Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Required'
- necessary for relief or supply; "provided them with all things needful" [syn: needed, needful, requisite]
- required by rule; "in most schools physical education are compulsory"; "attendance is mandatory"; "required reading" [syn: compulsory, mandatory]
- Require \Re*quire"\ (r?-kw?r"), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Required
(-kw?rd"); p. pr. & vb. n. Requiring.] [OE. requeren,
requiren, OF. requerre, F. requ?rir; L. pref. re- re- +
quaerere to ask; cf. L. requirere. See Query, and cf.
- To demand; to insist upon having; to claim as by right and authority; to exact; as, to require the surrender of property. Shall I say to C[ae]sar What you require of him? --Shak. By nature did what was by law required. --Dryden.
- To demand or exact as indispensable; to need. just gave what life required, and gave no more. --Goldsmith. The two last [biographies] require to be particularly noticed. --J. A. Symonds.
- To ask as a favor; to request. I was ashamed to require of the king a band of soldiers and horsemen to help us against the enemy in the way. --Ezra viii. 22. Syn: To claim; exact; enjoin; prescribe; direct; order; demand; need.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Required'
In engineering, a requirement is a singular documented need of what a particular product or service should be or perform. It is most commonly used in a formal sense in systems engineering, software engineering, or enterprise engineering. It is a statement that identifies a necessary attribute, capability, characteristic, or quality of a system in order for it to have value and utility to a user.
In the classical engineering approach, sets of requirements are used as inputs into the design stages of product development. Requirements are also an important input into the verification process, since tests should trace back to specific requirements. Requirements show what elements and functions are necessary for the particular project.
The requirements development phase may have been preceded by a feasibility study, or a conceptual analysis phase of the project. The requirements phase may be broken down into requirements elicitation (gathering, understanding, reviewing, and articulating the needs of the stakeholders).[See more about Required at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Required'
'Required' in famous quotation sentence
* The pupil who is never required to do what he cannot do, never does what he can do. - John Stuart Mill
* The Vietnam War required us to emphasize the national interest rather than abstract principles. ... What President Nixon and I tried to do was unnatural. And that is why we didn't make it. - Henry Kissinger
Click here for more related quotations on 'Required'
Required Sample Sentences in News
- Why a ban on plastic guns is likely to be renewed
Plastic guns will likely be required to still have some metal parts under federal law. But an effort to make plastic guns more detectable, by requiring plastic guns to have an unremovable metal part, seems likely to fail Monday. Read more on this news related to 'Required'
- Lower Macungie to detail plans for on-lot sewer program
Hundreds of homeowners in Lower Macungie will be required to have their on-lot sewer systems pumped out every five years under a new ordinance that takes effect next year. Read more on this news related to 'Required'
- Cost of opening account will come down: Analysts
Investors are no longer required to pay stamp duty for opening of demat accounts under the new guidelines introduced by the market regulator SEBI. Simpler, cheaper The S... Read more on this news related to 'Required'