Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Residual'
Residual Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : relating to or indicating a remainder; "residual quantity"
- something left after other parts have been taken away; "there was no remainder"; "he threw away the rest"; "he took what he wanted and I got the balance" [syn: remainder, balance, residue, residuum, rest]
- (often plural) a payment that is made to a performer or writer or director of a television show or commercial that is paid for every repeat showing; "he could retire on his residuals"
- Residual \Re*sid"u*al\, n. (Math.)
(a) The difference of the results obtained by observation,
and by computation from a formula.
(b) The difference between the mean of several observations
and any one of them.
- Residual \Re*sid"u*al\ (r?-z?d"?-al), a. [See Residue.]
Pertaining to a residue; remaining after a part is taken.
Residual air (Physiol.), that portion of air contained in
the lungs which can not be expelled even by the most
violent expiratory effort. It amounts to from 75 to 100
cubic inches. Cf. Supplemental air, under
Residual error. (Mensuration) See Error, 6
Residual figure (Geom.), the figure which remains after a
less figure has been taken from a greater one.
Residual magnetism (Physics), remanent magnetism. See under
Residual product, a by product, as cotton waste from a
cotton mill, coke and coal tar from gas works, etc.
Residual quantity (Alg.), a binomial quantity the two parts
of which are connected by the negative sign, as a-b.
Residual root (Alg.), the root of a residual quantity, as
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Residual'
- Residual: A residual is generally a quantity left over at the end of a process. It may refer to: Residual volume , the amount of air left in the ...
- Errors and residuals in statistics: In statistics and optimization , statistical errors and residuals are two closely related and easily confused measures of the deviation ...
- Residual (entertainment industry): A residual is a payment made to the creator of performance art (or the performer in the work) for subsequent showings or screenings of the ...
- Residual (numerical analysis): Loosely speaking, a residual is the error in a result. To be precise, suppose we want to find x such that : f(x)b.\, of x, the residual is : ...
- Residual frame: In video compression algorithms a residual frame is formed by subtracting the reference frame from the desired frame . or residual frame . ...
- Residual-current device: A residual-current device (RCD), similar to a residual current circuit breaker (RCCB), is an electrical wiring device that disconnects a ...
Words and phrases related to 'Residual'
Residual Sample Sentences in News
- UK residual waste treatment infrastructure facing troubled future, report suggests
Residual waste treatment infrastructure will be unable to cope with waste volumes over the next ten years, according to a new report published by recycling and waste management firm SITA UK. Read more on this news related to 'Residual'
- Residual symptoms linked to poor functioning in euthymic bipolar disorder
Residual symptoms are associated with functional impairment in euthymic individuals with bipolar disorder, a large observational study has shown. Read more on this news related to 'Residual'
- Subaru Canada Earns Two 2014 ALG Canadian Residual Value Awards
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Feb. 12, 2014 /CNW/ - Subaru Canada, Inc. today announced that it has received two Canadian Residual Value Awards from ALG, the industry benchmark for residual values and depreciation data. The Subaru BRZ was awarded ALG's Residual Value Award in the Sports Car segment for the second consecutive year, while the Outback received the award in th Read more on this news related to 'Residual'