Ridge Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a beam laid along the ridge of a roof; provides attachment for upper end of rafters
- any long raised border or margin of a bone or tooth or membrane
- a long narrow natural elevation or striation
- a long narrow range of hills
- any long raised strip
- form into a ridge
- spade into alternate ridges and troughs; "ridge the soil"
- throw soil toward (a crop row) from both sides; "He ridged his corn"
- plough alternate strips by throwing the furrow onto an unploughed strip
- extend in ridges; "The land ridges towards the South"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a long narrow natural elevation or striation ,
- any long raised strip ,
- a long narrow natural elevation on the floor of the ocean ,
- a long narrow range of hills ,
- any long raised border or margin of a bone or tooth or membrane ,
- a beam laid along the edge where two sloping sides of a roof meet at the top; provides an attachment for the upper ends of rafters
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Ridge'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ridge'
- Ridge: and geology concept. For other uses, see Ridge (disambiguation). A ridge or mountain ridge is a geological feature consisting of a chain
- Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians: The Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians, also called the Ridge and Valley Province or the Valley and Ridge Appalachians, are a physiographic province of the
- Metacomet Ridge: Metacomet Ridge, Metacomet Ridge Mountains, or Metacomet Range of southern New England, United States, is a narrow and steep fault-block mountain ridge known
- Ridge Route: Castaic-Tejon Route in California. For the Ridge Route in ancient Israel, see Way of the Patriarchs. The Ridge Route, officially the Castaic-Tejon Route
- Battle of Verrières Ridge: The Battle of Verrières Ridge was a series of engagements fought as part of the Battle of Normandy, in western France, during the Second World War. The
- Ridge Avenue (Chicago): Ridge Avenue, also called Ridge Boulevard from Devon Avenue and Howard Street is a diagonal road in Chicago and Evanston. It begins at Broadway and Bryn
- Mid-ocean ridge: coverage related to this topic, see Undersea mountain range. A mid-ocean ridge is an underwater mountain system formed by plate tectonics. It consists
- U.S. Route 40 Alternate (Keysers Ridge–Cumberland, Maryland): of US 40 were bypassed. The part of the bypassed road between Keyser's Ridge and Cumberland became Alt US 40, and other bypassed sections east of Cumberland
- Blue Ridge Mountains: The Blue Ridge Mountains are a physiographic province of the larger Appalachian Mountains range. This province consists of northern and southern physiographic
- Ridge push: Ridge push or sliding plate force is a proposed mechanism for plate motion in plate tectonics. Because mid-ocean ridges lie at a higher elevation than
Words and phrases related to 'Ridge'
Meaning of the Name 'Ridge'
- Meaning: From the ridge
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male