row) from both sides; "He ridged his corn"
- plough alternate strips by throwing the furrow onto an unploughed strip
- extend in ridges; "The land ridges towards the South"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a long narrow natural elevation or striation ,
- any long raised strip ,
- a long narrow natural elevation on the floor of the ocean ,
- a long narrow range of hills ,
- any long raised border or margin of a bone or tooth or membrane ,
- a beam laid along the edge where two sloping sides of a roof meet at the top; provides an attachment for the upper ends of rafters
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Ridge'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ridge'
- Ridge: geography and physical geology. For other uses, see Ridge (disambiguation). A ridge is a geological feature consisting of a chain of mountains
- Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians: The Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians, also called the Ridge and Valley Province or the Valley and Ridge Appalachians, are a physiographic province of the
- Metacomet Ridge: Metacomet Ridge, Metacomet Ridge Mountains, or Metacomet Range of southern New England, United States, is a narrow and steep fault-block mountain ridge known
- Ridge Route: Castaic-Tejon Route in California. For the Ridge Route in ancient Israel, see Way of the Patriarchs. The Ridge Route, officially the Castaic-Tejon Route
- Mid-ocean ridge: A mid-ocean ridge is an underwater mountain system that consists of various mountain ranges (chains), typically having a valley known as a rift running
- Blue Ridge Mountains: The Blue Ridge Mountains are a physiographic province of the larger Appalachian Mountains range. This province consists of northern and southern physiographic
- Mid-Atlantic Ridge: The Mid-Atlantic Ridge (MAR) is a mid-ocean ridge, a divergent tectonic plate or constructive plate boundary located along the floor of the Atlantic Ocean
- Battle of Verrières Ridge: The Battle of Verrières Ridge was a series of engagements fought as part of the Battle of Normandy, in western France, during the Second World War. The
- U.S. Route 40 Alternate (Keysers Ridge–Cumberland, Maryland): of US 40 were bypassed. The part of the bypassed road between Keyser's Ridge and Cumberland became Alt US 40, and other bypassed sections east of Cumberland
- Benning Ridge: Benning Ridge is a residential neighborhood located in Southeast Washington, D.C. It is bounded by Fort Chaplin Park to the northwest, Southern Avenue
Words and phrases related to 'Ridge'
Meaning of the Name 'Ridge'
- Meaning: From the ridge
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
Ridge Sample Sentences in News
- Oak Ridge Financial Services, Inc. Announces Partial Redemption of TARP Preferred Stock
OAK RIDGE, N.C. -- Oak Ridge Financial Services, Inc. (OTCQB:BKOR) (the "Company"), the one bank holding company of Bank of Oak Ridge, Oak Ridge, North Carolina, today announced it has sent required ... Read more on this news related to 'Ridge'
- Pacific Ridge Closes First Tranche of Private Placement
THIS NEWS RELEASE, REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE CANADIAN LAWS, IS NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION TO U.S. NEWS SERVICES OR FOR DISSEMINATION IN THE UNITED STATES, AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFER OF THE SECURITIES DESCRIBED ... Read more on this news related to 'Ridge'
- Glen Ridge plans annual Ashenfelter race on Thanksgiving Day
Glen Ridge is gearing up for the 15th annual running of the Ashenfelter 8K Classic. Read more on this news related to 'Ridge'