Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Residual'
Residual Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : relating to or indicating a remainder; "residual quantity"
- something left after other parts have been taken away; "there was no remainder"; "he threw away the rest"; "he took what he wanted and I got the balance" [syn: remainder, balance, residue, residuum, rest]
- (often plural) a payment that is made to a performer or writer or director of a television show or commercial that is paid for every repeat showing; "he could retire on his residuals"
- Residual \Re*sid"u*al\, n. (Math.)
(a) The difference of the results obtained by observation,
and by computation from a formula.
(b) The difference between the mean of several observations
and any one of them.
- Residual \Re*sid"u*al\ (r?-z?d"?-al), a. [See Residue.]
Pertaining to a residue; remaining after a part is taken.
Residual air (Physiol.), that portion of air contained in
the lungs which can not be expelled even by the most
violent expiratory effort. It amounts to from 75 to 100
cubic inches. Cf. Supplemental air, under
Residual error. (Mensuration) See Error, 6
Residual figure (Geom.), the figure which remains after a
less figure has been taken from a greater one.
Residual magnetism (Physics), remanent magnetism. See under
Residual product, a by product, as cotton waste from a
cotton mill, coke and coal tar from gas works, etc.
Residual quantity (Alg.), a binomial quantity the two parts
of which are connected by the negative sign, as a-b.
Residual root (Alg.), the root of a residual quantity, as
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Residual'
- Residual: A residual is generally a quantity left over at the end of a process. It may refer to: Residual volume , the amount of air left in the ...
- Errors and residuals in statistics: In statistics and optimization , statistical errors and residuals are two closely related and easily confused measures of the deviation ...
- Residual (entertainment industry): A residual is a payment made to the creator of performance art (or the performer in the work) for subsequent showings or screenings of the ...
- Residual (numerical analysis): Loosely speaking, a residual is the error in a result. To be precise, suppose we want to find x such that : f(x)b.\, of x, the residual is : ...
- Residual frame: In video compression algorithms a residual frame is formed by subtracting the reference frame from the desired frame . or residual frame . ...
- Residual-current device: A residual-current device (RCD), similar to a residual current circuit breaker (RCCB), is an electrical wiring device that disconnects a ...
Words and phrases related to 'Residual'
Residual Sample Sentences in News
- Residual Kid: It's not child's play
When Max Redman answered the phone, he said, "Yo." Redman is 13 and the bass player in Residual Kid. His bandmantes, Ben Redman and Deven Ivy, are both 15. That "yo" belies a level of cool most kids that age never reach. This isn't child's play. Residual Kid plays in the big league. Read more on this news related to 'Residual'
- Response to tainted water raises concerns
CHINA - As local authorities in Lanzhou, Gansu province, continued to investigate the city's tap water contamination on Sunday, experts and local residents have raised questions over the delayed response and lack of timely information from authorities and the water supplier. The contamination was caused by a residual oil leak stemming from an oil tank explosio Read more on this news related to 'Residual'
- Tyco Closes Sale of Atkore International
Tyco International completed the sale of its residual interest in its former electrical and metal products business, Atkore International, in a cash deal valued at around $250 million. Read more on this news related to 'Residual'