Retreat Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- withdrawal for prayer and study and meditation; "a religious retreat"
- (military) withdrawal of troops to a more favorable position to escape the enemy''s superior forces or after a defeat; "the disorderly retreat of French troops"
- an area where you can be alone
- (military) a bugle call signaling the lowering of the flag at sunset
- (military) a signal to begin a withdrawal from a dangerous position
- a place of privacy; a place affording peace and quiet
- make a retreat from an earlier commitment or activity; "We''ll have to crawfish out from meeting with him"; "He backed out of his earlier promise"; "The aggressive investment company pulled in its horns"
- pull back or move away or backward; "The enemy withdrew"; "The limo pulled away from the curb"
- move back; "The glacier retrogrades"
- move away, as for privacy; "The Pope retreats to Castelgondolfo every summer"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- (military) withdrawal of troops to a more favorable position to escape the enemy's superior forces or after a defeat; "the disorderly retreat of French troops" ,
- a place of privacy; a place affording peace and quiet ,
- (military) a signal to begin a withdrawal from a dangerous position ,
- (military) a bugle call signaling the lowering of the flag at sunset ,
- an area where you can be alone ,
- withdrawal for prayer and study and meditation; "the religious retreat is a form of vacation activity"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Retreat'?
Retreat Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A military withdrawal or retreat is a type of military operation. It generally means pulling back forces while maintaining contact with the enemy. There are several reasons why a military force would retreat. A force might pull back to occupy ground that is easier to defend. A retreat may be used to lead an enemy into an ambush. It may be moving back as quickly as possible in order to save your army from defeat. A withdrawal or retreat can be risky. It requires discipline to keep forces organized and not turn a retreat into a rout. Care must also be taken so a retreat does not damage a force's morale.
A withdrawal may be necessary when a defending force is outmatched or on disadvantageous ground. But it is usually important to cause as much damage to an enemy as possible. In such a case, the retreating force may employ a number of tactics and strategies. These are to slow an enemy's progress. This could include setting mines or booby traps during or before withdrawal. Sometimes ambush by a small force can slow or stop an enemy advance. Also, leading the enemy into prepared artillery barrages, or the use of scorched earth tactics.
Words and phrases related to 'Retreat'
'Retreat' example sentence in quotations
* First of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. - Franklin D. Roosevelt
* Books, I found, had the power to make time stand still, retreat or fly into the future. - Jim
Click here for more related quotations on 'Retreat'
Retreat Sample Sentences in News
- Covidien Supports Retreat & Refresh Stroke Camp for Stroke Survivors and Caregivers
Covidien is sponsoring the Retreat & Refresh Stroke Camp , a three-day retreat for stroke survivors, caregivers and family members dedicated to helping these often forgotten victims of stroke relax and heal. Read more on this news related to 'Retreat'
- Retreat of Russian shoppers fails to dent Dubai retailers
By Sagarika Jaisinghani DUBAI (Reuters) - Russian shoppers caught in a currency crunch are staying away from the Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF) this year, but visitors from elsewhere look set to make up the numbers at the annual retail bonanza. Every January, Dubai is decked out in lights, banners and roadside ornaments heralding the event. Dubai, one of seven fede Read more on this news related to 'Retreat'
- Serra Retreat: Malibu's Best-Kept Secret
Father Mel Jurisich, director of Serra Retreat, is in an even better mood than usual these days. Last week, Pope Francis announced his intention to canonize Serra Retreat’s namesake – Father Junipero Read more on this news related to 'Retreat'