Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Revel'
Revel Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : unrestrained merrymaking [syn: revelry]
- take delight in; "he delights in his granddaughter" [syn: delight, enjoy]
- celebrate noisily, often indulging in drinking; engage in uproarious festivities; "The members of the wedding party made merry all night"; "Let's whoop it up--the boss is gone!" [syn: racket, make whoopie, make merry, make happy, whoop it up, jollify, wassail] [also: revelling, revelled]
- Revel \Rev"el\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Reveledor Revelled; p.
pr. & vb. n. Reveling or Revelling.] [OF. reveler to
revolt, rebel, make merry, fr. L. rebellare. See Rebel.]
- To feast in a riotous manner; to carouse; to act the bacchanalian; to make merry. --Shak.
- To move playfully; to indulge without restraint. ``Where joy most revels.'' --Shak.
- Revel \Re*vel"\, v. t. [L. revellere; re- + vellere to pluck,
To draw back; to retract. [Obs.] --Harvey.
- Reveal \Re*veal"\, n.
- A revealing; a disclosure. [Obs.]
- (Arch.) The side of an opening for a window, doorway, or the like, between the door frame or window frame and the outer surface of the wall; or, where the opening is not filled with a door, etc., the whole thickness of the wall; the jamb. [Written also revel.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Revel'
- Revel: Revel may refer to: Places : Revel, Haute-Garonne , a commune of the Haute-Garonne department in south-western France ...
- Harry Revel: Harry Revel (21 December 1905 – 3 November 1958) was an English composer of musical theatre . Revel was born in London . Before ...
- Revel, Haute-Garonne: Revel (Revèl) is a commune of the Haute-Garonne department in south-western France . General information : Revel is a town of approximately ...
- Revel Entertainment Group: Revel Entertainment Group, LLC, commonly referred to as Revel, is a gaming and entertainment company that is presently developing a ...
- Revel (album): Revel is the first official release by the Richmond, Virginia , based Pat McGee Band . Track listing ": "Passion" 4:21" "Straight Curve" 5:27" ...
- Revel, Isère: Revel is a commune in the Isère department in south-eastern France . See also : Communes of the Isère department Category:Communes of Isère ...
- Master of the Revels: The Master of the Revels was a position within the English, and later the British, royal household heading the "Revels Office" or "Office ...
- Bernard Revel: Bernard (Dov) Revel (September 17, 1885-1940) was an Orthodox rabbi and scholar. He served as the first President of Yeshiva College ...
- Hiram Rhodes Revels: Hiram Rhodes Revels (September 27, 1827 – January 16, 1901) was the first African American to serve in the United States Senate . ...
Words and phrases related to 'Revel'
Revel Sample Sentences in News
- Revel Casino Goes to Auction on September 24
Atlantic City's shuttered Revel casino hotel will go to auction on September 24. A judge handed down the decision Monday, after a standoff between creditors and the bankrupt casino's only bidder. Read more on this news related to 'Revel'
- Atlantic City's Revel casino goes to auction after heated hearing
By Tom Hals (Reuters) - The bankrupt Revel casino hotel in Atlantic City will go to auction on Sept. 24, a judge ruled on Monday, after the only bidder clashed with creditors who wanted to slow the rushed sale. Judge Gloria Burns in Camden, New Jersey also set Sept. 23 as the deadline for competing bids to top the $90 million offered by Florida developer Glenn Str Read more on this news related to 'Revel'
- Revel Draws New Interest After Straub’s $90 Million Offer
Revel Atlantic City stands in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on July 17, 2014. Close Revel Atlantic City stands in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on July 17, 2014. Read more on this news related to 'Revel'