Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Revel'
Revel Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : unrestrained merrymaking [syn: revelry]
- take delight in; "he delights in his granddaughter" [syn: delight, enjoy]
- celebrate noisily, often indulging in drinking; engage in uproarious festivities; "The members of the wedding party made merry all night"; "Let's whoop it up--the boss is gone!" [syn: racket, make whoopie, make merry, make happy, whoop it up, jollify, wassail] [also: revelling, revelled]
- Revel \Rev"el\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Reveledor Revelled; p.
pr. & vb. n. Reveling or Revelling.] [OF. reveler to
revolt, rebel, make merry, fr. L. rebellare. See Rebel.]
- To feast in a riotous manner; to carouse; to act the bacchanalian; to make merry. --Shak.
- To move playfully; to indulge without restraint. ``Where joy most revels.'' --Shak.
- Revel \Re*vel"\, v. t. [L. revellere; re- + vellere to pluck,
To draw back; to retract. [Obs.] --Harvey.
- Reveal \Re*veal"\, n.
- A revealing; a disclosure. [Obs.]
- (Arch.) The side of an opening for a window, doorway, or the like, between the door frame or window frame and the outer surface of the wall; or, where the opening is not filled with a door, etc., the whole thickness of the wall; the jamb. [Written also revel.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Revel'
- Revel: Revel may refer to: Places : Revel, Haute-Garonne , a commune of the Haute-Garonne department in south-western France ...
- Harry Revel: Harry Revel (21 December 1905 – 3 November 1958) was an English composer of musical theatre . Revel was born in London . Before ...
- Revel, Haute-Garonne: Revel (Revèl) is a commune of the Haute-Garonne department in south-western France . General information : Revel is a town of approximately ...
- Revel Entertainment Group: Revel Entertainment Group, LLC, commonly referred to as Revel, is a gaming and entertainment company that is presently developing a ...
- Revel (album): Revel is the first official release by the Richmond, Virginia , based Pat McGee Band . Track listing ": "Passion" 4:21" "Straight Curve" 5:27" ...
- Revel, Isère: Revel is a commune in the Isère department in south-eastern France . See also : Communes of the Isère department Category:Communes of Isère ...
- Master of the Revels: The Master of the Revels was a position within the English, and later the British, royal household heading the "Revels Office" or "Office ...
- Bernard Revel: Bernard (Dov) Revel (September 17, 1885-1940) was an Orthodox rabbi and scholar. He served as the first President of Yeshiva College ...
- Hiram Rhodes Revels: Hiram Rhodes Revels (September 27, 1827 – January 16, 1901) was the first African American to serve in the United States Senate . ...
Words and phrases related to 'Revel'