Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Revel'
Revel Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : unrestrained merrymaking [syn: revelry]
- take delight in; "he delights in his granddaughter" [syn: delight, enjoy]
- celebrate noisily, often indulging in drinking; engage in uproarious festivities; "The members of the wedding party made merry all night"; "Let's whoop it up--the boss is gone!" [syn: racket, make whoopie, make merry, make happy, whoop it up, jollify, wassail] [also: revelling, revelled]
- Revel \Rev"el\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Reveledor Revelled; p.
pr. & vb. n. Reveling or Revelling.] [OF. reveler to
revolt, rebel, make merry, fr. L. rebellare. See Rebel.]
- To feast in a riotous manner; to carouse; to act the bacchanalian; to make merry. --Shak.
- To move playfully; to indulge without restraint. ``Where joy most revels.'' --Shak.
- Revel \Re*vel"\, v. t. [L. revellere; re- + vellere to pluck,
To draw back; to retract. [Obs.] --Harvey.
- Reveal \Re*veal"\, n.
- A revealing; a disclosure. [Obs.]
- (Arch.) The side of an opening for a window, doorway, or the like, between the door frame or window frame and the outer surface of the wall; or, where the opening is not filled with a door, etc., the whole thickness of the wall; the jamb. [Written also revel.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Revel'
- Revel: Revel may refer to: Places : Revel, Haute-Garonne , a commune of the Haute-Garonne department in south-western France ...
- Harry Revel: Harry Revel (21 December 1905 – 3 November 1958) was an English composer of musical theatre . Revel was born in London . Before ...
- Revel, Haute-Garonne: Revel (Revèl) is a commune of the Haute-Garonne department in south-western France . General information : Revel is a town of approximately ...
- Revel Entertainment Group: Revel Entertainment Group, LLC, commonly referred to as Revel, is a gaming and entertainment company that is presently developing a ...
- Revel (album): Revel is the first official release by the Richmond, Virginia , based Pat McGee Band . Track listing ": "Passion" 4:21" "Straight Curve" 5:27" ...
- Revel, Isère: Revel is a commune in the Isère department in south-eastern France . See also : Communes of the Isère department Category:Communes of Isère ...
- Master of the Revels: The Master of the Revels was a position within the English, and later the British, royal household heading the "Revels Office" or "Office ...
- Bernard Revel: Bernard (Dov) Revel (September 17, 1885-1940) was an Orthodox rabbi and scholar. He served as the first President of Yeshiva College ...
- Hiram Rhodes Revels: Hiram Rhodes Revels (September 27, 1827 – January 16, 1901) was the first African American to serve in the United States Senate . ...
Words and phrases related to 'Revel'
Revel Sample Sentences in News
- Revel casino worth a fraction of its cost, union says
Revel Casino Hotel in Atlantic City, built for $2.4 billion, is worth $25 million to $73 million, according to estimates by Unite Here, a hospitality workers union that represents casino workers in Atlantic City and across the country. Read more on this news related to 'Revel'
- Union: Revel casino worth $25M to $73M
The city's main casino workers' union says Revel Casino Hotel is worth between $25 million and $73 million. The casino, which is seeking a buyer, cost $2.4 billion to build. It has struggled since opening ... Read more on this news related to 'Revel'
- Revel Defines the Future of Collaboration With Industry Experts
Collaboration experts discussed how collaboration in the workplace is changing at Revel Consulting's Industry REVELations Expert Panel on March 27 at Revel's Headquarters in Kirkland, Wash. Read more on this news related to 'Revel'