Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Reliever'
- someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult); "the star had a stand-in for dangerous scenes"; "we need extra employees for summer fill-ins" [syn: stand-in, substitute, relief, backup, backup man, fill-in]
- a person who reduces the intensity (e.g., of fears) and calms and pacifies; "a reliever of anxiety"; "an allayer of fears" [syn: allayer, comforter]
- a pitcher who does not start the game [syn: relief pitcher, fireman]
- Reliever \Re*liev"er\ (-?r), n.
One who, or that which, relieves.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Reliever'
A relief pitcher or reliever is a baseball or softball pitcher who enters the game after the starting pitcher is removed due to injury, ineffectiveness, fatigue, ejection, or for other strategic reasons, such as being substituted by a pinch hitter. Relief pitchers are further divided informally into closers, set-up relief pitchers, middle relief pitchers, left-handed specialists, long relievers, and mop-up relief pitchers.
The importance of relief pitchers has increased significantly since the 1960s. This change in mindsets can be seen by watching any major game, as well as by monitoring the salaries of such pitchers. In decades past, the relief pitcher was merely an ex-starter who came into a game upon the injury, ineffectiveness, or fatigue of the starting pitcher. The bullpen was for old starters who had lost the ability to throw effectively. Many of these pitchers would be able to flourish in this diminished role. Those such as Dennis Eckersley, as with many others, actually prolonged their diminishing careers and often sparked them to new life. The added rest to their arms as well as the lessened exposure of their abilities became an advantage many would learn to capitalize on. Facing some batters only once a season, the opposition would have greater difficulty in preparation for the game.[See more about Reliever at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Reliever'
Reliever Sample Sentences in News
- Blue Jays place reliever Oliver on 15-day DL
The Blue Jays placed reliever Darren Oliver on the 15-day disabled list on Friday with a left shoulder strain, clearing roster space for Sean Nolin, whom the club already had announced would start Friday night's game against the Orioles. Read more on this news related to 'Reliever'
- Veteran Blue Jays reliever Darren Oliver goes on DL
The Toronto Blue Jays have placed left-handed reliever Darren Oliver on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain, while lefty J.A. Happ has also been moved to the 60-day disabled list as he recovers from injuries after taking a ball in the head during a game earlier this month. Read more on this news related to 'Reliever'
- Orioles left-handed reliever Troy Patton struggling with fastball
Last season, Orioles reliever Troy Patton did a tremendous job serving as a left-handed bridge between the team’s starters and late-inning relievers. Read more on this news related to 'Reliever'