Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Residual'
Residual Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : relating to or indicating a remainder; "residual quantity"
- something left after other parts have been taken away; "there was no remainder"; "he threw away the rest"; "he took what he wanted and I got the balance" [syn: remainder, balance, residue, residuum, rest]
- (often plural) a payment that is made to a performer or writer or director of a television show or commercial that is paid for every repeat showing; "he could retire on his residuals"
- Residual \Re*sid"u*al\, n. (Math.)
(a) The difference of the results obtained by observation,
and by computation from a formula.
(b) The difference between the mean of several observations
and any one of them.
- Residual \Re*sid"u*al\ (r?-z?d"?-al), a. [See Residue.]
Pertaining to a residue; remaining after a part is taken.
Residual air (Physiol.), that portion of air contained in
the lungs which can not be expelled even by the most
violent expiratory effort. It amounts to from 75 to 100
cubic inches. Cf. Supplemental air, under
Residual error. (Mensuration) See Error, 6
Residual figure (Geom.), the figure which remains after a
less figure has been taken from a greater one.
Residual magnetism (Physics), remanent magnetism. See under
Residual product, a by product, as cotton waste from a
cotton mill, coke and coal tar from gas works, etc.
Residual quantity (Alg.), a binomial quantity the two parts
of which are connected by the negative sign, as a-b.
Residual root (Alg.), the root of a residual quantity, as
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Residual'
- Residual: A residual is generally a quantity left over at the end of a process. It may refer to: Residual volume , the amount of air left in the ...
- Errors and residuals in statistics: In statistics and optimization , statistical errors and residuals are two closely related and easily confused measures of the deviation ...
- Residual (entertainment industry): A residual is a payment made to the creator of performance art (or the performer in the work) for subsequent showings or screenings of the ...
- Residual (numerical analysis): Loosely speaking, a residual is the error in a result. To be precise, suppose we want to find x such that : f(x)b.\, of x, the residual is : ...
- Residual frame: In video compression algorithms a residual frame is formed by subtracting the reference frame from the desired frame . or residual frame . ...
- Residual-current device: A residual-current device (RCD), similar to a residual current circuit breaker (RCCB), is an electrical wiring device that disconnects a ...
Words and phrases related to 'Residual'
Residual Sample Sentences in News
- MINI vehicles hold more of their value than any other brand,
MINI has the strongest UK residual values of 34 car manufacturers, an independent study by Glass’s has found. With an annual average depreciation of just 16.4 per cent, MINI customers benefit from the strongest residual values in the industry. Read more on this news related to 'Residual'
- The Fed’s plan to tackle residual risks to financial stability
In her address to the FOMC, Yellen said Fed staff are actively considering additional measures that could address these and other residual risks in the short-term wholesale funding markets. Read more on this news related to 'Residual'
- PIRA Energy Group's Weekly Natural Gas, Power and Coal Market Recap for the Week Ending April 20th 2014
As Asian LNG spot prices decrease, flexible buyer opportunities increase; meanwhile in spite of a generally residual role in European electricity power, exposure to Russian gas is diverse among power markets. (PRWeb April 23, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/04/prweb11788321.htm Read more on this news related to 'Residual'