Requiem Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
- a song or hymn of mourning composed or performed as a memorial to a dead person [syn: dirge, coronach, lament, threnody]
- a musical setting for a Mass celebrating the dead
- a Mass celebrated for the dead
- Requiem \Re"qui*em\ (r?"kw?-?m;277), n. [Acc. of L. requies
rest, the first words of the Mass being ``Requiem aeternam
dona eis, Domine,'' give eternal rest to them, O lord; pref.
re- re + quies quiet. See Quiet, n., and cf. Requin.]
- (R.C.Ch.) A mass said or sung for the repose of a departed soul. We should profane the service of the dead To sing a requiem and such rest to her As to peace-parted souls. --Shak.
- Any grand musical composition, performed in honor of a deceased person.
- Rest; quiet; peace. [Obs.] Else had I an eternal requiem kept, And in the arms of peace forever slept. --Sandys.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Requiem'?
Requiem Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A Requiem (or Requiem Mass) is a eucharist service in the Roman Catholic church to remember someone who has died. There are special words for a requiem mass. They are in Latin. The best-known part of the requiem mass starts with the words “Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine” (“Give them eternal rest, O Lord”). This is why it is called a “requiem”.
Many composers throughout the centuries have composed music to these words. The word “requiem” can mean a piece of music which sets the words of the requiem mass.
Celebration of the eucharist in honour of people who have died goes back at least as far as the 2nd century.
In the Middle Ages the words of the requiem mass were sung to Gregorian chant.[See more about Requiem at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Requiem'
Requiem Sample Sentences in News
- 'War Requiem': Classical act of defiance in the name of peace
Pacifist Benjamin Britten's 'War Requiem' resounded in a time of conflict. The piece will be conducted by James Conlon in Costa Mesa and Disney Hall. Can a serious, lengthy, topical piece of contemporary music make an impact beyond the classical music scene and possibly change the world a little bit in doing so? That's what happened with Benjamin B Read more on this news related to 'Requiem'
- Review: Benjamin Britten's 'War Requiem' young again at Disney Hall
Young orchestra musicians and singers from USC, the Colburn School, Cal State Long Beach and Fullerton fit with its antiwar hope. Art has yet to stop war from exercising its horrifying folly. Still we try. Read more on this news related to 'Requiem'
- 'War Requiem': A piece that bears repetition
A number of new releases of 'War Requiem' recordings confirm the work's status as a classic. As if to underscore the classic status of Britten's "War Requiem," a swarm of new and old recordings of the piece has been released this fall. Coming this week will be a new recording led by Antonio Pappano, with a glittering trio of soloists (Ann Read more on this news related to 'Requiem'