Requiem Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
- a song or hymn of mourning composed or performed as a memorial to a dead person [syn: dirge, coronach, lament, threnody]
- a musical setting for a Mass celebrating the dead
- a Mass celebrated for the dead
- Requiem \Re"qui*em\ (r?"kw?-?m;277), n. [Acc. of L. requies
rest, the first words of the Mass being ``Requiem aeternam
dona eis, Domine,'' give eternal rest to them, O lord; pref.
re- re + quies quiet. See Quiet, n., and cf. Requin.]
- (R.C.Ch.) A mass said or sung for the repose of a departed soul. We should profane the service of the dead To sing a requiem and such rest to her As to peace-parted souls. --Shak.
- Any grand musical composition, performed in honor of a deceased person.
- Rest; quiet; peace. [Obs.] Else had I an eternal requiem kept, And in the arms of peace forever slept. --Sandys.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Requiem'?
Requiem Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A Requiem (or Requiem Mass) is a eucharist service in the Roman Catholic church to remember someone who has died. There are special words for a requiem mass. They are in Latin. The best-known part of the requiem mass starts with the words “Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine” (“Give them eternal rest, O Lord”). This is why it is called a “requiem”.
Many composers throughout the centuries have composed music to these words. The word “requiem” can mean a piece of music which sets the words of the requiem mass.
Celebration of the eucharist in honour of people who have died goes back at least as far as the 2nd century.
In the Middle Ages the words of the requiem mass were sung to Gregorian chant.[See more about Requiem at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Requiem'
Requiem Sample Sentences in News
- Muti conducts 'Requiem' for WWI 100th anniversary
ROME (AP) — Maestro Riccardo Muti is conducting Verdi's Requiem Mass in northeastern Italy to mark the 100th anniversary of World War I's outbreak in Europe and honor its millions of war dead. Read more on this news related to 'Requiem'
- Dow Falls 0.8% on Troubling Earnings News
The blue chips dip below 17,000 as Amazon, Visa disappoint. Requiem for an ace trader. Weakness at Wal-Mart. Tupperware aims to put a lid on its problems. Read more on this news related to 'Requiem'
- Review: No Requiem for the Space Age
Forty-five years after Apollo 11, people still contemplate why that historic mission didn't open a new era of space exploration. Jeff Foust reviews a book that argues that Apollo, and human space exploration, were victims of a change in cultures in America at the time of the Moon landing. Read more on this news related to 'Requiem'